Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Refer a Friend discout for previous customer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

I was with DirecTV from '97 to about 2004. Then I signed up in '06-'08. I'm once again thinking about going back. I was going to try to help both my friend and myself by signing up with the Refer a Friend discount, but will D* allow this since I am a previous customer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

Very doubtful, but I'm not sure.

I would be VERY surprised if they allowed it.

#3 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

You should of course try it and make sure you follow the specific directions so that both the friend and you get the referral discount.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#4 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, but I'm not going DirecTV anymore.

First, they won't allow the referral. No problem, didn't expect that.

Second, and more importantly, right after telling me that I had been a great customer in the past and that my account was always current, they told me that I had to buy all my equipment, that free HD for life is only for new customers and that they were offering me nothing to return.

This was after another CSR had offered me a free HD DVR, free HD Receiver and $199 HD DVR. But they couldn't offer the free HD for Life even though there is a 65 page thread here of people getting at least 24 months. I was told the first CSR was incorrect in offering me anything. Basically, I was told go **** myself.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks, but I'm not going DirecTV anymore.

First, they won't allow the referral. No problem, didn't expect that.

Second, and more importantly, right after telling me that I had been a great customer in the past and that my account was always current, they told me that I had to buy all my equipment, that free HD for life is only for new customers and that they were offering me nothing to return.

This was after another CSR had offered me a free HD DVR, free HD Receiver and $199 HD DVR. But they couldn't offer the free HD for Life even though there is a 65 page thread here of people getting at least 24 months. I was told the first CSR was incorrect in offering me anything. Basically, I was told go **** myself.

So, 2 CSRs tell you 2 different things and you take what one said as the final truth? I'd have called, again.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

So, 2 CSRs tell you 2 different things and you take what one said as the final truth? I'd have called, again.

Called back and was told pretty much the same thing as the second guy. I was told that because I paid the early termination fee a few years ago, when they were broadcasting HD Lite, that I was not eligible for the same deals they offer to other returning customers. Now I remember why I hated DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

I guess they see you as a liable customer since you broke the contract before, you could do it again.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

I guess they see you as a liable customer since you broke the contract before, you could do it again.

Broke a contract..... I paid the damn fee, and it was only my last two months. It was a lousy $40 charge.

#9 OFFLINE   gilg1

gilg1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

If you are married you can always sign up with your wife's SSN. That way she is considered the new customer and you get everything new customers get including the referral discount.

#10 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

If you are married you can always sign up with your wife's SSN. That way she is considered the new customer and you get everything new customers get including the referral discount.

Yeah I know. I even told the CSR that I could do that, so what was the difference. She said, "but then your wife might have to pay a depost." To which I let her know that my wife has a 800 credit score, just like mine. Nice try though.

Can you stack the referral discount with the AAA discount?

#11 OFFLINE   gilg1

gilg1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

Don't think so

#12 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Called back and was told pretty much the same thing as the second guy. I was told that because I paid the early termination fee a few years ago, when they were broadcasting HD Lite, that I was not eligible for the same deals they offer to other returning customers. Now I remember why I hated DirecTV.

Have someone send you a referral by email. Then click the link in the email. Put in your friends account number in when asked. Save the $19.99 shipping charge by ordering online. I think the online order system does not care when or if you were a previous customer or under circumstances. You even get the second year discount if available in your area.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...