Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it possible to lose reception on a transponder?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   billoh

billoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

I'm beginning to have reception problems on sat 61.5 due to trees (I'm pretty sure). However, I seem to be losing a channel on transponder 30 (434 NESN)while channels on transponder 5 (Boston locals) are working. Is this possible? Can a signal be weaker on different transponders?
The trees in question are very tall and not on my property, so I'm not sure how to solve the basic problem just yet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

The spotbeams at 61.5 come from a different and relatively newer satellite (7 year old instead of 13 years old). The older satellite will be replaced by September. If your aiming is off it is possible you would lose weaker transponders before stronger spotbeams.

I may be fighting the same problem today. I lost everything except my locals from 61.5 last night. We've had some poor weather lately. Time to check all the connections and aiming.

#3 OFFLINE   billoh

billoh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought (and my wife was sure) it was much more likely to be my impatience at watching games on SD than anything else. Now to get up on the roof and check the aiming and trees.
Did your answer imply that there is more than one satellite at that position? I'm clearly not very knowledgable about all this.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought (and my wife was sure) it was much more likely to be my impatience at watching games on SD than anything else. Now to get up on the roof and check the aiming and trees.
Did your answer imply that there is more than one satellite at that position? I'm clearly not very knowledgable about all this.

Yes many of DISH's satellite locations have more than one satellite at the location. That allows for a backup satellite and for stronger broadcasts.:)

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

As for mine ... we've had some nasty storms lately and it appears a branch in a tree has been bent down to about 15ft off of the ground into my LOS. :(

I did manage to get a better signal reaiming my dish but I expect I'll be giving that tree a trimming. While aiming the wind blew a couple of times and the signal doubled. So I'm pretty sure what my problem is.

But before the aiming I had my spotbeam strong enough to get locals and no other transponders. After I had all my channels back. It is worth the work.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

As for mine ... we've had some nasty storms lately and it appears a branch in a tree has been bent down to about 15ft off of the ground into my LOS. :(

Taken from the center of the dish aimed at the proper azimuth/elevation for 61.5 ...
Posted Image
I win ... the tree loses. Signal strength doubled.

Hopefully yours will work out as well, bill.

spam firewall