Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody program a APC UPS not to beep?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

the software is there becasue it is used to auto shutdown a pc or a mac incase of power loss and the battery is reaching it's limit. In some configurations a 900 will only have 15-20 minutes of runtime when it goes to battery, using the software you can set a predetermined time for the machine to be on battery that the UPS will initiate a automatic shutdown of the computer. The removal of the beep is just a minor feature in the software

Believe if you get the units that are designed for a home tv hookup instead of one that is designed for a PC/MAC environment the beep is not present or it is configurable via the frontpanel

That is correct, the APC home theater units (available at Sam's Club for around $110) can disable beep from the front panel. I have 4 of them and they are all configured that way. The front panel LED display also shows input voltage, input frequency, charge state (run time), and actual power being consumed in watts. Very nice units, to be sure.

A couple of my other (older) APC units can turn the sound off, and several of the even older units cannot turn the beep off, no matter what, and for those you have to learn to tolerate it, go take them off line, or disconnect the speaker internally.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   MattWarner

MattWarner

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

An alternative method is to put a piece of tape over the little hole in the speaker. That will cut 80% of the noise.

This is exactly what I did for a UPS that didn't come with software (or I was too lazy to install it). A little electrical tape over the speaker and it is SOOOO much better. It still beeps, but doesn't annoy...

#23 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

The folks at APC chat are there pretty quick and will take the time with you.
By the way where do I put the tape?? I had one beeping in my lap and I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from.
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#24 OFFLINE   smassey22180

smassey22180

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

The folks at APC chat are there pretty quick and will take the time with you.
By the way where do I put the tape?? I had one beeping in my lap and I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from.

You need to take the cover off. The speaker is soldered to the printed circuit board.

http://www.thepatri0...g-beep-forever/

#25 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

Removing the cover seems a bit drastic to me. I was beginning to think that was the way because I did see where someone pried the speaker off the circuit board.
Anyhow the PCPES software is available from the APC website - www.apc.com.
I was using the chat line at APC and they INSISTED that I download their latest version from a link provided - for Vista it was V 2.2.
V 2.1 came on the CD with the equipment which I wanted to use, but was persuaded otherwise.
Needless to say the ftp link provided version of V 2.2 for Vista WOULD NOT WORK!! After about a day and a half, the folks at chat were stumped until I suggested that I try V 2.1 on the CD WHICH NATURALLY WORKED!! I am guessing the ftped version would work for them, but not for an "ordinary user", probably permissions.
You have to have the cable connected for it to work. The cable goes from USB to the RJ45 connector on the side of the unit (mine is an APC ES 550g).
Once installed, which doesn't take much time, you execute the program. Click on "notification" on the left, then on the right you can see options enable alarms, disable alarms, etc. Select you choice, click on apply and IT WORKED!! (or not worked if you mean NO ALARMS).
It took two days to "break the code", one day at least due to the agent's insistance that I use the "latest version".
I tested it on several units turning on, then off the alarms. It workes as requested!! GOOD LUCK!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,380 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Installed one right after a extended power loss that caused us to lose 3 chest freezers of beef and pork just after we paid for it and it was delievered.

whole house powered by natural gas was a wise investment 10 years ago, it has paid for itself many times over

Years ago, an oil delivery company in our town had a sign on it's roof that they rented to a natural gas company. It said, "Go modern, go gas!". The day after it was put up, it said, "Go modern, go gas, go BOOM!" We suspected the oil company changed the sign. :lol:

That's a true story, by the way.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

Years ago, an oil delivery company in our town had a sign on it's roof that they rented to a natural gas company. It said, "Go modern, go gas!". The day after it was put up, it said, "Go modern, go gas, go BOOM!" We suspected the oil company changed the sign. :lol:

That's a true story, by the way.

Rich

If you say so

#28 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Gee what is that? I thought a UPS WAS a battery backup.
Shows what I know I guess.

He most likely meant an APC "Back-Ups", which is one line of APC UPS units.

#29 OFFLINE   HiDefGator

HiDefGator

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I use to pry the speakers off all of mine. Pliers and a gentle twist. Worked every time. The new ones are just too easy to hook up to a computer and disable the speaker that way though.

#30 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

I use to pry the speakers off all of mine. Pliers and a gentle twist. Worked every time. The new ones are just too easy to hook up to a computer and disable the speaker that way though.

A hammer works for that too....but your results might just be different. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#31 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

I've used the supplied PowerChute or PowerPanel software to turn off the beeps on all my APC and CyberPower UPS's here. The beeping when AC is lost doesn't bother me (save for the one in the bedroom), but drives my greyhound nuts.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...