Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

So I tried to go back to DirecTV...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I called and tried to reorder, but kept getting stuck on the "Free HD". The CSR kept saying that it was only for new customers. It's not a lot of money, but it ticked me off. I'm not a current customer, I am currently with cable, shouldn't I be eligible for this promotion? Just because I had service years ago doesn't mean that they are getting any money out of me now. I would think that they would want someone that was buying their highest package and a bunch of add-ons. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   acer505

acer505

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

If you are married just have your wife call and use her name and a different credit card.
That will work.

#3 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

You could ask about the 24 months of FreeHD for current customers. Who knows, by the end of the 24 month period, HD may be included in the base packages.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

If you are married just have your wife call and use her name and a different credit card.
That will work.

Better still. Use the wife, different credit card and the "Tell A Friend" promo!

#5 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

and/or the AAA offer.

#6 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

How many years ago? They considered me a new customer after I was absent for seven years.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#7 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Can you really combine the AAA and Refer a Friend discount?

#8 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

So I just called again. Now I'm being told that I don't qualify for any promotions and that I would have to buy all my equipment, when the last guy told me free HD DVR, free HD receiver and $199 for second DVR. My account was always in good standing, that was the first thing they mentioned when they took the call.

What the hell is going on over there. Do they not want customers back?

#9 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

hmm. did you use your wife's SSN? the credit check is based on that, and that determines if you have to pay a deposit...

I'd call back and ask for the Reconnects Dept if you intend to reconnect your old acct. If you've been gone more than a year, you should be eligible for a returning customer offer.

Edited by xmetalx, 28 June 2010 - 03:45 PM.

DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

So I just called again. Now I'm being told that I don't qualify for any promotions and that I would have to buy all my equipment, when the last guy told me free HD DVR, free HD receiver and $199 for second DVR. My account was always in good standing, that was the first thing they mentioned when they took the call.

What the hell is going on over there. Do they not want customers back?

Welcome to "CSR roulette". I don't know how the phone system at DirecTV routes calls, but I've discovered that if you call very early in the morning, you get friendly, helpful CSR's who speak English. ;)

Calling during peak times (late afternoon/evening/weekends) generally results in frazzled, unhelpful CSR's who are probably in a bad mood from being yelled at by folks that have sat on hold or even been disconnected.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I've experienced it at many, many companies.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

Welcome to "CSR roulette". I don't know how the phone system at DirecTV routes calls, but I've discovered that if you call very early in the morning, you get friendly, helpful CSR's who speak English. ;)

Calling during peak times (late afternoon/evening/weekends) generally results in frazzled, unhelpful CSR's who are probably in a bad mood from being yelled at by folks that have sat on hold or even been disconnected.

It's a sad state of affairs, but I've experienced it at many, many companies.

+1

I haven't noticed the frazzled CSR's in the evening since I never call then anymore. There's much less wait time with an early-morning call. My last two calls were in the afternoon PDT and the CSR's were both pleasant and helpful.

I won't go into the hoops I went through on the phone for over one hour earlier this week trying to straighten out my Verizon bill. I think it's ok now, but I asked for email confirmation and have yet to receive it 48 hours later.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#12 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

+1

I haven't noticed the frazzled CSR's in the evening since I never call then anymore. There's much less wait time with an early-morning call. My last two calls were in the afternoon PDT and the CSR's were both pleasant and helpful.

I won't go into the hoops I went through on the phone for over one hour earlier this week trying to straighten out my Verizon bill. I think it's ok now, but I asked for email confirmation and have yet to receive it 48 hours later.

For 5 months in a row, my Verizon bill has been wrong at my new office. I was quoted $79.95 plus fees and taxes for 1 line and internet. Last bill I recieved was for $142. For five months in a row, I've heard, "I corrected the bundle code, it will be right next month." I just laugh at this point, and have resolved that I will have to call once a month and get a credit, and listen to the "bundle" story.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

spam firewall