Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Summer Extravaganza

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

I caught this on Channel 102 earlier and looked at the website:

http://www.dishnetwo...ertain/preview/

Epix, Indieplex, Retroplex, HDNet Movies, and MGM are all going to have free previews with SD feeds added.

I love movies and all I have is a 625.

My question is for those of you guys who have these 5 movie channels. Are the movies all unedited with nothing cut out?

Commercials are okay with me. ie. Hulu.com runs commercials in their movies but the movies are all unedited with the F word and nudity in it's glory. But I won't watch anything edited for content.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:51 PM

Well I do not believe they are edited for content from what I've seen. OTOH Epix does do some editing to fit the screen.

It is done slickly tho. When I watched the Indiana Jones movies they started out with black bars top and bottom that slowly disappeared until the movie filled the HDTV Screen. I didn't even notice it until the end when the bars reappeared for the credits.

I have to say it was unobtrusive and didn't bother me. I'm glad to have the extra content.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,691 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

The preview has begun. One must have 129 or 72 for the HD feeds, 119 or 72 for the SD feeds.

SD Channels ...
387 RETRO - Retro TV
388 INDIE - Indie Channel
392 PLDIA - Paladia

HD Channels ...
378 INDIE - Indie Channel
379 RETRO - Retro TV
9469 PLDIA (369 HD) - Paladia

#4 OFFLINE   Dish97

Dish97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:24 AM

Well I do not believe they are edited for content from what I've seen. OTOH Epix does do some editing to fit the screen.

I have to say it was unobtrusive and didn't bother me. I'm glad to have the extra content.

Actually, you lose content without the "black bars". What is really distracting is the channel logo that interrupts the movie every 30 minutes! And the "plex" channels now cuts into the movie before the end to advertise up coming programs. :nono2:

#5 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:38 AM

Do you have to have the platinum service to recieve this HD, or is it covered with HD for life? It is nice having a video channel again like MTV used to be.

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,999 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

It is done slickly tho. When I watched the Indiana Jones movies they started out with black bars top and bottom that slowly disappeared until the movie filled the HDTV Screen. I didn't even notice it until the end when the bars reappeared for the credits.

The more movie channels they get the better!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

Do you have to have the platinum service to recieve this HD, or is it covered with HD for life? It is nice having a video channel again like MTV used to be.

Palladia is in Platinum.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#8 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

Actually, you lose content without the "black bars". What is really distracting is the channel logo that interrupts the movie every 30 minutes! And the "plex" channels now cuts into the movie before the end to advertise up coming programs. :nono2:

I do know you lose some content on the sides. However my point was that it was unobtrusive and took me a while to notice.

I'd much rather have that then stretch-o-vision. I'd rather have letter boxed than stretch-o-vision. I'd rather get poked in the eyes than watch stretch-o-vision.

#9 OFFLINE   Cable Lover

Cable Lover

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'd rather get poked in the eyes than watch stretch-o-vision.

You had me until the eye poking. :eek:
RIP Insight.

#10 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

I may have exaggerated just a little bit on the eyes thing, but I really can not stand to watch stretch-o-vision.

#11 OFFLINE   RJ Stiles

RJ Stiles

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

I've been looking around, but have not been able to find an answer to this question:

When Dish Network offers these free previews, are they watchable on a FTA receiver?
There used to be some free channels (such as NASA) that were clear, but they have since encrypted, so I'm wondering if the same is true of the free previews.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

When Dish Network offers these free previews, are they watchable on a FTA receiver?

No.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,695 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

I may have exaggerated just a little bit on the eyes thing, but I really can not stand to watch stretch-o-vision.

In our household - we would rather watch SD than HD stretch-o-vision.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall