Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need advice on the best way to upgrade to MRV in 3 rooms

vod

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fgrogan

fgrogan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

Looking for any advice on best approach to get the MRV/WHole House/Connected home system up and running, mainly on how to approach the upgrade of existing equipment for the best price with DirecTV.

I have been a subscriber since 1997. I have 3 DirecTivos in the house, 1 of which are still active (Philips DSR7000), 2 packed up. I also have a DirecTV R10 in use. Both active units are connected to old CRT SD TV's. Depending on how expensive the upgrade to MRV is, I might have to leave the SD sets running for a bit and replace with new HD sets as I can afford.

Other equipment is Sony 52" LCD HDTV with a HR21-700 connected (via Sony Receiver). HR21 has a AM21 attached as well as its connected to home router via Cat5e.

I have a OTA antenna in my garage attic which serves up local OTA HD via home run from a distribution amp in the basement to each room in the house. I have a few older SD sets in other parts of the house which only get the local HD via the OTA and a set top box, plus one little 15" HDTV in our master bath which just gets HD locals. All Directv is via a dish on the room (sorry, I do not know which model, but it was upgraded to be able to recieve HD on the HR21 about 2.5 years ago), via a 8 port multi-switch in the basement and then home runs to each TV location. We built the house 5.5 years ago (custom) and I did all of the low voltage wiring myself. Each potential TV location has 2 dual runs of RG6QS (4 total) and atleast 2 runs of CAT5e).

LAN config is pretty basic, DSL 4 mb down/1 mb up, Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v24 sp2. All of the Cat5e terminates into a patchpanel (voice seperate from data) and links to the Linksys via a Linksys 10/100 switch.

Lots of background info, hope its meaningful. My goal is to replace the 2 active SD receivers/Tivos with new HD DVR's, network them together and be able to share recordings while not losing any of the local OTA (nice for power outages, etc.).

The DIY/Geek in me is interested in trying to just get replacement HD DVRs from DirecTv and then use my LAN, but I've read enough that the trick play seems slower, plus I don't want to clog my home LAN. Not being supported is also a concern for the long run. On the other hand, I don't want to spend a ton of cash with DirecTV if possible. Keeping the video traffic just on the sat wiring does sound nice.

Current programming/packages are: Choice Ultimate w/locals, HBO, HD access pack. Services: HD, DVR. Extras: Protection plan

What do I need to order? 2 HR2x units and the Whole Home DVR service (call to activate shows on my account)? Any way to work a "deal" on getting the 2 HD DVR's to replace my Tivos? Any issues with the AM21 or OTA that I need to be aware of? Any other considerations?

I'm not worried about a 2 year commitment as I think DirecTv is the best game going for me. Not sure if this is the right subforum or not to post this. I've skimmed many of the technical forums regarding HD receivers, SD recievers and Connected Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

What do I need to order? 2 HR2x units and the Whole Home DVR service (call to activate shows on my account)? Any way to work a "deal" on getting the 2 HD DVR's to replace my Tivos? Any issues with the AM21 or OTA that I need to be aware of? Any other considerations?

I would call and tell them you want Whole Home DVR service without mentioning the DVR replacement (at least at first). Since the Tivo's aren't compatible with MRV, it's possible they might replace them for free, or at least give a decent discount.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

A lot of info there... Trying to figure out what your exact total setup currently is though...

It looks like you currently have one HR2x and two SD-receivers that you want upgraded, correct?

Your best bet would be to call up DirecTV and tell them that you want to upgrade the two receivers to HD-DVRs and also add Whole Home DVR Service with Internet Connection. The upgrade price is $99 plus $49 for installation, but sometimes all or some of that can be waived depending on your account history. The DVR upgrades will be an additional cost to that, but once again depending on your account history, you might pay less than the $400 retail cost for 2 HD-DVR's.

Your LNB on your dish will be replaced with a SWiM-LNB and a splitter will be placed most likely where your multi-switch is now. Only single runs will be needed to each of the receivers from this point on. Where one of the cable runs comes out near a receiver where you have a CAT5 run, you can just have the installer use a splitter there to hook up the DECA and PI that will be used to bridge to your home network (that is the Internet Connection Kit).

That's really all you need.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

I would call and tell them you want Whole Home DVR service without mentioning the DVR replacement (at least at first). Since the Tivo's aren't compatible with MRV, it's possible they might replace them for free, or at least give a decent discount.

The Tivo's will be swapped out with SD-DVR's though. He'll need to upgrade them to HD-DVR's anyways for MRV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vod

Protected By... spam firewall...And...