Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Auto Pay and Debit Cards Charged When Billed

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Just signed up for auto pay (for the free hd), and I read where credit cards are billed when the billing date is reached, and the debit card is billed a few days prior to the Due date. Unfortunately, I found that to be incorrect, as my Paypal debit card was charged on the billing date.

I called D* and was told there is no rule that debit cards are charged "a few days prior to due date". The CSR stated it may occur with some accounts, but is not specifically true with all billing.

So be aware, signing up for debit card auto pay, may generate immediate payment on the billing date for your account.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

I switched to ABP with my bank's debit card, and the payment came out on the due date.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

My credit card has always been charged on the billing date. I'm lucky because of my card's billing cycle, I then get 40 days to pay the bill. It's a non-issue for me.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

This is fairly normal behavior with autopay. Getting that money early is one of the reasons business like autopay so much.

#5 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Unfortunately, it was an issue for me, as I had a 0 balance on that Paypal card (since I had read here that D* wouldn't take it until some 3 weeks after my billing date). Was going to transfer funds to that Paypal account in plenty of time for that "auto pay". Paypal was my choice as I didn't want D* to have my bank debit card, for obvious reasons.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

Yes, please be aware that you should have the appropriate funds available when using auto-pay. Otherwise it is just auto-non-pay.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

I'll never get tired of repeating this:

Setup a bill pay account with your bank and pay D* on the day the bill is due.

That way you get to keep your money as long as possible.

#8 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

That's how my household has done it, until I had to use ABP for the 24 month free HD credit. I wish I didn't have to, but I like $240 total.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

This is fairly normal behavior with autopay. Getting that money early is one of the reasons business like autopay so much.

You should say, 'this is fairly normal behavior for Direct's autopay', I know of no other autopay system that charges prior to you being able to even see the bill, and certainly not before the bill is actually due and payable. It was one of the minor irritants I had when I was with D*.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

The amount that is expected to come out, is always online a couple of weeks before the deduction is made. Not real complicated IMO.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#11 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

But the bill is not due when they take the money. And if you change things around a bit, you get to fumble around the various credits and debits trying to figure out what wild accounting scheme they are using.

As I said, it was a minor irritant.

Lloyd

#12 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

The amount that is expected to come out, is always online a couple of weeks before the deduction is made. Not real complicated IMO.

Mine is somehow different. My monthly online list of charges and credits is not available until the actual monthly billing date. According to posts here a credit card would be charged at the same time giving no chance to review the coming charges even though the so called pay by date is a few days in the future.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#13 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Hmm. I looked back, I am able to see statements on the 14th, which are set as "due" on the 28th. My auto pay deduction has been 29th-1st.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hmm. I looked back, I am able to see statements on the 14th, which are set as "due" on the 28th. My auto pay deduction has been 29th-1st.

Either you're account is handled differently, or they've changed how they do things. Mine was always charged to my CC a day before the bill was available to view, and generally 2 days before they emailed saying the bill was ready to view.

Lloyd

#15 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

I don't get it. I consider the money already spent each month even before I get the bill, so what is the big deal about keeping your money as long as possible, its going to be spent sooner or later.

#16 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

I just checked my billing date and looks like it's gets billed on the 5TH oft the mouth.

I don't how to say this but fore the life of me i could never figure out my bill it's different every mount.

Maybe if i was still working and it was tax deductible i could give it to my accountant to figure out. But this is way over my head.

So i just hope for the best.:confused:

#17 OFFLINE   diggerg56

diggerg56

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

Do they not let newer accounts enroll in autoPay using a bank account anymore? My account has been that way for a long time and it's never deducted until just before the due date.

#18 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

I don't get it. I consider the money already spent each month even before I get the bill, so what is the big deal about keeping your money as long as possible, its going to be spent sooner or later.

It's called Interest.

#19 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

But how does that qualify for the Free HD for 24 months? Sure your bill is paid by your bank, on the day YOU designate, but how does that meet the stipulation that D* is on auto pay with credit/debit card, or bank account? When signing up for the bank account option with D*, there is no date that you can request for payment. So how did you qualify for the Free HD if you enable your bank to make the payment on the day you designate?

#20 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

It's called Interest.

Which amounts to pennies if you pay the bill when it cuts versus the actual due date.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

Protected By... spam firewall...And...