Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-500 Remote Control Problem

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FriscoJohnny

FriscoJohnny

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I have had my HR24-500 since late May. The remote control that came with it only works at very close range (< 2'). Getting it to work at a farther distance is hit-or-miss. This problem has existed since the day the installer brought the box.

I have tried replacing batteries. I have tried switching setup from IR to RF and back. I have tried resetting the receiver. I have tried the remote from other D* receivers, but I am not sure whether or not they are compatible.

How can I determine if I have a bad remote or a bad IR receiver in my HR24-500?

Edited by FriscoJohnny, 29 June 2010 - 02:56 PM.
Added clarification

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Any other IR DirecTV remote (that looks something like the HR24's remote... but not old RCA, Sony, etc.) will work. If another IR remote has limited range, the receiver has a problem.

Is the remote configured to control a tv? How is the range on that? If that's limited, the remote has a problem.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#3 OFFLINE   FriscoJohnny

FriscoJohnny

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for letting me know about the inter-receiver compatibility.

The remote is programmed to control the television and does so without any problem. The problem must be in the HR24. I should have been able to figure that out.

So now, how to get D* to fix it. I'd hate to have them dropship an older-model HR. I really like the HR24.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,076 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Sometime LCD TVs can block signals. If my backlight setting is too high, it can affect other components getting the signal.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for letting me know about the inter-receiver compatibility.

The remote is programmed to control the television and does so without any problem. The problem must be in the HR24. I should have been able to figure that out.

So now, how to get D* to fix it. I'd hate to have them dropship an older-model HR. I really like the HR24.

I also have a problem with my HR24. My universal remote doesn’t work with my HR24. However, it works great with my HR20. I fully troubleshot, still cannot figure it out. Here’s details if you’re interested: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179648

Someone else had the same problem as I, different universal remote.

As for your issue, what about a full reset? Wipeout everything and start fresh. What about calling DIRECTV and asking for a new remote? Worth a shot. Good luck!

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

I have had my HR24-500 since late May. The remote control that came with it only works at very close range (< 2'). Getting it to work at a farther distance is hit-or-miss. This problem has existed since the day the installer brought the box.

I have tried replacing batteries. I have tried switching setup from IR to RF and back. I have tried resetting the receiver. I have tried the remote from other D* receivers, but I am not sure whether or not they are compatible.

How can I determine if I have a bad remote or a bad IR receiver in my HR24-500?

Oh, that's just great. That's the problem I had with a new 23. Had to stand a foot away and it still didn't recognize the remote sig. Sent it back and put a 20-700 in it's place, same wiring, same remote and it worked perfectly. Now I have a 24-500 sitting in that same spot and this info kinda scares me. I like the 24, but I still have doubts about any HR except the 20-700s. I've only had the 24 for about a month and I've been hoping not to see posts such as yours.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Oh, that's just great. That's the problem I had with a new 23. Had to stand a foot away and it still didn't recognize the remote sig. Sent it back and put a 20-700 in it's place, same wiring, same remote and it worked perfectly. Now I have a 24-500 sitting in that same spot and this info kinda scares me. I like the 24, but I still have doubts about any HR except the 20-700s. I've only had the 24 for about a month and I've been hoping not to see posts such as yours.

Rich

Any "box" can be bad.
"My HR24" works fine.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

Speaking of Remotes; I got D* installed last weekend so I am still trying to set up the remote. Set it up for the TV, but the TV Input doesn't seem to do anything on the remote. Tried it on the other Receivers (3 HR 24s, 2 HD Receivers) and the TV Input doesn't work on any of them. I really like to not use my regular remote to switch to DVD.

Any magic to make it work?

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

Speaking of Remotes; I got D* installed last weekend so I am still trying to set up the remote. Set it up for the TV, but the TV Input doesn't seem to do anything on the remote. Tried it on the other Receivers (3 HR 24s, 2 HD Receivers) and the TV Input doesn't work on any of them. I really like to not use my regular remote to switch to DVD.

Any magic to make it work?

select TV on the slider
press mute & select [blinks twice]
enter 960 [blinks again]

"done"
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

select TV on the slider
press mute & select [blinks twice]
enter 960 [blinks again]

"done"

Really?? Well, thanks. I would have never guessed that sequence. Unless you go on this forum which is great, how would you ever figure out that one?

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Really?? Well, thanks. I would have never guessed that sequence. Unless you go on this forum which is great, how would you ever figure out that one?

[read the manual, like I did to post this]
  • rakstr likes this
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

I did - well, I went to the Index didn't find anything and than just skimmed through it. I think maybe tonight I take a close look.

Thanks again

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

I did - well, I went to the Index didn't find anything and than just skimmed through it. I think maybe tonight I take a close look.

Thanks again

"Real men" don't read manuals. :lol: :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,092 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

Any "box" can be bad.
"My HR24" works fine.

Mine does too, but with my luck...

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

Mine does too, but with my luck...

Rich

Your luck? What about my luck? Geez!

I have noticed that my HR24 isn't quite as sensitive to the RF remote as my HR22s are but not too bad....

#16 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Maybe you have a different manual; the manual that came with my HR24-500's does not mention using 9-6-0 to enable the TV Input control function.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Maybe you have a different manual; the manual that came with my HR24-500's does not mention using 9-6-0 to enable the TV Input control function.

Now you made me go look in the manual that came with my HR24. [real men don't read manuals] :( :lol:
The RC65RX seems to count on more of the self programing and onscreen instructions, than the earlier models and so the manual doesn't have as much information as with the earlier models.
I was reading from the Universal RF Remote Control User Guide that I think came with my old RC32RF remote.
The online copy is here: http://www.directv.c...r_guide_new.pdf

Edited by veryoldschool, 30 June 2010 - 12:34 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

More information:

Entering 9-6-0 to enable the TV Input function was documented in the manual that came with a RC64RB remote (maybe 18 months ago).

Entering 9-6-0 to enable the TV Input function is also not mentioned in the manual that came with my H24.

The "on screen" remote programming for my first HR24 did NOT include the information about entering 9-6-0 to enable the TV Input function (I found it here), however, the "on screen" remote programming for my second HR24 did include the 9-6-0 information. Both came from Solid Signal (about 3 weeks apart) and both came with 0x322.

The "on screen" remote programming for my H24 (same order as the second HR24) did include the 9-6-0 information.

Not confused? Try harder!

#19 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Neither one of my HR24s (3) or my H24(2) included any on screen information regarding the TV Input. I don't know what firmware version is in the boxes.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,919 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Not confused? Try harder!

Well if you're not enough yet, you can always go to the DirecTV website and try the interactive remote control instructions. They too don't bother to tell you this.
Use the pdf link [above] to get what you need.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...