Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA Signal Meter

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

Isn't there some sort of meter that helps with aiming OTA antennas (So I don't have to keep running back and forth between the antenna and inside to the Tv)? It should show the real channel number, and ideally the virtual channel number. Also, what's considered acceptable for signal strength (x is too low, y is too much)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Doesn't almost every HDTV have one?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Doesn't almost every HDTV have one?

Yes, but it's a little difficult to drag my 47" Tv outside to the antenna lol Plus that just has a very basic "Bad" "Good" "Best" meter with no numbers or anything.

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

No one home to help? Use phones.

www.antennaweb.org tells where to aim.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

Although aggravating... you also kind of need to get down from the roof to accurately test the signal strength, because you being in close proximity to the antenna will interfere with OTA reception. This interference can result in higher or lower than what the levels will be once you are down from the roof.

Ideally you need some kind of remote way to monitor the signal level at the TV from outside, but still you get down from the roof and check from the ground.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

Could be difficult to get somebody else to tell me what's going on inside (I don't know too many technically inclined people offline). I'm talking the screen saver comes on, and that's it, I gotta come inside. Never mind switching frequencies. A meter outside would be GREAT!!

#7 OFFLINE   pstr8ahead

pstr8ahead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

Just google it. I have an old ntsc/atsc meter that cost me about 20 bucks. I also have a digital rf meter that was in the $600 range. There are a bunch out there.
2 HR24s and an R22 w/DECA networked via DECA BB, slimline SWM5

#8 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Just google it. I have an old ntsc/atsc meter that cost me about 20 bucks. I also have a digital rf meter that was in the $600 range. There are a bunch out there.

I've been googling. The only ones I can seem to find that actually let you input a channel/frequency cost over $150. Probably be cheaper to have a company come and install it lol

#9 OFFLINE   pstr8ahead

pstr8ahead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

You're probably right unless to wind blows it and you have to call them back. You'll probably wish you dropped the 150.
2 HR24s and an R22 w/DECA networked via DECA BB, slimline SWM5

#10 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

I tried the phone aiming with the wife but a few minutes in there was dead air and no response. I scrambled down the tower to find her making tea.

Then I installed a $50 rotor and aimed the antenna while sitting on my couch beer in hand.

#11 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

I tried the phone aiming with the wife but a few minutes in there was dead air and no response. I scrambled down the tower to find her making tea.

Then I installed a $50 rotor and aimed the antenna while sitting on my couch beer in hand.

That might not be a bad idea. Install a cheap rotor, get it aimed, and then just unplug the rotor.

#12 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

I have used my Slingbox and phone, get the signal meter up on my Slingbox then use the phone to view it as I adjust the antenna.

#13 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I call my wife on her cell phone and have her read back the signal readings if I need to make change to the antenna.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#14 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

Best thing is to just get a rota.

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

Best thing is to just get a rota.

Depends on what "best" you are "aiming" for...

IF you need a rotor, because of lots of channels in differing directions... then that will help you somewhat.

But if you don't otherwise need a rotor, you're better off not having one.

It's a "weak" point in the antenna system... because it can (and does) get out of synch such that your indicator inside may or may not be towards where the actual antenna outside is oriented. Also, it allows the antenna to move and mis-align more freely than a solid locked-down rotor-less installation.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#16 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

Depends on what "best" you are "aiming" for...

IF you need a rotor, because of lots of channels in differing directions... then that will help you somewhat.

But if you don't otherwise need a rotor, you're better off not having one.

It's a "weak" point in the antenna system... because it can (and does) get out of synch such that your indicator inside may or may not be towards where the actual antenna outside is oriented. Also, it allows the antenna to move and mis-align more freely than a solid locked-down rotor-less installation.

Yea your right but i don't move mine much only for a couple of channels but were it really shines is for peaking out signals because i can't get on the roof anymore.

And if it gets out of sync i can re sync from the living room.

Also fun DXing in summer when skips come in but have to use tv tuner for that.

I myself am glad i got it.

#17 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Mine doesn't move. We've had 70 mph winds and it stays where it is.

#18 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Mine doesn't move. We've had 70 mph winds and it stays where it is.

The last biggie storm we had they said had wind gusts of up to 90 mph and i had a giant vhf antenna also.i only re synced after the storm for peace of mind also had the vhf antenna removed for the same reason.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

This is a Digi-Air, made by the same folks who make Digi-Sat and Accu-Trak satellite meters. It is specifically designed to help you aim antennas for digital TV. Only problem is the price: about $200.

spam firewall