Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

(2) Directv HR's and Blueray hookup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

Ok I have to HR's hooked up in my main room now, both hdmi output to receiver. My receiver only has 2 hdmi inputs and I have a blueray player on the way. What is the best way to get all this hooked up, plenty of other inputs but just 2 hdmi's..Thanks Michael

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,826 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

I suggest a new receiver if you can afford one. BluRay's TrueHD/DTS/etc audio over HDMI is worth it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

If you don't want to spend a lot for a new receiver, you could get one of these. I got the one for 99.99 (because I needed Toslink switching as well) and its works great. If you do order one, make sure you get some extra cables at the same time.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

Since D* doesn't (and won't) have lossless audio, there's really no reason to use HDMI via your receiver.

I'd hook the D* boxes up to the TV via HDMI and to the a/v receiver via optical. Then run your BD player via HDMI through the receiver (assuming your TV has 3 HDMI's). Not only will this allow you to have lossless audio via your BD player, but you'll also be able to calibrate each source on your display.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:46 PM

Right now everything runs through the receiver then one hdmi lead to tv. Could I hook one HR box up a different way and use the 2 hdmi for one HR and bluray. Not sure what outputs the HR has without pulling it out of the closet. Thanks

Michael

My system:
HR44 Genie
HR23-100
(2) R22-100

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

Right now everything runs through the receiver then one hdmi lead to tv. Could I hook one HR box up a different way and use the 2 hdmi for one HR and bluray. Not sure what outputs the HR has without pulling it out of the closet. Thanks

Yes, if you don't want to use my suggestion above, then run one HR and the BD player via HDMI through the receiver and the other HR via HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver.

The added benefit of running the HR's via HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver is that you can use the TV's audio if the need ever arises.

#7 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

Look no further than here.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

#8 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Since you can only watch one HR anyhow, do not hook one of them up ( or use component and optical in to your receiver, as a backup,,. Use MRV to connect the two HR's together. Then you have 4 tuners on one input.
---------------------------------------------
My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Since you can only watch one HR anyhow

What makes you think that?

Many displays have PIP and two DVR's allows for that capability.

Some people have their DVR's distributed through their homes, but are centrally located on one display.

In either case, and I'm sure many others, you would want both receivers connected at all times.

spam firewall