Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

$15.00 for "Technician Visit" ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ursbis

ursbis

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

We just started with Dish.
I'm confused about their billing. Is it right that they charged us $15.00 for "Technician Visit" ?
The add said free installation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

15$ is the standard rate for those who have the protection plan. You'd need to explain a lil more about why you need a tech visit. If theres something wrong w/ the install and your under 90days, the visit should be free. Any seperate issue would be chargable, or any visit outside of 90 days. The standard rate is $90 without the protection plan.

If this was the initial install, then your right, it should of been FREE. Call an complain.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#3 OFFLINE   slt101

slt101

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

If you were a new customer there should of been no fee. Usually there is a $15 fee for existing customers who have the service plan and have a service call but you shouldn't of been charged being a new install.

#4 OFFLINE   ursbis

ursbis

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

If you were a new customer there should of been no fee. Usually there is a $15 fee for existing customers who have the service plan and have a service call but you shouldn't of been charged being a new install.

We are completely new to Dish Network. They had to install the dish etc.

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

There would have been no fee to install. The $15 is the fee for a tech in the future, if you need repairs and are outside any 60-day (not 90) warranty from a previous Tech Visit.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

The only way you should be charged a $15 tech visit fee is if you had a technician out to fix something after your installation that wasn't covered in the 60 day installation warranty.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#7 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

Call Dish and they should remove the charge.

#8 OFFLINE   dcb

dcb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Would someone explain to me why a subscriber should have to pay $90 for a service call or $6.00/mo plus $15.00 for a service call to repair equipment the subscriber does not own but is supplied by Dish to enable Dish to supply programming that Dish can then bill me for? When did they start doing this?

I have been a Dish subscriber for 10+ years and have never paid for a technician to come out. Now I have what I think is a bad switch or mis-aligned dish I am being charged for the call. I was given the option of signing up for a service contract or paying the $90. My other options are Direct TV, Charter Cable, or ATT U=verse.

dcb

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Dish has charged for techs from the get-go. Some people had the old plan that had free tech visits, but Dish has always charged for techs. if you've never paid one in the past, then you got lucky or had the old DHP plan and dropped it to save $6.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

$15.00 standard rate "with" the protection plan?

#11 OFFLINE   dcb

dcb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Dish has charged for techs from the get-go. Some people had the old plan that had free tech visits, but Dish has always charged for techs. if you've never paid one in the past, then you got lucky or had the old DHP plan and dropped it to save $6.

I quess I have been lucky. Still it makes no sense to me why I should pay to have Dish equipment repaired.

dcb

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

I quess I have been lucky. Still it makes no sense to me why I should pay to have Dish equipment repaired.

dcb

It's simple: service calls cost money. You're going to pay for that service call one way or another. It could be "free" (nothing is free), but then your monthly bill would be automatically higher to pay for it. But the sat companies have learned things over the years:

- The cheaper a service call is, the more people will demand one rather than doing the most basic troubleshooting themselves. Things like: putting the TV on the right channel or input, or plugging the receiver back into the power.

- Satellite systems are more complicated than cable, and much more likely to be exposed (cable run on the outside of the house, etc.), making it more prone to damage, accidental and otherwise.

- Customers do lots of things to cause problems with their dish or cabling, and always want a tech to come out and fix it.

So, Dish gives you a 60 day warranty on your installation, or on any paid service call. After the warranty, if you want a tech visit, you have to pay. If you pay for the Service Plan, the tech visit is only $15. If you don't, then the tech visit is $90.

This is *starting* to reduce the amount of customer-caused service calls, though in my area, around 60% of service calls are still customer-caused. Just today, I had 4 of them:

1. Customer put in new flooring, so he cut all of the old cables and dropped them down into the crawl space. He ended up paying $90 for the tech visit plus $90 in additional time (a paid service call covers a max of 2 hours; beyond that, you pay the tech $60/hour) to do a full reinstall in 4 rooms.

2. Customer reported "loss of sat signal." He didn't report moving the receiver to another room, but that's what happened.

3. Customer had a failed HD-DVR. He didn't mention relocating it into an almost air-tight entertainment center, causing the DVR to reach about 175 degrees.

4. Customer reported no picture on their TV2. They didn't report changing the TV to CH4 so the Nintendo would work, nor did they bother to look at the sticker on the back of the remote that said "CH 60" or bother to press the SAT button, which automatically switched the TV back to CH 60. The system notes stated that the customer refused to troubleshoot and demanded a tech.

So, given that Dish has to deal with so many customers like this, who insist on expensive tech visits, they wisely put a system in place so that the people who need the techs are the ones who pay for them, which lowers the cost for everyone else.

Yes, this means that sometimes customers end up having to pay to service failed equipment, but that's actually pretty rare (and still often customer-caused). But that's how satellite TV is.

#13 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

No "Service Plan" = a $95 Tech visit fee

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,627 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

15$ is the standard rate for those who have the protection plan. You'd need to explain a lil more about why you need a tech visit. If theres something wrong w/ the install and your under 90days, the visit should be free. Any seperate issue would be chargable, or any visit outside of 90 days. The standard rate is $90 without the protection plan.

If this was the initial install, then your right, it should of been FREE. Call an complain.

The standard rate of $15.00 for a service call "with" the protection plan is absurd. I've been a DirecTV customer since 1995 and suscribe to their protection plan. Last week I had my dish relocated and a new LNB installed. The protection plan covered it. No standard rate added. I agree customers should not have to pay the providers to have their equipment repaired but that's the way it is. DISH charging a $15.00 standard rate with their protection plan is nothing more than "nickel and diming" their customers.

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

4. Customer reported no picture on their TV2. ... nor did they bother to ... press the SAT button, which automatically switched the TV back to CH 60. ...

:confused:

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

This has been rehashed quite often. Ever lease a car?:)

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

This has been rehashed quite often. Ever lease a car?:)

I have, and what Dish is doing isn't a lease. More of a month to month rental with a 2 year minimum term at a price that can and does vary at the whim of the owner of the property at any time.

Tell me which other lease you know of that changes the per month cost of the equipment you are leasing? And which other lease goes on forever?

I know of no other 'lease' that has terms quite as liberal to the owner and somewhat draconian to the 'lessor'. It is rent, pure and simple and maintenance should be a part of the deal just as it is in most other rentals.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#18 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

Tell me which other lease you know of that changes the per month cost of the equipment you are leasing? And which other lease goes on forever? ...

Boats, construction equipment, aircraft, autos, Semi tractors.

During the two-year DVR lease term it certainly is comparable to a car lease, not withstanding your denial. Generally at the end of an auto lease you return the vehicle which has a substantial value and years of service-life ahead. A DVR probably has a service life of maybe four years before it becomes antiquated.

Dish certainly could have utilized a different business model wherein they would provide "free" service visits, but at a higher cost. In my case, I'm happy the way it is. I've been a customer for many years and have never paid a dime for a service visit. I guess my costs have been covered by those that complain about paying for service visits.

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

During the two year lease of an auto, the lease terms are fixed both in length and cost. In the case of both Sat providers, that isn't true at all. Or did you forget that you pay more now than just a few months ago for the exact same equipment? If they want to call it a lease, fine. But then make it just like every other lease, for the specified term, you pay the same.

And if it actually was a lease, then you wouldn't pay any equipment cost in the case of owned equipment. Try that on the car lease. Buy the car outright, pay a lease fee 'cause the seller is such a nice guy!! :)

As for those examples of open-ended leases, I'd have to see the contract to believe it. My experience with true leases says fixed term, fixed price.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

I guess everyone understands that Dish Network does not collect "rent" under some leasing agreement. If your own two 722s you pay the same charge that someone who has two Dish-provided 722s. Advantages to owning are limited to such things as being able to open up the box to modify it without incurring some additional cost in the future.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall