Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Spontaneous channel changing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nasadave

nasadave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

I'll begin with the usual advanced apologies if this is a duplicate post. (If so, I couldn't find it)

My H23 receiver is changing channels by itself, in a strange way. While one program is on, say channel 301 (Nick Jr), it will switch to something that might be on HBO or something. If you press info on the remote, it still thinks it is on 301, only no program description or title. If I change channels at this point, it goes black, into la la land for a bit, then will come back to the living and act normally again.

The problem is random, but has happened at night around 9-10 PM CST on channel 301 each time, around 5 times. I have tried a hard reset (unplugged the power, etc), and it has happened again.

When this happens, parental controls do not work, so our 4 yr old had a big education experience the other night with some foul language.

I called Directv, they said they had others call about it, the engineers were working on it. In the meantime, the receiver is now unplugged, and I will be calling until I hear it is fixed.

What a mess! Anyone else here experience this ?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   pstr8ahead

pstr8ahead

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

A little system info would help. Is your system SWM? How many and what types of receivers do you have?
2 HR24s and an R22 w/DECA networked via DECA BB, slimline SWM5

#3 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:53 AM

Do you have the protection plan? If so, definitely call back and have them come out to fix this. It is possible that you have a bad LNB or multiswitch. If you have the protection plan, the visit should be free, so call the plan phone number and be politely insistant that they send someone out.

(I really doubt that this is something that they can "fix" from their end. If this was a broadcast or software problem, we would expect to see more reports like yours.)

If you don't have the protection plan, the visit may cost you. I think that their cost is now $50 for the visit. If anything but the receiver is bad, you would also likely have to pay for that part. (The receivers are leased, but the other wiring out to the dish, as well as the dish, LNB, and any multiswitches are owned by you.)
DogLover

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

This kind of problem can result by the LNB losing which polarity to use. For example, if channel 300 is on an even transponder (18v) and the LNB loses that voltage, it reverts to the odd TP and shows the equivalent channel from that TP. This could be an LNB or multiswitch problem. It could also be the receiver.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   nasadave

nasadave

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in response.

I have a SWM installation. We have 5 receivers, our equipment:

HR22-100
HR22-100
HR20-100
H23-600 <-- The only one having the problem.
D12-700

I do have the protection plan. I called and after a few minutes with the first guy, I was transferred to someone that could do more than read the script. After they heard my story, the went off and 'researched the issue', and came back with a story that several folks had been calling in with this issue on that receiver, most notably on the Disney channels. I'll see if it continues to happen, and call back again if it does.... I'll try to figure out what channel it is changing to, to confirm the polarity/voltage theory.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

Have you tried that receiver on a different line?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the replies, sorry for the delay in response.

I have a SWM installation. We have 5 receivers, our equipment:

HR22-100
HR22-100
HR20-100
H23-600 <-- The only one having the problem.
D12-700

I do have the protection plan. I called and after a few minutes with the first guy, I was transferred to someone that could do more than read the script. After they heard my story, the went off and 'researched the issue', and came back with a story that several folks had been calling in with this issue on that receiver, most notably on the Disney channels. I'll see if it continues to happen, and call back again if it does.... I'll try to figure out what channel it is changing to, to confirm the polarity/voltage theory.

Do a SWiM reset. Pull the plugs on all receivers and the SWiM PI. plug in the SWiM PI and wait a minute or two. Plug in each receiver, but wait until the first reciever is full up and runnuing before going on to the next. Continue with all recievers in sequence. This should get you going again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...