Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2 Accounts - MRV - on same cloud?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

OK, this might sound strange, but here it goes.

I have DirecTV account at a condo - as does my neighbor - and both use the same 5lnb dish on the roof.

Totally legal and 2 different accounts.

We were discussing MRV the other day and wondered if we could share recorded programs off each others units if we got MRV activated - in theory should work since off same dish.

Would allow for more recording space and more flexibility if one of us missed the program etc.

Obviously it would work if we shared an account - but do not want to do that - not the least reason being the legality of it.

Anyone try this or know if it would work in real life and not just theory?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:10 AM

you would see the playlists, but pretty sure you should not be able to play recordings. DirecTV2PC could play from either account.

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:34 AM

Yes, it will work if you are both connected to the same SWiM. Depending on how many receivers you each have and how DirecTV would do the installation, they would either use a SWiM-LNB, SWiM-8, or SWiM-16. With the first and last option, you would be able to see and play each others recordings. If they went with a SWiM-8 and opted to use one for you and one for your neighbor, then in that case you would not be able to share recordings.

What is your current setup (for each of you) from the dish? Do you each have multi-switch that your receivers are connected to?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

It could work and then it might not.
"Normally" there would be a bandstop filter at the point of entry for each Condo, which would block the DECA from sharing between units.
"If" this filter could be place in such a way that the two units could share the DECA signal, "then" it might work if the recording/channel was on each account. If one has say HBO, and the other doesn't, then "the other" couldn't play anything off HBO, that "the one" recorded.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

First question, is this a real multi-unit install, or are you simply sharing a dish that one or the other had installed previously? If it's a true managed multi-unit install, then there should be a filter between the two. If you're just piggybacking his dish, then the DECA clouds will be bridged.

Secondly, there's only really one way to know if it will work, and that is to try it. Of course you'll both have to get the DECA hardware installed, the installers will have to specifically not put a filter when they do the DECA install, and then both accounts will need to get MRV enabled.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

It could work and then it might not.
"Normally" there would be a bandstop filter at the point of entry for each Condo, which would block the DECA from sharing between units.
"If" this filter could be place in such a way that the two units could share the DECA signal, "then" it might work if the recording/channel was on each account. If one has say HBO, and the other doesn't, then "the other" couldn't play anything off HBO, that "the one" recorded.

Are you sure about that? If I had HBO, recorded some stuff, then cancelled HBO, I could still play my recordings, right? Seems like that would carry through to this scenario.

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Are you sure about that? If I had HBO, recorded some stuff, then cancelled HBO, I could still play my recordings, right? Seems like that would carry through to this scenario.

"Well" I recorded a SHO program and when I went to watch it, I got the nasty gram about not being authorized. This had me on the phone, with the normal "WTF"?
They had given me SHO free for 3 months. I'd had it for years, but took the free anything :lol:. So they set me back up with SHOtime. OK great, now I can watch the recording... "nope" it was recorded during a time I wasn't authorized. :( Had to find another airing and record it again.
"I'm fairly sure" each MRV recording looks for authorization before starting playback.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   infounlim

infounlim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

"Well" I recorded a SHO program and when I went to watch it, I got the nasty gram about not being authorized. This had me on the phone, with the normal "WTF"?
They had given me SHO free for 3 months. I'd had it for years, but took the free anything :lol:. So they set me back up with SHOtime. OK great, now I can watch the recording... "nope" it was recorded during a time I wasn't authorized. :( Had to find another airing and record it again.
"I'm fairly sure" each MRV recording looks for authorization before starting playback.

I received a conflicting answer here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ings cancel HBO

It would be great for someone to provide a firm answer on this. :)

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

If the receiver is not authorized to receive a subscription channel then it cannot decode the data stream no matter where it comes from, sat or a remote HDD.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

I received a conflicting answer here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ings cancel HBO

It would be great for someone to provide a firm answer on this. :)

Most of that thread looks to be reasonable [free preview weekend].
I know first hand what I posted here.
Without canceling a movie service and then trying it, I'm not sure you're going to get a "firm answer".
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:27 PM

Most of that thread looks to be reasonable [free preview weekend].
I know first hand what I posted here.
Without canceling a movie service and then trying it, I'm not sure you're going to get a "firm answer".

I can confirm that if you record something while authorized (for example, during a free preview), you can watch it once no longer authorized. I have done it before.

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

I can confirm that if you record something while authorized (for example, during a free preview), you can watch it once no longer authorized. I have done it before.

As I said this seems reasonable as the free preview time may simply not code the program like it would during the paid time.
I'll repeat, I normally have Showtime and have no problems other than after a free three month period, which I hadn't realized had expired until I tried to watch a recording. The CSR added the service back and while on the phone still I tried to play the recording. It still gave me the error, even though I could watch anything off of Showtime after she reactivated it.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

the whole subscription to premium thing is a separate issue. it's possible that the recordings are tagged somehow with account info and they won't play on another account's DVRs. I don't know that DirecTV would have thought it that far out, or that it would have been a big deal. no one is going to have an answer for this except someone who has actually tried it. Certainly no CSR or even second tier tech support at DirecTV is going to know about it. You'd probably have to get a software engineer that actually worked on the MRV stuff to get a real answer on it.

#14 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

First, excuse my stupidity as i have not followed the entire DECA saga. The condo is really no more than a simple duplex - not a building with hundreds of units.

There is a 5lnb dish on the roof that feeds a WB68 - and I have 4 feeds off that and he has the other 4.

I DO have a 5LNB SWM that I purchased 2 years ago to swap out older version 5LNB in the Slimline, but never got around to installing it as I had an older HR10-250 at the time (which obviously would not have worked with a SWM -has since been replaced by a HR21).

Is there a difference in a SWM and a SWiM or that 5LNB SWM work?

Otherwise, could I just buy a 8 or 16 Port SWiM and connect it up to the 4 outputs of the 5LNB SlimLine Dish already on the roof?

As for channels, we both have the same package - so that isn't an issue.

#15 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

SWM=SWiM

You have a couple of options here that you can work with. If you keep the current dish, you could hook up a SWiM-8 off of the 4 cables that come to you from the WB68. That would make your condo SWiM compatible and your neighbor would stay on a legacy system. If you replaced the WB68 with a SWiM-8, then both of you would be set up for SWiM plus if you have any non-SWiM compatible receivers, there are legacy ports on the SWiM-8. If you replace the LNB in the Slimline with the SWiM-LNB that you purchased, both you and your neighbor could only use SWiM compatible receivers.

In regards to needing something more than a SWiM-8, do you or your neighbor anticipate having more that 4 tuners each (2 DVR's per person)? If you do, you might want to consider using a SWiM-16 (16 tuners allowed) or have to SWiM-8's in parallel off of the WB68 multiswitch. Both of these options would give each of you 8 tuners a piece.

- Merg

#16 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

SWM=SWiM

You have a couple of options here that you can work with. If you keep the current dish, you could hook up a SWiM-8 off of the 4 cables that come to you from the WB68. That would make your condo SWiM compatible and your neighbor would stay on a legacy system. If you replaced the WB68 with a SWiM-8, then both of you would be set up for SWiM plus if you have any non-SWiM compatible receivers, there are legacy ports on the SWiM-8. If you replace the LNB in the Slimline with the SWiM-LNB that you purchased, both you and your neighbor could only use SWiM compatible receivers.

In regards to needing something more than a SWiM-8, do you or your neighbor anticipate having more that 4 tuners each (2 DVR's per person)? If you do, you might want to consider using a SWiM-16 (16 tuners allowed) or have to SWiM-8's in parallel off of the WB68 multiswitch. Both of these options would give each of you 8 tuners a piece.

- Merg

If SWM = SWiM, then I could use the 5 LNB SWM for the slimline, correct?

#17 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

Yes.

As stated though, if you do that, you are limited to only 8 tuners and you cannot have any legacy receivers. All of the receivers on both accounts will need to be SWiM compatible (D12, R16, R22, H2x, HR2x).

- Merg

#18 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

The 5LNB SWM (or SWMLine) will not work with legacy equipment or multiswitches of any kind. This means a few things to you and your neighbor:

1) As mentioned, legacy boxes cannot be used
2) You are limited to a max of 8 tuners (not expandable)
3) You are essentially taking this install upon yourself, and your neighbor is likely to blame you for any issues in the future

When you share a dish with someone there are many things to think about, and many potential problems that can arise...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#19 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Yes, I understand all the legacy issues.

So, just for my information, why has the references to SWM been changed to SWiM if nothing changed?

#20 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

Yes, I understand all the legacy issues.

So, just for my information, why has the references to SWM been changed to SWiM if nothing changed?

Nothing changed. Just some people use SWM and some use SWiM. I suppose the latter is used since if you sound out the abbreviation, you are supposed to say it like the word "swim".

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...