Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adventures in Getting A Replacement HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lman12

lman12

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

I recently had to try (I'll write more about the trying part in this post) to replace a bad HR20-700 receiver (one bad ATSC and one bad OTA tuner). I have two HR20-700; one works great and the other need replacing. I live in central NJ and have an excellent OTA antenna and use it to pull in the NYC and Phylly OTA digital channels. I initially called Directv on June 3rd when I noticed the receiver getting the "searching for" message for the Directv and OTA channels. After having me do some diagnostics , the Directv CSR decided to send a technician out to check the dish and wiring just to ensure there wasn't a problem on that end even though I told him I was sure the problem was with the HR20-700 - a refurbished unit I received from Directv in 2006 whose performance steadily declined since I received it. The tech came out to the house on June 7th, replaced the Dish, LNBs and wiring and re peaked the dish. The problem still persisted with the receiver. My other receiver, also a HR20-700 continued to work flawlessly. I called Directv on June 9th and the issue was escalated to the "Case Management" team. They sent out a different tech on the 15th (I don't know why) - he checked everything and verified that the issue was in the receiver. I asked him to replace my bad receiver with one of the receivers he had in the truck. He called his supervisor and the supervisor said NO and would not allow the tech to swap out the receiver. He was concerned that if my bad receiver was deemed ok once it was returned and examined by Directv they would be charged the price of the receiver.

I called Directv again on the 16th and was assigned a PIN and spoke to case management and they said they could send out a new receiver. The person said since the OTA & ATSC tuners were failing he would send out an AM21 and at least a HR21 HD DVR. He said they had the ability to work directly with logistics to order a specific receiver model. I checked the orders status on the 23th and was told the AM21 had been ordered but was on back order and I would be receiving it around July 1st. They said I would be getting a HR21 and would receive it around the same time. Guess what - the FEDEX guy dropped off a refurbished HR20-700 receiver at my home today (June 30th) despite what case management said in all my earlier conversations with them. I called Directv/case management, used my PIN to speak to the appropriate person and was told someone screwed up my order. The supervisor said I would be receiving the HR21 & AM21 and to return, unopened the HR20-700 I received today.

I hope I receive the right equipment soon. I have been a Directv customer since March 1996 (my account number start in the 500 series) and usually recieve, prompt, professional service. I will update this post when I finally receive the right equipment.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

I recently had to try (I'll write more about the trying part in this post) to replace a bad HR20-700 receiver (one bad ATSC and one bad OTA tuner). I have two HR20-700; one works great and the other need replacing. I live in central NJ and have an excellent OTA antenna and use it to pull in the NYC and Phylly OTA digital channels. I initially called Directv on June 3rd when I noticed the receiver getting the "searching for" message for the Directv and OTA channels. After having me do some diagnostics , the Directv CSR decided to send a technician out to check the dish and wiring just to ensure there wasn't a problem on that end even though I told him I was sure the problem was with the HR20-700 - a refurbished unit I received from Directv in 2006 whose performance steadily declined since I received it. The tech came out to the house on June 7th, replaced the Dish, LNBs and wiring and re peaked the dish. The problem still persisted with the receiver. My other receiver, also a HR20-700 continued to work flawlessly. I called Directv on June 9th and the issue was escalated to the "Case Management" team. They sent out a different tech on the 15th (I don't know why) - he checked everything and verified that the issue was in the receiver. I asked him to replace my bad receiver with one of the receivers he had in the truck. He called his supervisor and the supervisor said NO and would not allow the tech to swap out the receiver. He was concerned that if my bad receiver was deemed ok once it was returned and examined by Directv they would be charged the price of the receiver.

I called Directv again on the 16th and was assigned a PIN and spoke to case management and they said they could send out a new receiver. The person said since the OTA & ATSC tuners were failing he would send out an AM21 and at least a HR21 HD DVR. He said they had the ability to work directly with logistics to order a specific receiver model. I checked the orders status on the 23th and was told the AM21 had been ordered but was on back order and I would be receiving it around July 1st. They said I would be getting a HR21 and would receive it around the same time. Guess what - the FEDEX guy dropped off a refurbished HR20-700 receiver at my home today (June 30th) despite what case management said in all my earlier conversations with them. I called Directv/case management, used my PIN to speak to the appropriate person and was told someone screwed up my order. The supervisor said I would be receiving the HR21 & AM21 and to return, unopened the HR20-700 I received today.

I hope I receive the right equipment soon. I have been a Directv customer since March 1996 (my account number start in the 500 series) and usually recieve, prompt, professional service. I will update this post when I finally receive the right equipment.

Honestly, I'd keep the HR20-700. Excluding the HR24, it's the fastest HR2x out there.

You might be lucky and you may have gotten my 20-700 I sent back about a month ago. Not an issue with it since I originally activated it in 2006. Only sent it back since I needed to downsize my receiver count. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

replace a bad HR20-700 receiver (one bad ATSC and one bad OTA tuner).

Isn't OTA and ATSC the same thing on the HR20's? Like Robert, I returned an HR20-700 that never had any problems about a month ago. From what I've read, the HR20-700 is faster/more reliable than the HR21.

:)

#4 OFFLINE   eibook

eibook

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

From what I've read, the HR20-700 is faster/more reliable than the HR21.

That is correct...I sent back a dead HR20-100 and got back a refurbished HR21-200 and all I can say is I wish my HR20 still worked! The HR21 is a nice looking box, being black it fits into my entertainment center better, but it is as slow as molasses in January.

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

+1

Should have kept the HR20-700

#6 OFFLINE   lman12

lman12

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I still have one good HR20-700 which I will probably use as my primary receiver. The HR20-700 that I returned had a bad ATSC tuner and at least one bad Sat tuner (Sat 1) and just wasn't reliable any more. I am hoping the AM21 will pull in and lock onto some OTA digital channels I couldn't get with either HR20-700's ATSC tuner. Matter of fact my old Sony Plasma tv's 2nd generation ATSC tuner consistently pull in more OTA channels than either HR20-700.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Makes sense. AM21 is indeed better than the HR20 for OTA, but still not as good as my TV's tuner. Hope it's good enough to get the additional channels you need. Best of luck.

#8 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Yes I would agree, keep the HR20-700 they sent you. The HR20 and the HR24's are the only ones I would accept. HR21,22,23 are slooooooooooooooow:nono2:
(2)HR34-700:D
Swim16 All networked via DECA
Samsung PN64D8000
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Directv since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,844 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Yes I would agree, keep the HR20-700 they sent you. The HR20 and the HR24's are the only ones I would accept. HR21,22,23 are slooooooooooooooow:nono2:

That sums up my experience.

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,219 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

My HR21-100, installed a couple weeks ago, responds much faster than my 3 1/2 year-old HR20-700, at least so far. Looks nicer, too, with softer blue lights.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   lman12

lman12

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

OP here with a 7/1/10 update:

Directv sent and I received the AM21 module this morning. Fedex delivered another box this afternoon. I thought great finally everything is cleared up - EXCEPT when I looked at the receiver package it said a "H21-200C-R"! The key here is they sent a HD receiver NOT a HD DVR. I called the case management group, entered my PIN and spoke to a rep who said "I don't know how this happened; you have had HD DVRs on your account since they were available and you should have received a HR21 or higher HD DVR." He said they would fix this issue immediately. We'll see. A Tech is scheduled to come to my place on Friday and bring a HR21 or higher HD DVR. In the interim I have received the following equipment from Directv: One (1) refurbished HR20-700 (to be given to the Tech on Friday); One (1) H21-200C-R (to be returned by me to Directv) and One (1) AM21 (I keep this to be paired with my eventual HR2XX HD DVR).

Directv will be sending a tech out on Friday (7/2) with a HR 21 or higher HD DVR. I'll see how this goes:nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

OP here with a 7/1/10 update:

Directv sent and I received the AM21 module this morning. Fedex delivered another box this afternoon. I thought great finally everything is cleared up - EXCEPT when I looked at the receiver package it said a "H21-200C-R"! The key here is they sent a HD receiver NOT a HD DVR. I called the case management group, entered my PIN and spoke to a rep who said "I don't know how this happened; you have had HD DVRs on your account since they were available and you should have received a HR21 or higher HD DVR." He said they would fix this issue immediately. We'll see. A Tech is scheduled to come to my place on Friday and bring a HR21 or higher HD DVR. In the interim I have received the following equipment from Directv: One (1) refurbished HR20-700 (to be given to the Tech on Friday); One (1) H21-200C-R (to be returned by me to Directv) and One (1) AM21 (I keep this to be paired with my eventual HR2XX HD DVR).

Directv will be sending a tech out on Friday (7/2) with a HR 21 or higher HD DVR. I'll see how this goes:nono2:

Don't be surprised if the tech refuses to take the unwanted HR20-700 back with him. DirecTv expects that box to be returned through a certain channel, and that channel is not via the tech.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#13 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

That sums up my experience.

Mine as well.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD