Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DBSTalk app for iPhone and iPad released!

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

The software (forum runner) is also a stand alone application which I purchased before these forums had their own dedicated app.

When you say "purchase", you have accidently stumbled on your answer. Each site that uses this software has paid for the right of the users to download it for free. That is why you see each site with it's own version. We could have easily left it up to the user to purchase the software but we didn't want to do that. There are also tweeks in front and behind the scenes to give the user the best experience possible.

So you see, the software may be used on several other sites, but the modifications and no cost aspects are unique for DBSTalk users.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Nice! Can't wait to try it on my iPhone I use as a touch :D

Any plans for a BlackBerry version? :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#23 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Sorry for the delay in development guys. We've had this in the works for a loooooong time but wanted to fine tune a few things before release. A big thanks goes to Stuart for doing the new graphics.

So whats next in store? Ya'll gonna give any of the other crowds some love, Windows Mobile/Android/Blackberry etc?

#24 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Nice! Can't wait to try it on my iPhone I use as a touch :D

Any plans for a BlackBerry version? :D

People still use BlackBerrys? Aren't they like "Betamax" of smart phones these days?
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

Looks great on my iPad - easy to read and use.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

People still use BlackBerrys? Aren't they like "Betamax" of smart phones these days?

Not a chance. Blackberry is still King in outlook synchronization, as well as the other main email platforms. Not much comes close to the possibilities on the management side either without a third party server.

#27 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Working great on the Ipad. Is there an easy way to just see the new posts for the entire site, or have I just not found it yet?

#28 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,056 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Stuart don't get me wrong it's nice. But what I am seeing now is a few of the sites I go to all have their own apps and it appears that all of them are using the same application, but each with its own splash screen.
Would it be possible for your sites to be listed in the main forum runner listings so we don't need 40 different copies of the same program and instead can only use one program, the real forum runner app.

Thanks.

DavidMi...

Seeing we do not have say what happens in the Forum Runner app itself, we can not allow for DBSTalk to be part of the app just in case.

A little history... when we tested Forum Runner as well as other apps, it could bring the site down as it was looking to deal with stock versions of VB. (the sites software platform.) This was not shocking to me actually (been their, done that). You see, we needed to modify the stock VB code to make it work as would like. As such, any plugins do not always work and actually can make for major issues. (Not just the Forum Runner plug in needed, but any general plugin we need to be careful with.)

So we worked with Forum Runner to make the app for us as we liked their platform. It took almost 1.5 months in coding and testing to make the app work as needed adding features it did not yet even have but knew we needed. Rob is just great to deal with.

In regards to it being found in the Forum Runner App, that was a mistake and it has now been removed based on the above.

Regards,

#29 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

Not a chance. Blackberry is still King in outlook synchronization, as well as the other main email platforms. Not much comes close to the possibilities on the management side either without a third party server.

Looking at my next phone over the last 12 months, I looked at Blackberry, Apple, Android and others. What actually drove me to the iPhone was the multitude of reports that Gmail and Outlook mail/calendar/contact sync "just work." And you know what, that's pretty true. I'm having some residual issues with contact photo syncing over multiple phones but really, that's it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Looking at my next phone over the last 12 months, I looked at Blackberry, Apple, Android and others. What actually drove me to the iPhone was the multitude of reports that Gmail and Outlook mail/calendar/contact sync "just work." And you know what, that's pretty true. I'm having some residual issues with contact photo syncing over multiple phones but really, that's it.

Not wanting to drive it away from the main subject, but I'm primarily referring to Blackberry connecting to Exchange Outlook and a BES. The stock iPhone software can't really come close to it. As a primarily consumer device, the iPhone is great.

I also never thought I'd see DBSTalk get a NC17 rating. Only Apple :)

Edited by dpeters11, 01 July 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

Wow thats great will try it out

#32 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

This really cool... Just downloaded... Only thing it seems to be missing is a way to view the headlines. Unless I'm missing it somewhere.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

The headlines come from a separate plugin. I don't think you can get them through the app.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#34 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

This really cool... Just downloaded... Only thing it seems to be missing is a way to view the headlines. Unless I'm missing it somewhere.

The headlines are in the "News" forum under "Special Interest".

#35 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

You guys are fast. I just went into the forum runner software and again searched for dbstalk and now you are listed. Thanks for the quick turnaround guys!

(Just avsforum is not listed.. hopefully they are soon!)

I've been using Forum Runner for almost a month with DBSTalk... it's been out there.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#36 OFFLINE   cheesedjdj

cheesedjdj

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Very nice guys I'm even posting with it right now!
3 D10-300s (Owned, 1 not in use)
2 HR22-100s (Leased)
1 H24-700
1 Directivo SIR-S4080R (Owned, Currently not in use)
Slimline 3 Dish
WB68
Directv since May 2005
Detailed Setup

#37 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

The 4.3" screen on my (Android) EVO is looking for some nice software for this forum!

#38 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Cool, I just have one question.

"End of Time Software" ?

#39 OFFLINE   Frank5575

Frank5575

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Android Please!!!

#40 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

The one thing missing that forum runner has is the ability to mark favorite threads. Every time I log in with the app, I'm taken to the main menu and have to navigate to the main forums I use

It is nice to have a screen with an icon for the forum and sub forums that I visit regularly. I don't need the Dish forums to show up when I log in since o don't have Dish, nor do I ever participate in those forums.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

spam firewall