Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H24/MRV Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mmoore99

mmoore99

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

A DirecTV installer came out yesterday to convert my MRV to DECA. The MRV setup was previously working correctly using my in-home wired network. My setup consists of one HR20-100, one HR20-700 and two HR24's. When the installer left last night everything appeared to be working correctly. However, upon further review I noticed that the tech had left the ethernet cables from my home network plugged into the HR-24's, which obviously was not correct since the whole purpose of the DECA network is to eliminate the need for an in-home ethernet network.

I powered down all four DVR's, removed the ethernet cables from the HR-24's and restarted all of the DVR's. The HR-24's do not recognize the DECA network when the in-home network ethernet cables are removed. If I re-insert the in-home ethernet cables and reset the HR-24's they once again begin to work with MRV.

The two HR-20's work correctly with MRV (with each other) and successfully connect to the internet regardless of how the HR-24's are setup.

The SWM part of the installation seems to be OK as all of the tuners work on all of the DVR's.

My current setup is as follows:

1. Sat Dish -> SWM16 (see attached photo) -> 8-Way SWM splitter (see attached photo). No DECA filter.
2. Power inserter installed downstream from the splitter on one the coax line going to the HR20-700.
3. Seperate coax (see yellow cable coming out of splitter in photo below) going to DECA unit which goes to router for in-home network. Seperate power inserter plugged into this DECA.
4. Ethernet cables from DECA's plug into the ethernet ports on the HR20's.
5. Nothing plugged into ethernet port on HR-24's.

Please let me know if any more information is needed.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• SWM16.JPG
  • Splitter.JPG

Edited by mmoore99, 01 July 2010 - 11:50 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

Try rerunning satellite setup on the 24s.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:00 PM

Can y'all provide feedback up the chain that there is absolutely no excuse at this point for all these installation FUBARs? :soapbox:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#4 OFFLINE   mmoore99

mmoore99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

Try rerunning satellite setup on the 24s.

Thanks a lot!! Rerunning the satellite setup on the HR-24's resolved the problem. I should have thought to do that.

Thank goodness for the great people at DBSTALK.

The DirecTV installation people were absolutely worthless on getting this MRV DECA system setup. The tech showed up on Monday and had the DECA's but no SWM switch. He rescheduled for Tuesday and called Tuesday afternoon to cancel and re-schedule for Wednesday. He showed up on Wednesday (late) and then I found out that he had never done a MRV install before. I printed out the diagrams from DBSTALK and it then took him FOUR hours to supposedly have everything working, only to find out this morning that everything wasn't working (see first post in this thread). I spoke to four more DirecTV people today who had no clue as to how to resolve the problem. One DirecTV person asked me if the dish had been grounded?

#5 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hello mmoore99,

A quick look at the pictures swm16 connectors and cables look good but the splitter has a lot of bending of the cables and stress at the connectors (crimp on I believe) will cause problems as time goes by. Connectors and cables will work best if it goes straight onto another device such as a splitter, swm, receiver etc.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...