Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.29 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   kstuart

kstuart

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:27 PM

Seriously? Just because has only one post you assume that they are clueless? Please! :rolleyes:

I did not say that.

I was simply saying that we should not accept a report that was highly undocumented, contrary to a regular member's report, and from someone with one post.

PS Sometimes people with one post have registered only to make that one post, and then register again to make another post, etc. - which they do because of grudges, or other similar reasons.
Still using Dish 500 production unit #000001 (pictured prior to upgrade to DPPlusTwin)
Olevia 542i fed by ViP622 and 522

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

Wireless is on the Broadband menus, but grayed out
Anyone have any info on that?

I don't have any info, just speculation, but I wonder if that's not just support for something that'll be on another model, and grayed out on models that don't have it. It's not like they can download wifi hardware into a 622. (It could be support for external wifi dongles, but that seems very unlikely as those aren't nearly standardized enough -- though it could be support for a particular one they'll resell.)

#43 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

I don't have any info, just speculation, but I wonder if that's not just support for something that'll be on another model, and grayed out on models that don't have it. It's not like they can download wifi hardware into a 622. (It could be support for external wifi dongles, but that seems very unlikely as those aren't nearly standardized enough -- though it could be support for a particular one they'll resell.)

Same here..."Wireless" connotes several possibilities.. but sooner or later these receivers can be used with the new Dish sling adapters, which, of course, will be available "soon"...:lol:

The last Chat mentioned software updates for making older receivers compatible with the new sling adapters...I believe that this will support "HDTV anywhere" if you connect the "slinger" to a 622 or 722 and the "sling receiver" to another TV that is not connected to a Dish receiver...

Just speculation....and still waiting for the update that will provide the "audio leveling" capability that was supposed to be available "soon"...:hurah:
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#44 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

They don't have to be standard. Dish could just specify which adapter (s) works. Loading drivers for a specifc adapter would be easy, I would think.

#45 OFFLINE   speedboat

speedboat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

They don't have to be standard. Dish could just specify which adapter (s) works. Loading drivers for a specifc adapter would be easy, I would think.

Probably the same adapter that some sling box uses...and Dish will double the price on.

#46 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Both my 722s got the new L6.29 software and it HAS NOT fixed the black screen problem. In fact the one that didn't have the problem now has it and the one that had it still has it. Hard rebooted both and no change!

#47 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

After more than a week with L629, I still don't notice any ill effects. :cool:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#48 OFFLINE   old_geek

old_geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Not sure when L629 arrived, however turned mt 722 on this evening to find the notice that my hard drive was corrupted and would need to be erased. Tried a soft reboot in hopes that might cure it....didn't...wiped out EVERYTHING I had on the drive...plus all my timers. Not sure of this is L629 related or not....but was enough to to get me to take a rare poke around on here to see if there was a new software rollout...and wadda ya know....there is. :mad:

I share your pain. I used my EHD with my 722 yesterday with no problem. Today I noticed that My Media did not show up in My Recordings list, so I tried Menu 4 and was informed that my EHD was not compatible and needed to be formatted. So, I did a soft boot, then a hard boot, tried power cycling my EHD, tried unplugging and replugging USB cable. End result: Plugging in USB cable now brings message that complains about an unsupported device being connected and Menu 4 just says "No Device Attached". It looks like I no longer even have the option to format the drive. Over 700 GB of movies gone...all gone!!!:crying_sa So, I checked my F/W version and saw L629 and then logged on here to look for company in my misery...
Philippians 4:13

#49 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

I was looking forward to L629, hoping that it would have some new fixes to very old problems, but alas no.

Then the other night I was watching my 722 and the rental screen for Percy Jackson popped up. Off the top I was amused. Then when I tried to get rid of it, it wouldn't go away. I would press the up or down arrow and the screen would pop back up. I was about to do a soft reset and it did it on its own, but took forever to come back up and on its way got caught in a "acquiring signal"/getting guide info loop. So after about 45 minutes of all kinds of craziness I did a soft reset, ready to do a hard reset if that didn't work, which it did. Then after that none of the timers that should have gone off did. And a couple that were missed I tried to reschedule and it wouldn't let me. Also a while later I was going about my business and was using the box as I have since day one and it was acting as if it were a single tuner box. If one tuner was recording it would give me the stop recording message if I tried to change channels. It also did it with the OTA tuner and would alternate between OTA and Sat tuner recording cancellation messages. I tried swapping the picture and it still did it. I waited until the recording was over and pulled the plug. This time it came back up really fast and since I haven't had that problem. A lot of audio and video skipping, burping and whatnot, but no major craziness.

I can't wait for L630 or whatever. Never a dull moment. Many missed recordings or ones with "missing data" in them though.

Edited by FarmerBob, 06 August 2010 - 11:16 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   Tony S

Tony S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

old_geek, sometimes, all that is wrong is that your household key has been reset. If you call dish and ask them to send a re-hit for your EHD it might fix your problem. I have read many posts where this has occurred and once the household key has been reset, you can access your recordings (the recordings on the EHD are still there). It is worth a try to contact dish and try this.

#51 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Does L629 compress recordings even more? My HD recordings seem to be taking up less room than ever on my 622. For example, three 1 hour Syfy shows took a total of 56min of my time remaining. That's only 18.6min per show.
Other shows I watched and then deleted:
Covert Affairs (1:07HD) added 22min back to my time remaining after deletion.
Burn Notice (1:07HD) also added 22min back.

#52 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

Compression is done on the upload end, not in the receiver.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#53 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,174 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

If you leave the play list and come back, you'll likely find that there's a lot more space restored.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,966 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Does L629 compress recordings even more? My HD recordings seem to be taking up less room than ever on my 622. For example, three 1 hour Syfy shows took a total of 56min of my time remaining. That's only 18.6min per show.
Other shows I watched and then deleted:
Covert Affairs (1:07HD) added 22min back to my time remaining after deletion.
Burn Notice (1:07HD) also added 22min back.

You could easily measure size of any recording if you'll try to send it to EHD,

#55 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

It may be a coincidence, but from around the time L629 was released (I don't check specifically for new updates, so I don't know when I received it), recordings on my 722 have been freezing, slowly going through the picture, no sound, picture jerking forward, or just staying frozen. Sometimes it will straighten out enough to view a program, but often I just have to delete the program.

What makes me wonder if it's a hard drive problem is that when this first started on new recordings, I had programs already recorded that all played normally. Watching live there are no problems--no freezing or stutters. However, if I skip back to catch something, it freezes for at least 10 seconds, then may catch up or stay frozen. The only sure way to see anything is live.

Anyone else seeing problems similar to mine? Did they start around the time of receiving L629? Is it almost positively the hard drive failing?

Thanks for any discussion!!

#56 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Not sure if it's related to 6.29 but yesterday morning and tonight I've had black screen with audio. I can pull up the guide and everything but no picture.

I noticed the other posts say this happened during a recording but I wasn't recording anything either time.

To add I have to do a soft reset to get picture back, it won't come back on it's own.

#57 OFFLINE   rigormortis

rigormortis

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:23 AM

for the last week or so maybe more i have been having problems with black screen with sound but only on HIDEF channels, random HD channels but not all of them. does not seem to be affected by recording or not. pressing guide or recall does not bring the channel back. one of the hd channels that always seems to go black is TRUTV HD.

have to hard reset the receiver to get the HD channels back

using dual tuner mode for 2 tvs so i dont know if i can fix it with the pip and swap buttons

in the last week i have had to hard reset the vip622 about every other day

#58 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:51 AM

for the last week or so maybe more i have been having problems with black screen with sound but only on HIDEF channels, random HD channels but not all of them. does not seem to be affected by recording or not. pressing guide or recall does not bring the channel back. one of the hd channels that always seems to go black is TRUTV HD.

have to hard reset the receiver to get the HD channels back

using dual tuner mode for 2 tvs so i dont know if i can fix it with the pip and swap buttons

in the last week i have had to hard reset the vip622 about every other day

I don't think this problem is related to the problem described previously about turning the unit on while a recording is in progress...with this problem there was no video or sound...and this is the problem that could be fixed using the PIP controls.

I run in single mode and have seen the new "Black screen with sound" problem only once since L6.29 was downloaded...all I did was a power-cycle reboot and this has not happened again.

I guess time will tell if this is a new problem introduced with L6.29, but IMHO it is not related to the pre-L6.29 problem...that problem was fixed with L6.29, at least I've not seen it since this f/w was installed on my 622, and it was a daily occurrence with the pre-L6.29 f/w.
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#59 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

I don't think this problem is related to the problem described previously about turning the unit on while a recording is in progress...with this problem there was no video or sound...and this is the problem that could be fixed using the PIP controls.

I run in single mode and have seen the new "Black screen with sound" problem only once since L6.29 was downloaded...all I did was a power-cycle reboot and this has not happened again.

I guess time will tell if this is a new problem introduced with L6.29, but IMHO it is not related to the pre-L6.29 problem...that problem was fixed with L6.29, at least I've not seen it since this f/w was installed on my 622, and it was a daily occurrence with the pre-L6.29 f/w.

+1

#60 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

I don't think the problem is related to the start-up problem either, but last night I realized that my 722 freezes/pauses recordings mainly when the recordings are in HD. It had little problem with two SD shows. Wouldn't that mean that it's not or not solely the hard drive failing? I'm not able to run a diagnostic on the hard drive nor am I getting error messages. Anything else that could be causing this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...