Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP622/ViP722 - L6.29 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

You could post snapshot of HDD chapter from Counters Diags screen to discuss your DVR drive status.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks, PSmith, but I resolved the problems this evening. I went through all the diagnostics and the counters again seeing nothing, and though I'd done two cold boots since the update, I did another one. Voila, problem resolved.

I'm relieved I don't have to get a replacement (just for the hassle involved), though I had archived everything that was playing well. This was the most trouble I've ever had with an E* receiver, and setting back-up recordings on my 622 (ordered the day they became available) made it bearable. :D

Thanks to those of you who tried to help!!

#63 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:12 AM

I've had this on and off for the last couple of software revs. For me usually powering the TV off and back on fixes the issue.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#64 OFFLINE   lpmiller

lpmiller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:42 AM

for the last week or so maybe more i have been having problems with black screen with sound but only on HIDEF channels, random HD channels but not all of them. does not seem to be affected by recording or not. pressing guide or recall does not bring the channel back. one of the hd channels that always seems to go black is TRUTV HD.

have to hard reset the receiver to get the HD channels back

using dual tuner mode for 2 tvs so i dont know if i can fix it with the pip and swap buttons

in the last week i have had to hard reset the vip622 about every other day

I had this happen on Friday and Yesterday. Nothing was recording at the time. Hard reset fixed it for a while on Friday, then it happened again on Sunday night. What was weird, is that I was watching an HD channel, changed to another HD channel and got blank screen with sound. Glad to know it's not just me.

#65 OFFLINE   cs550ds

cs550ds

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

Not sure if it's related to 6.29 but yesterday morning and tonight I've had black screen with audio. I can pull up the guide and everything but no picture.

I noticed the other posts say this happened during a recording but I wasn't recording anything either time.

To add I have to do a soft reset to get picture back, it won't come back on it's own.

I have been having the same problem. Not on recordings. It has been happening on live tv and only on HD.

#66 OFFLINE   cloudy

cloudy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

I've had similar issues with Black screen with audio. If I get it on a line broadcast, and then go to watch something on the DVR instead, I get the same thing on the DVR. But it seems like it only when trying to watch something recorded from a station on the 129 satellite.
Also I've got Major issues with my 129 signal strength since the update. It fluctuates all over the place. from 5 signal strength to 30. All in just seconds.
My PIP does not work how it used to.
This is one bug that I truly believe will send me to D*. I'm just sick of all the headaches.

#67 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

This problem, described in the earlier posts above, are occurring more frequently now on my 622...like 2 or 3 times a week.

I have not discovered a recovery sequence that works, other than a power plug or front panel reboot.

I think this can be classified as a verified problem introduced by L6.29.
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#68 OFFLINE   rigormortis

rigormortis

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

its still doing it about once a week. today i was watching msnbc hd, the name of the show was "lockup"
i rewound and recorded the buffer to the disk.

later my mom wanted to watch the show.

we went to tv2 and tried to play the recording.

all i got was a blank screen

another program i recorded earlier played okay but that particular program didn't play. after i hard rebooted the unit, the recording played fine

im also seeing weird acquiring signal screens during power up

like 129 stuck on 3 of 5

and then i saw another one that was like either 119 or 129 but it said stuck on spotbeam 0, yes spotbeam zero. going to the menu and then pressing cancel and the acquiring signal screen disappeared and it started to operate normally.

#69 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

I got the black screen on my 622 last night. It was after I had clicked on several channels which were fine and then watched a recorded show (on 622). After I deleted the watched show went back to the guide and no matter what channel I clicked on - black screen and no sound. This was on my bedroom tv very late so I didn't reboot but just turned it off.
This morning everything was fine on my living room tv.

#70 OFFLINE   LG811User

LG811User

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I got the black screen on my 622 last night. It was after I had clicked on several channels which were fine and then watched a recorded show (on 622). After I deleted the watched show went back to the guide and no matter what channel I clicked on - black screen and no sound. This was on my bedroom tv very late so I didn't reboot but just turned it off.
This morning everything was fine on my living room tv.

I got it too this weekend - more than once. This is definitely a new bug. Didn't happen in prior software releases

#71 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Got a replacement 622 two weeks ago. I have noticed that it has trouble playing movies from my external HD without pausing every few seconds. Is there something I need to do to get these two units better aquainted?

Also sometimes when I try to FF skip through commercials on recorded shows the unit will suddenly jump to live tv! I can get the recording to "resume" with the menues but it is annoying.

Also is there somewhere on the forum a listing of all the various messages in the diagnostic menus (like "drift" and what they mean?
Thanks

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

Using Search will give you the threads/posts.

#73 OFFLINE   Rick_R

Rick_R

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:31 AM

I also have recently had two of the problems described above.

1) When recording OTA programs often whenever I try to switch to a satellite channel it tells me that that will stop my OTA recording. Until the recording finishes I can only watch it or watch a previously recorded show. This has happened on the last 3 OTA recordings.

2) Occasionally a recording will freeze and the rest of the show is gone. If you fast forward the time counter will increment but you only get the frozen picture or black screen.

I hope they fix these soon.

Rick R

#74 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,752 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

The glitches could be left as NTF (no trouble found) category if they will not REPRODUCE it.

#75 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

1) When recording OTA programs often whenever I try to switch to a satellite channel it tells me that that will stop my OTA recording. Until the recording finishes I can only watch it or watch a previously recorded show. This has happened on the last 3 OTA recordings.
Rick R

I can always switch to a satellite channel on my 622 as long as one of the sat tuners is free. Bring up the guide and select the sat channel. If both sat tuners are in use at the same time as an OTA the air recording is taking place then you can't switch channels. You can use the DVR button to go to a prerecorded show and watch that.

#76 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

2) Occasionally a recording will freeze and the rest of the show is gone. If you fast forward the time counter will increment but you only get the frozen picture or black screen.

I hope they fix these soon.

Rick R

Yup. Had #1 a lot, but lately it has subsided. #2, I have never lost a whole recording once I go in and "play" with it. Which means backing out of the recording, go back to it and then it plays like nothing ever happened. I do get the missing portions pop up, especially on clear days/nights where you have no interference. That makes no sense.

#77 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:12 PM

He should be able to switch to a satellite channel without interrupting an OTA recording. Even if both the satellite tuners are in use, that error message should not occur. I may be missing something, though.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#78 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

He should be able to switch to a satellite channel without interrupting an OTA recording. Even if both the satellite tuners are in use, that error message should not occur.

One would think you could. I have had this happen often and there is nothing you can do. Once the DVR makes up its mind, you are at its mercy and have to do only what it will allow you to do, or wait.

#79 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

You're right about that.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#80 OFFLINE   Rick_R

Rick_R

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

I can always switch to a satellite channel on my 622 as long as one of the sat tuners is free. Bring up the guide and select the sat channel. If both sat tuners are in use at the same time as an OTA the air recording is taking place then you can't switch channels. You can use the DVR button to go to a prerecorded show and watch that.

I selected the guide and it brought up the guide. When I selected a satellite channel it told me it would stop the recording! There were no satellite tuners in use. I have a 622 BTW.

spam firewall