Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Transponder Map: New Data 6/30/2010

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

The attachments to this post cover all U.S. DIRECTV Channels and Transponders, CONUS (Continental U.S. or National beams) and LIL (Local Into Local or Spot beams). OTA (Over The Air) data is not provided in this specific data capture.

Directv-Latin America provides satellite coverage for the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America and South America; Directv-LA data is separate and not included here.

A single Excel document provides all the CONUS and LIL data for DIRECTV Satellites at the 72.5W, 95W, 99W, 101W, 103W, 110W and 119W positions.

Three supplemental documents are also provided:

• A Network-Market-DMA Networklist cross-reference sheet. This information is particularly useful in understanding the LIL data.

• A Network Decoder map showing the satellites and transponders graphically as they appear on your receiver's signal strength display.

• A Channel Distribution Chart showing the number of CONUS and LIL channels provided by each satellite.
All documents are fully unprotected so you may copy and use the data as you wish.

Edited by gct, 02 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.
corrected NetworkList entry for Erie, PA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

- 15 to 20 new DNS locals that were expected
- 3 or 4 new single LIL channels in a few markets
- New Cinema HD as reported earlier

And as always --- Thanks to doctor j !!

#3 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

I note that the LIL's for Southern California and other areas are still listed as being transmitted from D10 rather than D12. Weren't the filings indicating that the LIL's would be transferred to D12? Does D* have to file that there has been a change and LIL's will stay with D10, or do we expect them to finally transfer the LIL's to D12?

#4 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

I note that the LIL's for Southern California and other areas are still listed as being transmitted from D10 rather than D12. Weren't the filings indicating that the LIL's would be transferred to D12? Does D* have to file that there has been a change and LIL's will stay with D10, or do we expect them to finally transfer the LIL's to D12?

DirectMan,

At this point in time, we do not have the smarts to distinguish between LIL channels on D10 and LIL channels on D12. The LIL's shown on D10 are still there because we have no technical justification to move some/all of them to D12.

In the case of CONUS signals, we can clearly define which sat, D10 or D12, is providing that channel. But not so for LIL channels.

We have had the same problem with standard def LIL channels from the sats at 101W. A standard def LIL channel from 101W is from D4S or D9S, but again, that's as granular as we can get.

#5 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

With regards to D10/D12, I've been trying to sort through the transponders the various HD markets are "coming from". In most cases, a particular transponder has multiple cities that are not close to each other (as one might expect). However, there are two exceptions...only at 103W and only on TP 15.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Harrisburg, which border each other.

Jacksonville and Orlando which border, and Ft Myers is nearby.

Now. To be for sure there are some instances when one market appears to "borrow" a PID from a neighboring market's transponder. But in these cases 1010, 1020, 1030, 1040, etc are being duplicated with the same TP for these neighboring markets.

How do the receivers in the border areas between these markets know which feed to choose from?

Too bad we don't have sufficient spot beam maps from all of the satellites so we can get a better idea of remaining capacity in the local markets.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

We could obtain some data (network, TID, PIDs ) from our receivers by using USB/Serial dongle and simple program to send FA 83 command via serial port on your PC.
Then we could answer to that questions about particular DMA.

#7 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

P Smith - I'm just relieved that I wasn't missing something incredibly obvious. :)

Now if there was someone who lived in one of those areas...

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

P Smith - I'm just relieved that I wasn't missing something incredibly obvious. :)

Now if there was someone who lived in one of those areas...

I'm sure I'm within the Jacksonville, FL spot-beam, but I don't have a USB/Serial dongle... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

I'm sure I'm within the Jacksonville, FL spot-beam, but I don't have a USB/Serial dongle... :rolleyes:

~Alan

Aww c'mon. I thought EVERYBODY had that stuff. :D

#10 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

DirectMan,

At this point in time, we do not have the smarts to distinguish between LIL channels on D10 and LIL channels on D12. The LIL's shown on D10 are still there because we have no technical justification to move some/all of them to D12.

In the case of CONUS signals, we can clearly define which sat, D10 or D12, is providing that channel. But not so for LIL channels.

We have had the same problem with standard def LIL channels from the sats at 101W. A standard def LIL channel from 101W is from D4S or D9S, but again, that's as granular as we can get.

Maybe we will find out the results of the amelioration procedure on D10 on the next conference call and whether the LIL's were indeed transferred to D12.

#11 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Closing this thread. Please see the new 7/15/10 TPN Map Thread for the most current data.
:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...