Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cost of MRV

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:41 AM

Wow, just got off the phone with DirecTV. I just got an HDTV and wanted to upgrade to the new HDDVR. I currently have four direcTivos. I got them to agree to two new HDDVR's and the satellite upgrade for $100. A pretty good deal I thought until I asked him about MRV. MRV is a deal breaker for us. Anyway, he said that not only would MRV be an extra $99 install, but that all of my old DTivos would have to be replaced too at $100 a pop meaning my $100 upgrade price now goes to $400.

I just cannot believe that's true. I paid the $100 install for the MRV and the $3 per month, but why can't I just keep the DTivos in the bedrooms until I replace those TV's with HiDef sets? DTV has made a system where you have to replace all of your receivers at the same time just to get MRV? That is really short sighted. Anyway, what I really want to know is was the CSR correct? I know, in the past, they have been a pretty poorly trained group that only gives out semi correct info.

Help me out here, please tell me I can get MRV without having to upgrade everything in the house all at once?

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 02 July 2010 - 08:39 AM.
CE Chatter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

Its been brought to my attention that i should not have posted this in the CE forum since MRV is live now. Mods feel free to delete that post.

Wow, just got off the phone with DirecTV. I just got an HDTV and wanted to upgrade to the new HDDVR. I currently have four direcTivos. I got them to agree to two new HDDVR's and the satellite upgrade for $100. A pretty good deal I thought until I asked him about MRV. MRV is a deal breaker for us. Anyway, he said that not only would MRV be an extra $99 install, but that all of my old DTivos would have to be replaced too at $100 a pop meaning my $100 upgrade price now goes to $400.

I just cannot believe that's true. I paid the $100 install for the MRV and the $3 per month, but why can't I just keep the DTivos in the bedrooms until I replace those TV's with HiDef sets? DTV has made a system where you have to replace all of your receivers at the same time just to get MRV? That is really short sighted. Anyway, what I really want to know is was the CSR correct? I know, in the past, they have been a pretty poorly trained group that only gives out semi correct info.

Help me out here, please tell me I can get MRV without having to upgrade everything in the house all at once?

FWIW, HD TiVo's can be set-up to work fine on SD displays. You can "hide" HD channels, set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and the resolution to 480i/p. So if you can get them to upgrade the other two DirecTiVo's for the same $50 each, $300 total for four HD boxes, MRV and installation is a pretty sweet deal, IMHO.

If you decide to try it, make sure they list the internet connection kit on the order.
/steve

#3 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:13 AM

Also remeber MRV uses swm system which none of the DirecTV Tivo's are compatible with so they can all be replaced with compatible swm sd dvrs but for mrv use they will require upgrades
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

I am thinking about canceling the whole thing and staying with SD. $400 is just too much money to get HD on one TV and also get MRV. Its plain crazy.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:23 AM

I am thinking about canceling the whole thing and staying with SD. $400 is just too much money to get HD on one TV and also get MRV. Its plain crazy.

Or go with your original plan, and spend $100 for HD on two TV's. That's also a great deal.

No matter what, speak to another CSR. I've had CSR's in the past that weren't aware of offers I was eligible for, for whatever reason.
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

I'd say the 4 DirecTivos are the big problem.
2 changed for $100 seems like a good deal.
MRV, or whole home DVR service and the connected home networking [MRV with DECA] is another $99 + the cost of a service call [$49]. For this price they upgrade you to a SWiM and DECA. Your Tivos won't work on a SWiM system, so they either get disconnected or need to get changed.
They offered you HD DVRs @ 50% off for both.
So they offered 2 @ 25% and another 2 @ 50%. That doesn't sound like a bad deal. You have four new type HD DVRs that get all the HD channels, which you don't get now, and each will be able to use MRV.
So if they didn't offer these deals, you'd pay $800 for the HD DVRs + $100 for MRV.
Now if you want to skip the $200 for the last two HD DVRs and don't mind SD DVRs that can't receiver MRV, then the first deal [$100] plus MRV [$100], then they'll swap the last two Tivos with R-16s as part of the upgrade price.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

What I would really like to be able to do is get the two HDDVR's and have them be able to MRV with each other. I was hoping to keep the DirecTivos on the two bedr0om units and a third (unsubbed) DirecTivo in the familyroom, next to the new HDDVR. That way I could still MRV things from the bedroom to the familyroom in SD if I want to.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

Also remeber MRV uses swm system which none of the DirecTV Tivo's are compatible with so they can all be replaced with compatible swm sd dvrs but for mrv use they will require upgrades

SWiM is not required for MRV.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

What I would really like to be able to do is get the two HDDVR's and have them be able to MRV with each other. I was hoping to keep the DirecTivos on the two bedr0om units and a third (unsubbed) DirecTivo in the familyroom, next to the new HDDVR. That way I could still MRV things from the bedroom to the familyroom in SD if I want to.

You could do that yourself, if you have, or can get, wired Ethernet from your home network to both HDDVRs. No SWM, no DECA.

There's something wrong with the 'deal' your getting. The Whole Home DVR Service with Internet Connection Kit alone only costs at most $99 + $49, and this includes converting to SWM, replacing any non-SWM compatible receivers with 'equivalent' (SD for SD, DVR for DVR) receivers, DECAs for HD receivers/DVRs, Band Stop Filters for SD receivers/DVRs (they don't work with MRV), and an additional coax run to a DECA to connect to your home network. (You need to have 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver at a minimum).

If I were you, I'd start over. However, they may not be as generous as they once were, as there are reports that there are shortages of HD receivers, DECAs, and SWM components due to the popularity of MRV (and 'free' HD).

This actually belongs in the Connected Home forum, where you'll find lots of additional information.

Edited by dwcolvin, 02 July 2010 - 09:00 AM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

As stated, you were most likely quoted what you needed in order to get MRV on all 4 of your TV's. You can just get the 2 HD-DVR's and let the other 2 DirecTivos get swapped out for SD-DVR's, which is included in the MRV upgrade price, so that would cost you between $200-$250 total.

I'm not sure what you mean by doing MRV in SD though. The DirecTivos cannot be hooked up to perform MRV along with the HD-DVRs.

If he is getting the MRV upgrade, then yes SWiM is a requirement, which is what that poster was pointing out.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

you're missing the point though .. The OP needs a new dish to get Ka/Ku .. The OP needs a new multiswitch to get more than 4 tuners off of that dish. All installs today are utilizing SWiM so the complication comes in as cost is considered.

A possible solution in this case is to run two sets of infrastructure ..

The dish has to be replace (mast and all), so maybe the best solution is to leave the existing dish and connect your DIRECTiVo's to that (same as now) and add the new setup that you want. You could then keep 3 of the four DIRECTiVo's subbed if you want for a time as you transition to the new receivers. Then as you continue your transition in the future you just move from the old infrastructure to the new infrastructure.

At some point you'll be off of the old dish and then you can just deinstall it at your convenience.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

you're missing the point though .. The OP needs a new dish to get Ka/Ku .. The OP needs a new multiswitch to get more than 4 tuners off of that dish. All installs today are utilizing SWiM so the complication comes in as cost is considered.

Good point. But if the initial $100 covers the 2 HD DVRs and dish replacement (including SWM), the $99 MRV definitely covers the rest of the MRV plumbing and replacing incompatible receivers, as it has for every other MRV install.

He could most surely for the $100 have the additional HD dish and HD DVRs installed, leaving the legacy infrastructure, then order the MRV install to update everything to SWM (for $99 + $49), so why not all at the same time? The CSR is incorrect in wanting to charge for the legacy box replacement.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

The CSR is incorrect in wanting to charge for the legacy box replacement.

I disagree, but maybe because I'm reading it differently.
2 TiVos get replaced for $100 total.
2 more TiVos get replaced for $200.
All four replacements are HD DVRs that have MRV.
Connected home for another $100.
So $400 for four HR2xs + MRV, or $200 for 2 HD DVRs + MRV and 2 R-16s.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:36 AM

I disagree, but maybe because I'm reading it differently.
2 TiVos get replaced for $100 total.
2 more TiVos get replaced for $200.
All four replacements are HD DVRs that have MRV.
Connected home for another $100.
So $400 for four HR2xs + MRV, or $200 for 2 HD DVRs + MRV and 2 R-16s.

Not the way I read it, but $400 for 4 HR2xs (does he even want/need 4 HD DVRs with MRV?) and MRV and new HD dish and SWM is a Very Good Deal. :hurah:
(And D* will probably pay the installer $30 for all that work :()

He needs to verify that's what the work order says.

Edited by dwcolvin, 02 July 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Not the way I read it, but $400 for 4 HR2xs (does he even want/need 4 HD DVRs with MRV?) and MRV and new HD dish and SWM is a Very Good Deal. :hurah:
(And D* will probably pay the installer $30 for all that work :()

He needs to verify that's what the work order says.

I don't think the order was placed, but hopefully this thread has given the OP a bit more information and they can see which way they want to go.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Here is what the guy quoted me. The first HDDVr for free (well $19.95). The second HDDVR was $199.00 (minus a $100 credit to my bill). The install of the HD satellite dish is free. The MRV hardware was going to be $99.00 and then he was going to charge me $100 each for two HD receivers (not DVR's). Total would have been $19.95+199-100+99+100+100= $417.95

#17 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Here is what the guy quoted me. The first HDDVr for free (well $19.95). The second HDDVR was $199.00 (minus a $100 credit to my bill). The install of the HD satellite dish is free. The MRV hardware was going to be $99.00 and then he was going to charge me $100 each for two HD receivers (not DVR's). Total would have been $19.95+199-100+99+100+100= $417.95

With the MRV upgrade, the upgrade of the DTivos to SD DVRs will be included for free. If you want to replace them with HD receivers, you can 'buy' (they're still leased) H24s at Solid Signal for $100 whenever you want to.

#18 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

With the MRV upgrade, the upgrade of the DTivos to SD DVRs will be included for free. If you want to replace them with HD receivers, you can 'buy' (they're still leased) H24s at Solid Signal for $100 whenever you want to.

Will the SDDVR's do MRV?

#19 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Will the SDDVR's do MRV?

No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   bengalfreak

bengalfreak

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:01 AM

Kind of a shady question, but if I replaced the SD DTivos with used HR10-250's via eBay, would direcTV then replace those with HiDef DVR's when I upgraded?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...