Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Using A Window Of Opportunity

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bgothard72

bgothard72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

http://www.investors...39172&ven=yahoo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

From the link:

Satellite broadcaster DirecTV Group (DTV) plans to expand its pay-per-view movie offerings by 10 times, to 400 titles, this summer.

Like cable TV rivals, DirecTV is looking to exploit a window of opportunity — a four-week window, to be precise — by beaming new releases to homes before they can be rented from DVD distributors Netflix (NFLX) and Redbox.

DirecTV's pay-per-view service now offers 30 to 40 movies. About half its 18.6 million U.S. customers — those with set-top boxes that have built-in digital video recorders — can download movies, but the company hopes more users will now get its DVR service.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   DIRECTVFREAK101

DIRECTVFREAK101

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

No matter what they do I am never going to give up my Netflix. I love that service too much since Blockbuster is dead to me.

#4 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:48 AM

Satellite broadcaster DirecTV Group (DTV) plans to expand its pay-per-view movie offerings by 10 times, to 400 titles, this summer.
...DirecTV's pay-per-view service now offers 30 to 40 movies.

Hmmm... Since I said the very same thing a few days ago in another thread and was essentially called an idiot/troll/trouble-maker for even suggesting such a thing, am I vindicated now that a journalist has said the same thing, or is Investor's Business Daily wrong too?

#5 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hmmm... Since I said the very same thing a few days ago in another thread and was essentially called an idiot/troll/trouble-maker for even suggesting such a thing, am I vindicated now that a journalist has said the same thing, or is Investor's Business Daily wrong too?

Same old story, the early adopters always get hammered.:rolleyes:;):lol:
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

It would seem that the Whole Home DVR Service as it currently exists is somewhat in conflict with the goal of making VOD available to more viewers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

It would seem that the Whole Home DVR Service as it currently exists is somewhat in conflict with the goal of making VOD available to more viewers.

Umm... how?

By design... Whole Home DVR Service, by connecting your boxes via a network... and then connecting that network to the internet... brings the entire broadband feature set to those boxes.

Just because more content is going to be sent to the boxes (Which is nothing new), doesn't reduce or change the impact of the broadband delivery of other titles.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

The two couldn't be more unrelated, in terms of having any conflict.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

You admitted you were stirring the pot/blowing off steam. http://www.dbstalk.c...957#post2516957

I could care less whether there are 400 or 4 million PPV titles or whether they come via sat or internet. I'll never watch any of them.

You're not vindicated because all you did was try and cause an argument over the company plan. Investor's Business Daily just reported the plan most of us knew already...not moan/start trouble about the 400 titles not being available.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

it also seems that the traffic on the freeway next to where I work is flowing pretty well today .. that too has about as much in common with VOD as what you've said. :scratchin
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

They're pitching WHDS as a way to serve mulitiple TVs with a single DVR. This would seem to be counter to the goal of getting more DVRs into the field.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

They're pitching WHDS as a way to serve multiple TVs with a single DVR. This would seem to be counter to the goal of getting more DVRs into the field.

That would seem to make them complimentary goals, no conflicting ones.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

They're pitching WHDS as a way to serve mulitiple TVs with a single DVR. This would seem to be counter to the goal of getting more DVRs into the field.

Then you are missing the point .. There are lots of households without any DVR. There may be a goal along the lines you are thinking but it has more to do with getting non-DVR homes to become DVR homes (giving DIRECTV $7/month more in revenue).

Whole Home is a way to provide another location to view that DVR (new or existing) and is a different push. It's not surprising that DIRECTV is pushing both, just to different segments of the user base.

VOD == push a DVR to non-DVR customers

MRV == push more receivers or MRV service to existing DVR customers

As I implied .. unrelated, however, they are complimentary.

#14 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Those would only be conflicting goals if every household already had a DVR. Since that is not the case, it is completely in sync to get more DVRs into the field, but only need a single one in each household.

In fact, it's probably easier to convince a non-DVR household to get a DVR when they can be talked into just 1 DVR to serve recordings to the whole house.
DogLover

My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

Note the use of the word beaming (satellite dish) not streaming (internet) this is probably what D12 was intended for all along, goodbye BBCA.
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

Note the use of the word beaming (satellite dish) not streaming (internet) this is probably what D12 was intended for all along, goodbye BBCA.

Here we go. The sky is falling, part II. :rolleyes:

#17 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

No matter what they do I am never going to give up my Netflix. I love that service too much since Blockbuster is dead to me.

Same here. A 28-day delay is not going to have me switch from Netflix to PPV, especially since I get more value out of my Netflix membership. I have the 3 disc Blu-ray rental plan. I received 16 discs last month which if I had viewed these titles via PPV it would have cost $95.84. That may seem like a large number of titles, but we do not have any premium channels.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - 2014

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I would certainly prefer most (if not all) PPV to be available via internet rather than sat. But since a large chunk of DIRECTV's subs aren't connected to the internet, that ain't likely anytime soon.

#19 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

This is a new concept/methodology .. don't read into it the way you are. There will be plenty of bandwidth to go around for everyone.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

No, you were just told that they haven't finished the implementation yet. No one ever said they weren't doing it.

The article posted here says "plans to" not "has."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...