Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Using A Window Of Opportunity

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

You're not vindicated because all you did was try and cause an argument over the company plan. Investor's Business Daily just reported the plan most of us knew already...not moan/start trouble about the 400 titles not being available.

When I claimed that the 400 titles weren't available yet, everybody denied it. They said all PPV counts and that all 400 titles were already available, not just the 30-40 I counted. According to this story, all PPV doesn't count, so those who claimed it did (in a very condescending way I might add) were wrong, and I am vindicated. My main point is that for this summer, the rollout is over, and D* failed to deliver all they promised, which includes these 400 titles. Whether I really care about PPV or not (which I don't) is irrelevant.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

No, you were just told that they haven't finished the implementation yet. No one ever said they weren't doing it.

The article posted here says "plans to" not "has."

No, I was told they already had HERE. If so, then where are they? I knew they hadn't implemented before I even asked the (rhetorical) question.

So to get back on topic, does anyone know how in the heck they are going to deliver 400 PPV titles via sat? I've read the theories about using spotbeams, but does anyone know for sure?

#23 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

No, I was told they already had HERE. If so, then where are they? I knew they hadn't implemented before I even asked the (rhetorical) question.

So to get back on topic, does anyone know how in the heck they are going to deliver 400 PPV titles via sat? I've read the theories about using spotbeams, but does anyone know for sure?

This is just getting started in the process .. Are there even 400 movies making their way from the theaters to on demand in all of 2010? Let's be a little pragmatic about it here. This is a process not an ultimatum.

Also, your beef seems to be due to lack of channels because of this .. as I said a few posts up .. there will be plenty of bandwidth to go around.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

When I claimed that the 400 titles weren't available yet, everybody denied it.

Oh, bull. You find one post that conjectures on how to count PPV, which says NOTHING about you whatsoever and ignore the ranting and raving you did in another thread where you were told it was not there yet.

http://www.dbstalk.c...908#post2516908

You are just making things up.

And quoting the wrong thread to boot!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

This is a new concept/methodology .. don't read into it the way you are. There will be plenty of bandwidth to go around for everyone.

Doug, I am trying to remember. This is using another part of D12, right? Not the part that is streaming the new HD to us.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#26 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

Note the use of the word beaming (satellite dish) not streaming (internet) this is probably what D12 was intended for all along, goodbye BBCA.

They already added the Cinema channels, they're just going to put a larger number of movies on them.
Some people were saying earlier that they were adding 400 PPV channels. I don't care about BBCA but I'll bet that it's coming.

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

They already added the Cinema channels, they're just going to put a larger number of movies on them.

Someone gets it .. ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

This is using another part of D12, right? Not the part that is streaming the new HD to us.

There is no other usable "part" of D12. There is, however, Spaceway 1 that would appear to be unused in the same orbital slot.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:55 AM

Interestingly, IO Cable in NYC (Cablevision) has commercials running now (such as on YES Network) stating that satellite providers don't offer On Demand services. Maybe D* needs to let IO know that their ad is a lie.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

Maybe D* needs to let IO know that their ad is a lie.

It would not be in DIRECTV's best interest to go toe-to-toe on VOD. Cable typically has a substantial advantage in that space.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#31 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

It would not be in DIRECTV's best interest to go toe-to-toe on VOD. Cable typically has a substantial advantage in that space.

Of course they are going to go after cable. Why do you think they are gearing up for 400 movie choices? For their own private enjoyment. You really don't get the real world, do you? Let a cable system claim their is no VOD just because theirs may be better. I guess Dish should not claim they can deliver NFL games either?

#32 OFFLINE   klambert

klambert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

If they're talking about DVRs, I'm guessing they're talking about internet based VOD. That, to me, is the sensible way to do this. They do need more VOD if they want to compete with cable, but they also need to keep up on basic HD where they still lag behind comcast locally.

#33 OFFLINE   sailermon

sailermon

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

I think DTV PPV is a joke and I really don't understand why anyone watches it, unless they have money to burn. They would have to charge no more than $1.50 to make it competitive cost wise, and even then many can't get true HD on PPV (limited to 24 fpm capable HDTV) to match Blu-Ray quality anyway. I watch 12 to 16 Blu-Ray titles per month via Netflix for $18.

At $1.50 for PPV new releases, DTV would make a ton of money because millions would use it and use it often.

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

I have to agree with sailormom. Why should I pay the high cost of ppv and also have that studio imposed limitation of watching within 24 hours or loose it. With my Netflix, if I get a movie and I want to wait a week to watch they could care less, its more money to them if my turnover rate is down. Also I get it in BluRay, lot better then even the 1080p that D* is offering with their vod. Further the 28 day wait is no big deal to me, I just make sure something I want is at the top of my que as soon as they put the title out and I get it the first week they are sending.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#35 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

At $1.50 for PPV new releases, DTV would make a ton of money because millions would use it and use it often.

Personally I agree whole-heartedly with this approach, but apparently NONE of the PPV providers do. :nono2:
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#36 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,286 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

People must be buying at the price. It is pretty much the same with Comcast, Fios, Dish, DirecTV, Amazon, etc. Cannot be a coincidence that they all have plenty of PPV offerings and are all about the same price (including a higher price for HD).

#37 OFFLINE   klambert

klambert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Add me to the list, I don't understand it. It's massively overpriced. But I have one coworker who racks up a huge bill on PPV with comcast every month.

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

Same here. A 28-day delay is not going to have me switch from Netflix to PPV, especially since I get more value out of my Netflix membership. I have the 3 disc Blu-ray rental plan. I received 16 discs last month which if I had viewed these titles via PPV it would have cost $95.84. That may seem like a large number of titles, but we do not have any premium channels.

I have the Premier package and I also have a five disc NetFlix plan. If it wasn't for the series shows on HBO, Showtime and Starz, I'd dump the Premier package and just go with NetFlix. I started to dump D* completely a few months ago, but my wife put the stops to that. I could be perfectly happy with a minimal plan (gotta have the Yes Network, I was gonna use cable for that) and NetFlix, but I gotta keep everyone happy...

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

People must be buying at the price. It is pretty much the same with Comcast, Fios, Dish, DirecTV, Amazon, etc. Cannot be a coincidence that they all have plenty of PPV offerings and are all about the same price (including a higher price for HD).

Just proves that the American public will buy anything they don't fully understand. Kinda makes me think the economy can't be all that bad.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

I gotta agree with most here, that DTV PPV is priced way too high. Not to mention the 24 hour viewing window is absurd. The only way the price is going to come down is for people to stop paying for it. Even the BOGO's are not worth it if I have to watch within 24 hours.

Don't the movie studio's get it? I mean they are selling rights to Netflix & BB and they can offer movies at $1.99. Don't they realize that 18 million viewers are potential customers at a resonable price?

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

spam firewall