Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Using A Window Of Opportunity

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

Add me to the list, I don't understand it. It's massively overpriced. But I have one coworker who racks up a huge bill on PPV with comcast every month.

My wife and son both buy some PPV movies or sports events every month. My son doesn't care what it costs since he doesn't have to pay for it and my wife pays the bill and she doesn't seem to care no matter how much I try to explain it to her. And the herd moves on.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

I gotta agree with most here, that DTV PPV is priced way too high. Not to mention the 24 hour viewing window is absurd. The only way the price is going to come down is for people to stop paying for it. Even the BOGO's are not worth it if I have to watch within 24 hours.

Don't the movie studio's get it? I mean they are selling rights to Netflix & BB and they can offer movies at $1.99. Don't they realize that 18 million viewers are potential customers at a resonable price?

Aw, now you're being logical. That never works with this stuff. I can't imagine watching a movie with a 24 hour window, but it seems as if others can and as long as they do, they'll pay a premium price for it.

Rich

#43 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I gotta agree with most here, that DTV PPV is priced way too high. Not to mention the 24 hour viewing window is absurd. The only way the price is going to come down is for people to stop paying for it. Even the BOGO's are not worth it if I have to watch within 24 hours.

Don't the movie studio's get it? I mean they are selling rights to Netflix & BB and they can offer movies at $1.99. Don't they realize that 18 million viewers are potential customers at a resonable price?

People buy PPV .. otherwise the prices wouldn't be what they are.

DIRECTV now offers new releases earlier than Netflix and that may be some of the draw.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

so, they're going bump ppv tenfold? but i'm still watching breaking bad and mad men in sd? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#45 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

so, they're going bump ppv tenfold? but i'm still watching breaking bad and mad men in sd? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

And we don't have BBCA in HD! Why?

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

HD anticipation is here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=179969

This is the wrong thread for that ..

Additionally, and I've stated it earlier in the thread .. There will be plenty of bandwidth to go around for everyone .. there is no reason to be concerned.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

No matter what they do I am never going to give up my Netflix. I love that service too much since Blockbuster is dead to me.

+1000000000000

The "four week window" means nothing to me. If I can't wait four weeks to see the movie, then clearly I love the movie. If I love the movie, I'm buying the Blu-ray.

The only way I'd drop Netflix is if DIRECTV dropped their prices and the silly 24 hour BS.

#48 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

I never buy PPV, I think it is a rip off. If want a movie bad, a trip to Wally world would do the trick. If people quit buying PPV the prices will go down.
Marquitos

#49 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

You really don't get the real world, do you? Let a cable system claim their is no VOD just because theirs may be better.

I do live in the real world. A world where people who expect cable VOD aren't going to be pleased to learn that they have to buy into an HD DVR to have access to $5.99 movies and a relatively limited (relative to cable) slate of free programs.

What you're suggesting is kind of like comparing a golf cart (possibly bedecked with a racing stripe) with a Bugatti Veyron and insisting that your "sports car" is just as good as theirs.

There are just some cans of whoop-ass that need to be left alone unless someone really wants to know -- at which point, you have a thoughtful answer.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#50 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

I never buy PPV, I think it is a rip off. If want a movie bad, a trip to Wally world would do the trick. If people quit buying PPV the prices will go down.

Yet if anything the prices have gone up along with the restrictions .. That should tell you something.

#51 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Yet if anything the prices have gone up along with the restrictions .. That should tell you something.

It suggests they have a customer base that is willing to pay regardless. The question is how much larger they expect that customer base can get and whether or not it will appear to be a selling point against the competition when trying to draw customers away.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#52 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

I do live in the real world. A world where people who expect cable VOD aren't going to be pleased to learn that they have to buy into an HD DVR to have access to $5.99 movies and a relatively limited (relative to cable) slate of free programs.

You don't need a HD DVR for $5.99 movies. Movies are available on the 100s channel range.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#53 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

You don't need a HD DVR for $5.99 movies. Movies are available on the 100s channel range.

Yup...which we DirecTV subscribers know, of course. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   bills976

bills976

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Pricing and viewing restrictions are likely out of DirecTV's control and in the hands of the studios. Look at how many PPV coupons people get - DirecTV wants to hook more people on it. I suspect that if it were up to DirecTV, there'd either be a "netflix" model of all-you-can-eat PPV or single PPV viewings would be cheaper in order to make it up in volume.
Living Room: HR20-700 connected to a 52" Sony KDL-52Z5100
OTA: Radio Shack 15-2187 diplexed over SWM with Channel Master diplexers
Dish: CalAmp Slimline w/ WNC SWMline LNB
Spare receiver gathering dust: Phillips DSR-704

#55 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

Yup, fully understand why DIRECTV is doing what they're doing. :money:

I'd do the same thing too. ;)

However, I'm not !pusht! money. I must spend wisely. Netflix is the wise choice. Cheaper, better picture and better sound than DIRECTV PPV. Plus, I can keep the movie for longer than 24 hours too. :D

#56 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:51 AM

I think DTV PPV is a joke and I really don't understand why anyone watches it, unless they have money to burn. They would have to charge no more than $1.50 to make it competitive cost wise, and even then many can't get true HD on PPV (limited to 24 fpm capable HDTV) to match Blu-Ray quality anyway. I watch 12 to 16 Blu-Ray titles per month via Netflix for $18.

At $1.50 for PPV new releases, DTV would make a ton of money because millions would use it and use it often.

No matter how much I want to pay Netflix I can't decide at five PM that I want to watch Shutter Island at six and be able to do so. One pays something for convenience.

And as far as PQ goes, I've never directly compared DirecTV's 24fps 1080p with a BD, but I can say that the PPV 1080P PQ is definitely better than, say, the premium movie channels.

I do agree that the price is too high, however. I'd use PPV a lot more if it were cheaper.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#57 OFFLINE   wmj5

wmj5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:55 AM

I can remember when I came with them and you had ussb and D* ever month you got 2 free movie coupons ever month, but that was sept. 1995, they could still do that, they might sell more movies, which I wouldn"t buy any, I haven"t bought a movie in over 10 years, and don"t intend to, as a matter of fact I thinking of hucking on to my new antenna and let them have it, ever time you turn around they are going up, 15 years is about long enough!!!
directv since 1995
sony KDL-46Z4100 w/hdmi cable hookup
AUD9 slimline dish-H23-600 receiver
sony str-dg500 dvd & cd player
pc-dell dimension 8400 w/ 22" widescreen
flat panel ultrasharp hd monitor w/ adjustable stand

#58 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, cause you don't need a box of any kind to get cable so you can pay $5.99 for VOD movies. Again, what world do you live in?

Also, the slate of free programs is close to the number I get on Fios and close to the number I had on Comcast a few months ago when I cancelled. Guess you are believing advertising...

What you're suggesting is kind of like comparing a golf cart (possibly bedecked with a racing stripe) with a Bugatti Veyron and insisting that your "sports car" is just as good as theirs.

There are just some cans of whoop-ass that need to be left alone unless someone really wants to know -- at which point, you have a thoughtful answer.

Yeah, and Kia should stop advertising they have cars since they are not all Porsches.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,701 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

It suggests they have a customer base that is willing to pay regardless. The question is how much larger they expect that customer base can get and whether or not it will appear to be a selling point against the competition when trying to draw customers away.

WHO is drawing them away?

Let's see. Percy Jackson and the Olympians costs $5.99 in HD on DirecTV, Percy Jackson and the Olympians costs $5.99 in HD on Fios. Both have the same terms of sale.

So, how is DirecTV losing customers because of their VOD offerings?

The damned things are overpriced for me and a lot of people but they obviously sell and the price and terms of sale are pretty much driven by the studios and distributors as much or more than the end provider.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#60 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, and Kia should stop advertising they have cars since they are not all Porsches.

Kia has never claimed to offer a world-class sports coupe just as you're never hear Porche bragging about their unprecedented factory warranty. Kia makes cars and Porche makes cars but each has a relative specialty and they need to stick to selling what they do well and not about how they can be everything to everyone.

The point I'm failing to impress upon you is that D* needs to toot its horn about what it does best (or at least every bit as good as the best) and have a clear explanation for the things it doesn't do as big. It isn't an all-or-nothing proposition as you seem to like to paint it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...