Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local SD Channels FUBAR

l641

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

Turned on my R15-300 this AM. Local channels not working properly. Channel 4 (Independent) is showing FMC Channel 258; Channel 7 PBS has a "Channel not purchased/721" error; Channel 12 NBC is showing USA 242; Channel 17 CW is showing TNT; Channel 25 ABC has the 721 error; Channel 30 Fox is showing MSNBC and Channel 47 CBS is showing some DirecTV channel (split into 9 screens showing new users how to use their guide and remote). Rest of the channels (200 and above) appear to be working normally.

All 3 of our SD units are like this; our 2 HD units are working normally.

I tried several resets (menu, RBR, unplugged unit) and then went online to send a refresh signal from DirecTV's web site. Nothing changed. Called a CSR and she had me do most of those plus she sent a new authorization to the unit, had me pull the access card to verify the number and turned the unit off & on. She also had me unplug the TV (not sure what impact that could have on this problem) and go through the Satellite Setup menus.

That was before 9am today and nothing fixed our problem. Since she couldn't solve the problem, she elevated the problem internally at DirecTV. But as of 6pm, nothing has changed and we haven't heard from DirecTV.

My limited troubleshooting knowledge has me leaning towards a faulty LNB, but I wouldn't bet more than a soft drink on this as the solution. Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

Most likely, you had a power surge that scrambled the switch. Usually, if you power down ALL of your receivers for about 5 minutes (or disconnect the sat lines from them), which stops them from sending power to the switch, the switch will reset and everything will be fine.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Worked like a champ BattleZone. Thank you.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

Update: I was watching a local SD channel when the picture flickered, then went to a "searching for sat signal" message, and then to USA network (without the receiver changing from local channel 12). After about 5 seconds, the regular NBC programing showed up. Then a couple of minutes later, the channel quickly swapped back and forth between NBC and USA for about 15 seconds.

Bad switch?

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

Update: I was watching a local SD channel when the picture flickered, then went to a "searching for sat signal" message, and then to USA network (without the receiver changing from local channel 12). After about 5 seconds, the regular NBC programing showed up. Then a couple of minutes later, the channel quickly swapped back and forth between NBC and USA for about 15 seconds.

Bad switch?

Could be that the switch was damaged in the power surge. If you can, bypass the switch completely and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, then the switch needs to be replaced.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l641

spam firewall