Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Locals - City By City What's Available (v2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
828 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

PLEASE NOTE:
The data and charts attached have not been updated by 'bamaweather' since September, 2010. We are hoping bama's personal circumstances change to allow him to return to the great work he has assembled.

In the meantime, please see the TPN_MAP Thread in the Tips and Resources Forum. An Excel there is updated at least weekly and lists each and every LIL channel and also provides a detailed listing of all the LIL Markets.

gct 2/25/12

This post was created to provide the latest information on SD and HD local channel availability from DirecTV. The web pages linked below contain the latest local channel information. Updates to local channel availability will be discussed in this thread.

Main page - contains links to the three big lists, a coverage map, and some other interesting/random statistics.

DirecTV locals channels sorted by:
*City name
*State
*TV market

Posted Image

If you have any suggestions, corrections, updates, etc, please respond to this thread or send me a private message. Updates to the list will be posted, much in the same way I've been posting updates to the previous local channels thread.

Edited by gct, 25 February 2012 - 09:41 PM.
note caveat - bama not available to update

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

After almost four years of developing and diligently maintaining the DirecTV HD Local Channel lists, Newshawk has decided to go into HD LiL list retirement. He has graciously provided me the opportunity to take over the lists. In his stead, my mission will be just to not completely screw things up.

"Version 2" of the lists will introduce a few new features. The biggest ones are:
*All channels (SD and HD) will now be listed and all markets will be listed (available or unavailable on DirecTV)
*With the help of doctor j, channels with so-called test feeds in the transponder map data will be highlighted to help provide an indication of new channels that may be added in the future.

Information previously in the availability lists has been consolidated into the local channel lists. The overflow and part-time RSNs are still a work in progress.

And once again, thanks to Newshawk for all of your hard work on the original lists, and thanks for the opportunity to take over!

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

DMA 157 has had their HD locals moved up to October.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

Nice work. I do love how the DirecTV locals data is hosted on comcast.net. ;)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,695 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Great thread, excellent work. Thank you, Newshawk and doctor j too

#6 OFFLINE   wall-e

wall-e

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to make this detailed map and to share it with everyone.

I do have some info to provide about the Salt Lake DMA. The Salt Lake DMA is pretty big and covers all of Utah, parts of Nevada, parts of Idaho, and parts of Wyoming.

The Directv SD locals spot beam for Salt Lake coverage covers the entire DMA, including the parts as far west as Carlin, Nevada, parts of Southern Idaho, and parts of western Wyoming.

The Directv HD locals for Salt Lake coverage is greatly limited. The HD locals spot beam covers mainly the northern part of Utah only. Your map shows that all of Utah is covered. Basically everything south of Filmore, UT 84631 does not have Directv HD locals. Only SD locals are available.

The directv website shows as a new customer with a UTAH zip will get locals in HD. But, if you use the directv.com/locals to check zip, it will tell you if HD locals are actually available.

When I have called Directv to inquire about this, they apologize about the situation, and have no details as to when the Directv HD locals for Salt Lake will be available to the rest of the Salt Lake DMA.

Here is a short list of Salt Lake DMA where SD locals are available, but HD locals are not.
Beaver, UT 84713
Filmore, UT 84631
Monticello, UT 84535
St George, UT 84770
Wendover, UT 84083
Carlin, NV 89822
Elko, NV 89801
Ely, NV 89301

Strangely enough, here is an example of cities outside the state of UTAH that have Directv HD locals for Salt Lake.
Evanston, WY 82931
Preston, ID 84263

Hope this helps.
Thanks again for all your efforts

#7 OFFLINE   cheesedjdj

cheesedjdj

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

Very nice job on the new list, I like it a lot
3 D10-300s (Owned, 1 not in use)
2 HR22-100s (Leased)
1 H24-700
1 Directivo SIR-S4080R (Owned, Currently not in use)
Slimline 3 Dish
WB68
Directv since May 2005
Detailed Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

After almost four years of developing and diligently maintaining the DirecTV HD Local Channel lists, Newshawk has decided to go into HD LiL list retirement. He has graciously provided me the opportunity to take over the lists. In his stead, my mission will be just to not completely screw things up.

I can't think of a better choice for his replacement... :)

Looking forward to your updates... one in particular! :D

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

DMA 157 has had their HD locals moved up to October.

Thanks for catching that! I updated the announced markets list when they bumped the date up, but apparently forgot to update some of the cities in the lists. One of the hardest things was keeping up with all of the changes when I was first creating the lists. It has been corrected, along with Terre Haute, Clarksburg, and Wheeling where I also made the the same mistake.

Nice work. I do love how the DirecTV locals data is hosted on comcast.net. ;)

I had considered for a while purchasing web space to host things, but in the end I couldn't pass on making Comcast host the DirecTV lists. :D

Thanks for taking the time to make this detailed map and to share it with everyone.

I do have some info to provide about the Salt Lake DMA. The Salt Lake DMA is pretty big and covers all of Utah, parts of Nevada, parts of Idaho, and parts of Wyoming.

The Directv SD locals spot beam for Salt Lake coverage covers the entire DMA, including the parts as far west as Carlin, Nevada, parts of Southern Idaho, and parts of western Wyoming.

The Directv HD locals for Salt Lake coverage is greatly limited. The HD locals spot beam covers mainly the northern part of Utah only. Your map shows that all of Utah is covered. Basically everything south of Filmore, UT 84631 does not have Directv HD locals. Only SD locals are available.

The directv website shows as a new customer with a UTAH zip will get locals in HD. But, if you use the directv.com/locals to check zip, it will tell you if HD locals are actually available.

When I have called Directv to inquire about this, they apologize about the situation, and have no details as to when the Directv HD locals for Salt Lake will be available to the rest of the Salt Lake DMA.

Here is a short list of Salt Lake DMA where SD locals are available, but HD locals are not.
Beaver, UT 84713
Filmore, UT 84631
Monticello, UT 84535
St George, UT 84770
Wendover, UT 84083
Carlin, NV 89822
Elko, NV 89801
Ely, NV 89301

Strangely enough, here is an example of cities outside the state of UTAH that have Directv HD locals for Salt Lake.
Evanston, WY 82931
Preston, ID 84263

Hope this helps.
Thanks again for all your efforts

I am making an effort to make the map as accurate as possible, but it takes a while looking up all of the fringe zip codes to determine where things are different. I have already begun chipping away at some of the other markets that don't have 100% coverage (see the SD-only areas of the Albuquerque and Wichita markets for instance). It'll still be a while before I get through all of them. Thanks for Salt Lake City DMA info. That will certainly help out once I get to that market.

#10 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Gee, I feel like a proud papa watching his child heading off to college right now. I'm happy to see the new lists have been launched and I can "retire", but I'll miss those long nights/early mornings slaving over a hot computer trying to update the lists (um, maybe not.)

I asked bamaweather if he would take over the lists because he has, frankly, surpassed my capability to glean the info needed to feed the lists. He has taken the lists to a new level and added the one thing I wished I could have added-a map.

I'll still be around, but I may not be as active as I used to be. There's a reason for that. Now that the new lists are launched, I can finally let it be known that I am a DirecTV employee. I do need to stress that in the entirety of the existence of the LiL lists, I relied on the publicly available resources at DirecTV.com to maintain the lists. The fact that I was allowed to keep the lists going as long as I have is proof of that.

Now that I've "outed" myself, I will be more of a lurker though I'll still throw in an occasional comment. However, I'll still be there every Friday night, pushing the envelope of DirecTV HD DVR wonderfulness, and I'll still read the forum every day before work. (It prepared me for what I have come to call "The Day the HD DVRs Stood Still".)

So, congrats, bamaweather, on getting the new DirecTV locals lists up and running. I stand down, you have the watch!

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:42 AM

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but just discovered that KICU (36) in the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose market is now being carried in HD. KICU is an independent station with no network affiliation.

#12 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but just discovered that KICU (36) in the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose market is now being carried in HD. KICU is an independent station with no network affiliation.

Nice catch! I'll get it added.

I did some digging around, and the HD feed has apparently been in the transponder maps since at least last year. I'm not sure when it was added. But it's apparently a station I've been missing for quite a while.

#13 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

(1) I REALLY REALLY like the new coverage map.
(2) It may be my old eyes lack of ability to distinguish color differences, but it looks like Rochester, MN-Mason City, IA is colored as SD Locals/HD Locals Announced. As far as I know HD Locals haven't been announced yet. Again, my apologies if this is just my poor eyesight.

Thanks newshawk for all you did and thanks bamaweather for stepping up to the plate.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#14 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

(1) I REALLY REALLY like the new coverage map.
(2) It may be my old eyes lack of ability to distinguish color differences, but it looks like Rochester, MN-Mason City, IA is colored as SD Locals/HD Locals Announced. As far as I know HD Locals haven't been announced yet. Again, my apologies if this is just my poor eyesight.

Thanks newshawk for all you did and thanks bamaweather for stepping up to the plate.

There aren't any SD Locals/HD Locals announced right now. It was really a poor choice of colors on my part. See if it looks better now.

#15 OFFLINE   badger04

badger04

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

My father in law lives in rural South Dakota an has a HD receiver but only gets the local channels in HD not any of the national channels. When I asked the Direct Tech he said that since he receives the local stations from a different satellite and he ( my father- in law)r is required by the FCC to pay an extra $10 for the HD channels. Can some one please explain this to me? FYI I live near Madison WI and I pay only five dollars for my HD Channels. Why is there a difference in charges?

Edited by badger04, 05 July 2010 - 02:56 PM.
tense

#16 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

FWIW...Western KS is part of the Wichita/Hutchinson DMA and therefore has HD "locals" from Wichita via D*. They should be in blue, not yellow. (...to the extend of the spot-beam, if applicable)

However, the W KS full-power TV stations are fed from their Wichita primary studios...but can originate different programming and commercials, if they choose, too.

The biggest problem for D* subs in W KS is...if a tornado warning is in effect for Dodge City, for example, D* subs in Dodge will see the normal network programming which is on in Wichita. While they are not being fed the live tornado coverage available on the "truly local" full-power station. Only those watching OTA, or via cable, will see the local severe weather coverage.

Also, W KS D* subs will not see commercials for their area, but for Wichita instead. Nice, huh?

Edited by Kansas Zephyr, 05 July 2010 - 09:09 PM.

5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#17 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

FWIW...Western KS is part of the Wichita/Hutchinson DMA and therefore has HD "locals" from Wichita via D*. They should be in blue, not yellow. (...to the extend of the spot-beam, if applicable)

However, the W KS full-power TV stations are fed from their Wichita primary studios...but can originate different programming and commercials, if they choose, too.

The biggest problem for D* subs in W KS is...if a tornado warning is in effect for Dodge City, for example, D* subs in Dodge will see the normal network programming which is on in Wichita. While they are not being fed the live tornado coverage available on the "truly local" full-power station. Only those watching OTA, or via cable, will see the local severe weather coverage.

Also, W KS D* subs will not see commercials for their area, but for Wichita instead. Nice, huh?

Actually, the spotbeam that provides HD locals to the Wichita market doesn't cover the entire DMA. DirecTV admits this, and if you do a search for local channels in the counties in yellow, it will reveal that only SD channels from Wichita are available. And that is why I made the western portion the Wichita DMA yellow.

(Unless you live in the yellow area and can report otherwise...?)

#18 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

My father in law lives in rural South Dakota an has a HD receiver but only gets the local channels in HD not any of the national channels. When I asked the Direct Tech he said that since he receives the local stations from a different satellite and he ( my father- in law)r is required by the FCC to pay an extra $10 for the HD channels. Can some one please explain this to me? FYI I live near Madison WI and I pay only five dollars for my HD Channels. Why is there a difference in charges?

Which city does your father-in-law receive local channels from?

#19 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

(Unless you live in the yellow area and can report otherwise...?)

I'll call out west, and check. I know some D* customers...but don't know if they're also HD subs.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#20 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

There aren't any SD Locals/HD Locals announced right now. It was really a poor choice of colors on my part. See if it looks better now.

Much better - thanks!

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

spam firewall