Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Locals - City By City What's Available (v2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
828 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   dennisa

dennisa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Is there any hope of PBS in Boston Locals anytime in the near future? My marriage contract with Direct is over, and I'm thinking of going to cable to get PBS stations in HD. If they can't provide HD in a market the size of Boston, I don't think I want to give them $105 per month!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   JohnMav

JohnMav

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

Is there any hope of PBS in Boston Locals anytime in the near future? My marriage contract with Direct is over, and I'm thinking of going to cable to get PBS stations in HD. If they can't provide HD in a market the size of Boston, I don't think I want to give them $105 per month!

I received the following reply when I asked about WSBK in HD a couple of weeks ago

"We can't currently offer all of your local channels in HD because our satellite capacity doesn't allow us to do that yet. We're continuing to expand our HD capacity and hope to offer more HD channels in your area in the near future. When we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest stations or visit our website at directv.com. "

#183 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

I apologize, but I don't have any information on DirecTV carrying WGBH HD. There is a test slot in the transponder map data for WENH, but it was added around a year ago. I would recommend trying to contact the stations to see if they have any additional information. Most of the time, they'll just tell you to call DirecTV (who won't likely tell you anything either). But sometimes you might find out something interesting.

I did find it interesting that Dish Network has been uplinking PBS HD for several markets over the last month, but there are no signs of PBS HD for Boston there either (yet). That along with the fact that DirecTV added WUNI indicates to me that it's a contract issue and not a capacity issue.

Edit: Well, JohnMav's post makes my last paragraph seem quite a bit more questionable. Still, they didn't add WUNI until earlier this year, so it makes you wonder if there are also contract issues in play.

#184 OFFLINE   dennisa

dennisa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

thanks...

Inertia has kept me a Direct customer, but now I'll have to seriously look at leaving. We don't utilize PPV or the Football packages, and everything else we watch is available on HD Cable. Why do I want all that gear in my house? Is there any evidence the quality is better? What am I not thinking of? Of course there is no Direct TV reception at all in a storm!

#185 OFFLINE   gaz

gaz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

Direct TV was supposed to have locals available for the Auburn/ Columbus, GA area in September. D* has delayed lils until October. Does anyone know if they will be available the first part of October?:confused:

#186 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

According to the ColumbusDTV message board, October 27th is the expected date. Take it with a grain of salt.

#187 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

There were a few local channel updates today, all involving smaller CW stations.

In El Paso TX, KVIA-2 has been placed on channel 8 (one after KVIA 7). This replaces WDCW from DC which was on channel 15. This channel is coming off the 119 satellite.

In Yakima WA, KEPR-2 has been placed on channel 20 (one after KEPR 19). This replaces KSKN, which was being imported from Spokane and was on channel 9. This one is also coming from 119, like the other Yakima locals.

In Wausau WI, WAOW-2 has become available on channel 10 (one after WAOW 9). Because it is coming from 99, it is only available to customers with HD equipment. WDCW remains available on channel 14 to SD-only customers. However, this is a 72.5 market and the DC CW will almost certainly be phased out as this market is moved over to MPEG-4 only.

In Palm Springs CA, KCWQ has become available on channel 43 (its an LP station that is simulcast as a subchannel from the transmitter of KESQ 42). It originates from D11 @ 99. This is the first time the CW has become available to this market over DirecTV.

The lists have been updated...

#188 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

WFWA (PBS) in Ft Wayne has gone from MPEG-4 SD to HD. Not sure when this happened.

Also, SD feeds were supposed to be switched off for the Sioux Falls SD and Rockford IL markets today. Because the website hasn't been updated, I'm not sure whether they've actually switched these off or not.

Has anyone noticed any other local channels changes this week?

#189 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Any word on Channel 56 in Chicago?

#190 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:00 PM

Something tells me that WSWG (CBS - Albany, GA) might be added soon...

Posted Image

:D

~Alan

#191 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:03 PM

Something tells me that WSWG (CBS - Albany, GA) might be added soon...

Posted Image

:D

~Alan

Oooh. How did you get that one? Sports Guide trick?

#192 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

Oooh. How did you get that one? Sports Guide trick?

Sorta! "What's Hot!" did the trick... :)

First time I've ever seen WSWG since they became a CBS affiliate. I occasionally picked up their analog channel back when they were WVAG, or WSWG when they were briefly a UPN affiliate, so it's been a while.

Even though I get WCBS out of NY in HD (and SD) and KCBS out of L.A. in SD, it will be nice to have WSWG added. :)

~Alan

#193 OFFLINE   ROVER123

ROVER123

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (please direct me to the correct one if so) but what is happening with the national PBS rollout that was announced about two years ago? I'm in Las Vegas and it's not worth it to put up an antenna just for that one channel. Again, sorry if this post is out of place.

#194 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:50 AM

Sorry if this is the wrong thread (please direct me to the correct one if so) but what is happening with the national PBS rollout that was announced about two years ago? I'm in Las Vegas and it's not worth it to put up an antenna just for that one channel. Again, sorry if this post is out of place.

That's absolutely a valid question for this thread.

DirecTV is currently offering local PBS HD to over 84% of the population. Las Vegas is the 4th-largest market where they are not offering it at this time. It's possible that they haven't reached an agreement with KLVX yet. The channel is actually up in test and has been for quite some time (along with your local MyNetworkTV HD). It could simply be a matter of not having enough space to add it. I wish I had a more definitive answer for you.

#195 OFFLINE   gazdad

gazdad

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

WSWG CBS has been added to the Albany Ga DMA. I had to adde it to my custom guide. We are now complete.

#196 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

I've read elsewhere that WITF HD has been activated for the Harrisburg PA market.

Not sure what else, though, because the lookup tool hasn't been updated.

#197 OFFLINE   Malandmo

Malandmo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Any Amarillo, Tx updates? Dish has dropped some more channels and I would like to switch to directv, but not if I can't get locals. Thye currently show NBC and fox available.

Any help is appreciated

#198 OFFLINE   bigjoelee

bigjoelee

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

any word on columbus ga actually getting theirs this month?
Joe

#199 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

Any Amarillo, Tx updates? Dish has dropped some more channels and I would like to switch to directv, but not if I can't get locals. Thye currently show NBC and fox available.

Any help is appreciated

I believe Amarillo is still scheduled to get locals from Directv by the end of the month.
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#200 OFFLINE   futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

Anything on Montgomery, AL locals? I've heard the deadline was October 14th from an installer, but no concrete evidence of that other than D* website saying October 2010.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...