Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Locals - City By City What's Available (v2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
828 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Thanks Doctor J, I thought as much.... so forget about locals for a second, will I still be able to get some version of ABC,NBC,CBS & FOX on some other channels, say the national feeds?
By DMA, do you mean my address upstate?

Thanks

Hidef2010

With the receiver "as is" just moved to NY you will get NO network channels. Only channels > 70. (No 380's or 390's available unless DNS area or RV account)
The box only knows it is at the authorized address and if more than 100 or so miles away you're out of the spot beam thus no "locals".

If you call Directv and report that you are at a second home and want to authorize that address as your home (and no other receivers at old address with someone using them) the the second home's locals will be authorized.

DMA is Designated Market Area a Nielsen term for the 210 TV advertising areas in the US.

See networklist in this post:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=181801

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:06 AM

You can't really say that the locals won't work more than 100 miles away or so. Some spot beams are very localized, while others are VERY large. If your locals are on one of those large spot beams, you might be able to move states and states away... It just all depends. (Of course it could be less than 100 miles too... You just can't generalize.)

#83 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

You can't really say that the locals won't work more than 100 miles away or so. Some spot beams are very localized, while others are VERY large. If your locals are on one of those large spot beams, you might be able to move states and states away... It just all depends. (Of course it could be less than 100 miles too... You just can't generalize.)

I doubt Florida locals will work in upstate NY though... ;)

~Alan

#84 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Although I agree "in general", check out these maps.
They are allessentially the same size!!

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=171756

My experience in the southeast gives HD spots at about 200 mile maximum radius and SD LIL's at maybe 300 mile radius.

The real answer for the OP was as above. Fla to NY = NO WAY.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#85 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Although I agree "in general", check out these maps.
They are allessentially the same size!!

My experience in the southeast gives HD spots at about 200 mile maximum radius and SD LIL's at maybe 300 mile radius.

The real answer for the OP was as above. Fla to NY = NO WAY.

Doctor j

Ok Doctor J. 1st thanks for being so patient here...... let me approach this in another way, how else can I get to see my sitcoms or shows on (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS)? Can I use the ethernet connection on the back of my HR22-100 & just use the on demand feature to access the shows or will they too not appear on VOD because of my NY state location? Also will Directv be able to detect that my HD DVR is not in Florida anymore when I connect it to the ethernet port for VOD access?

Thanks
Hidef2010

#86 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

Ok Doctor J. 1st thanks for being so patient here...... let me approach this in another way, how else can I get to see my sitcoms or shows on (FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS)? Can I use the ethernet connection on the back of my HR22-100 & just use the on demand feature to access the shows or will they too not appear on VOD because of my NY state location? Also will Directv be able to detect that my HD DVR is not in Florida anymore when I connect it to the ethernet port for VOD access?

Thanks
Hidef2010

None of the broadcast network programs are on VOD.
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

#87 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

None of the broadcast network programs are on VOD.

AND yes if you connect to the internet thru your ethernet they can detect your IP address and match that to locationIF they chose to.

No BIG Network tv on Directv if you don't "authorize".

Doctor j

#88 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

AND yes if you connect to the internet thru your ethernet they can detect your IP address and match that to locationIF they chose to.

No BIG Network tv on Directv if you don't "authorize".

Doctor j

Thanks guys for all your help, I guess I am just going to call D* up and hopefully work something out with them!!

Hidef2010

#89 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

The word from "on high" is that I'll have locals tomorrow.

Will the locals pop up "blacked out" on my guide at 6:00 A.M., or will they not appear at all until I contact DirecTV and add locals to my package?!

Also... I currently have DNS for CBS, ABC, PBS, and The CW. Do I need to go through the DNS department to make sure I don't lose my DNS when I add locals?

I may drop PBS DNS (saving me $2.50... making locals cost an additional 50¢). Do I need to contact the DNS department to do so?!

NOTE: I posted an edited version of this on the DNS thread.

~Alan

#90 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Forgot to ask. Did anyone see any changes this week aside from the addition of Albany LiLs?

Channel lists, stats, and map have been updated for the new market addition.

#91 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

The word from "on high" is that I'll have locals tomorrow.

Will the locals pop up "blacked out" on my guide at 6:00 A.M., or will they not appear at all until I contact DirecTV and add locals to my package?!

Also... I currently have DNS for CBS, ABC, PBS, and The CW. Do I need to go through the DNS department to make sure I don't lose my DNS when I add locals?

I may drop PBS DNS (saving me $2.50... making locals cost an additional 50¢). Do I need to contact the DNS department to do so?!

NOTE: I posted an edited version of this on the DNS thread.

~Alan

When I added my local package for Salisbury, MD I specifically asked to keep my Fox DNS. It did not go away until I later specifically canceled it. Just make sure you tell them to keep your DNS stations.

My locals showed up in white text, but weren't available until I subscribed.

FWIW, it was the temp locals in the 60's, but it should run the same.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#92 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:36 AM

A few new updates this week. There could be some new CW or MyNetwork TV affiliates coming soon. Also, the Azteca affiliate for Wichita has apparently changed.

New additions from 2010-08-04 compared to 2010-07-28:
  *[14] WCBD DT2      (CW-Charleston SC) @ D11 TP 17
  *[54] WUPL HD       (MyNetworkTV-New Orleans LA) @ D10/12 TP 22
  *[35] KMYS HD       (MyNetworkTV-San Antonio TX) @ D10/12 TP 17
 *[9-2] WAOW DT2      (CW-Wausau WI) @ D11 TP 22
  *[33] KSCW HD       (CW-Wichita KS) @ D10/12 TP 17
   [49] KGPT SD       (Azteca América-Wichita KS) @ D7S TP 23

Newly Available Channels from 2010-08-04 compared to 2010-07-28:
   [10] WALB HD       (NBC-Albany GA) @ SW1 TP 5
   [14] WABW HD       (PBS-Albany GA) @ SW1 TP 5
   [17] WCWJ HD       (CW-Albany GA via Jacksonville FL) @ D10 TP 17
   [25] WJXX HD       (ABC-Albany GA via Jacksonville FL) @ D10 TP 17
   [31] WFXL HD       (Fox-Albany GA) @ SW1 TP 5
   [55] WSST MPEG4 SD (Ind-Albany GA) @ SW1 TP 3

Satellite/Transponder Moves from 2010-08-04 compared to 2010-07-28:
   [51] -----> *[51] KSMI SD (???-Wichita KS) @ D7S TP 23 -----> D9S TP 2

Name/Number/Etc Changes from 2010-08-04 compared to 2010-07-28:
(none)

Removed Channels from 2010-08-04 compared to 2010-07-28:
  *[30] VPT SD        (PBS-Burlington VT) @ D9S TP 22
  *[51] KNWS SD       (Ind-Houston TX) @ D9S TP 2

Notes:
* Asterisks typically denote channels that are currently unavailable. 
In some rare cases, stations without an asterisk are also unavailable.
* Listed cities indicate the DMA city, not necessarily the city of license 
for that particular station
* Stations in each category are sorted by DMA then channel number.

#93 OFFLINE   mikeak

mikeak

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

Great thread - unfortunately I don't like what I read :(

Am I reading the main page correctly in that no more local HD channels are on schedule to be added in Anchorage?

We have KTUU (NBC) that has been in HD for a long time and then we have KIMO (ABC) that is scheduled to go HD at the end of the month. I don't see either one on the upcoming list so basically Direct TV is telling me to cancel shortly if that is correct.

Thanks!

#94 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Great thread - unfortunately I don't like what I read :(

Am I reading the main page correctly in that no more local HD channels are on schedule to be added in Anchorage?

We have KTUU (NBC) that has been in HD for a long time and then we have KIMO (ABC) that is scheduled to go HD at the end of the month. I don't see either one on the upcoming list so basically Direct TV is telling me to cancel shortly if that is correct.

Thanks!

It's hard to say. In markets that have already launched, DirecTV usually doesn't announce when they are about to add channels. Sometimes, we get hints ahead of time when they add the channel information to the transponder map. At times, those hints come no more than a week in advance of a channel addition.

As of the last transponder map update (Wednesday last week), there were no hints of channel additions for the Anchorage market. So its probably safe to assume nothing new would be added this week. Beyond that, it's difficult to say.

#95 OFFLINE   mikeak

mikeak

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Thanks bama for the clarification - that is better than what I read originally :)

It is annoying KTUU here has said they agreed on terms with D over a year ago (KTUU originally wanted money) -- D says they don't have room but then they keep adding these smaller markets.

Now the final station is going HD here and I don't anticipate that being on D for a long time, but at least put the NBC station (KTUU) on there.

Huge amounts of people here that can't get OTA as the city is surrounded by mountains and lots of trees etc

#96 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

Thanks bama for the clarification - that is better than what I read originally :)

It is annoying KTUU here has said they agreed on terms with D over a year ago (KTUU originally wanted money) -- D says they don't have room but then they keep adding these smaller markets.

Now the final station is going HD here and I don't anticipate that being on D for a long time, but at least put the NBC station (KTUU) on there.

Huge amounts of people here that can't get OTA as the city is surrounded by mountains and lots of trees etc

Since locals are delivered using spotbeams, it's conceivable for DirecTV to be out of room in one region (on one spotbeam) but have addition capacity in other areas. Unfortunately there isn't a reliable set of spotbeam maps that will allow us to further analyze the space situation.

#97 OFFLINE   mikeak

mikeak

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Since locals are delivered using spotbeams, it's conceivable for DirecTV to be out of room in one region (on one spotbeam) but have addition capacity in other areas. Unfortunately there isn't a reliable set of spotbeam maps that will allow us to further analyze the space situation.

You know that is a great point. I hadn't thought of that.

Well direct tv's reply was they won't comment while in negotiations. I informed them that the negotiations are done (last year) so please let me know :) guessing I won't get a reply.....

Thanks for your thoughts - hoping the situation gets rectified sooner rather than later, but not banking on either

#98 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Mini-local HD festivus for New Orleans. Here are the new additions I noticed. Did you notice anything else?

KMYS HD MyNetworkTV/San Antonio
WYES HD PBS/New Orleans
WLAE HD PBS/New Orleans
WUPL HD MyNetworkTV/New Orleans
KSCW HD CW/Wichita

#99 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Mini-local HD festivus for New Orleans. Here are the new additions I noticed. Did you notice anything else?

KMYS HD MyNetworkTV/San Antonio
WYES HD PBS/New Orleans
WLAE HD PBS/New Orleans
WUPL HD MyNetworkTV/New Orleans
KSCW HD CW/Wichita

You're pretty good.

A test channel for the Waco, TX market NET 709 *KAMU Ch #15 is all i saw on data download this AM other than the 5 "actives" you listed.

Peculiar listing of Albany GA.
GPB PBS Ch 14 is now listed in Market 2 NET 513.
Other albany channels still showing on CONUS listing??

Doctor j

#100 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Peculiar listing of Albany GA.
GPB PBS Ch 14 is now listed in Market 2 NET 513.
Other albany channels still showing on CONUS listing??

Probably not related...

...but read this!

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...