Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Taking HD DVR on the Road

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

This has probably been answered before but I can't find it. It seems doing D* HD in a RV is difficult unless you have lots of money. If you want the big four networks, you have to open a separate account, which is even more money.

Can I take my HD DVR on the road and watch what it has recorded or does it have to be connected to dish or phone line?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

You can feasibly do what you want. When you turn on the receiver in your RV, you will have to wait for it to time out from Searching for Satellite. You should then be able to hit List to pull up your PlayList. Be aware that it is possible that at some point it might prevent you from doing so after a period of time. This is due to the receiver not receiving an authorization signal from the satellite that you have DVR service enabled.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

I wouldn't connect it to a phone line in a different area code than your service address unless you are asking to get shut down.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

This has probably been answered before but I can't find it. It seems doing D* HD in a RV is difficult unless you have lots of money. If you want the big four networks, you have to open a separate account, which is even more money.

Can I take my HD DVR on the road and watch what it has recorded or does it have to be connected to dish or phone line?

Thanks.

It is expensive and complicated to do directv on the road. You might be able to just point a small dish once in a while but never connect the phone line. Might have to get locals from an antenna. Not gonna pick up much in the boonies that way right?

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

It's worth pointing out that you can get an 18" dish and set it up pretty fast wherever you are. However, you'll miss out on a lot of HD channels that way. On the other hand, setting up a slimline dish is a pretty slow process and probably isn't something you'll want to do every night.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

I don't want to view any live programming. I just want to fill an HRxx with shows and movies to watch while away from home.

So my question is, will an HRxx allow pre-recorded shows to be viewed without any connection? 120vac and HDMI excepted of course.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

Why don't you take your DVR and disconnect it from your dish AND power and then try it? I had mine working for awhile, but now it doesn't. In another thread someone mentioned that once the DVR loses power, you won't be able to play back previously recorded shows.

#8 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

Took a Slimline Dish with a Tripod Stand and an HD DVR up to Omaha last year for the CWS. Used the AM-21 connected to the antenna on the 1976 Airstream to get local HD (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc.). Used the flat RG-6 adapters to run the coax under the doors. Hooked the HD DVR up to an LCD HDTV. The setup was quick and easy. A friend let me borough a Bird Dog signal meter which helped greatly. The HD signals including the locals were crystal clear. The setup didn't look fancy but either did our 1976 Airstream parked next to some very expensive RVs. However, most of the fancy RVs did not have HD and we did. When there is a will there is a way.

As an added bonus we were able to watch LSU defeat Texas again in glorious HD every night because we recorded the game before we went to Rosenblatt Stadium. It's a shame they are tearing the place down as it is a beautiful stadium with a lot of character. However, like a lot of things it is all about the money. With my portable HD DVR solution you don't have to spend a lot of money.

Edited by geaux tigers, 05 July 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

The HD DVR's will let you watch shows without a dish for a little while.

Then unless they get a "refresh" signal from the satellite verifying that you are still a customer in good standing they just shut down. In the old days, the SD DVR's would let you watch recordings forever without a dish but I think that the HR/R22's always "timed out" after a period of time. Nobody so far has posted just how long this "timeout" period is probably because the signal isn't sent very often and if your DVR just got the signal prior to it being disconnected from the dish it will allow recording playback for a longer time. On the other hand, if the DVR is "due" for the refresh signal you might not be able to play back recordings for very long at all.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...