Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24-500 and Slingbox Classic

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

Any ideas on how I can connect the HR24-500 to both my HDTV and Slingbox Classic? According to the Slingbox, if there is an available output on my Receiver, I can use it to connect to Slingbox. So I have HDMI out (from HR24) to TV, and tried S-Video out (from HR24) to slingbox, but it isn't getting a signal from HR24.

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have my pro connected svid from hr20 and composite from hr24.. both work fine

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

I have my pro connected svid from hr20 and composite from hr24.. both work fine

So you have composite out to Slingbox and HDMI out to your TV? Did you change any settings on your HR24?

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

I have an HR24 with a Slingbox, and all you have to do is hook it up. All the outputs are active at the same time.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

As Mr. Sweet has stated, all the outputs are open. So you should be able to use the S-Video.

I have (in my basement) an HR21-100 with HDMI to the 50" DLP and component and audio outs to my new SlingBox Solo!!! Love it!!!!!
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#6 OFFLINE   Urbanherder

Urbanherder

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:15 PM

Any ideas on how I can connect the HR24-500 to both my HDTV and Slingbox Classic? According to the Slingbox, if there is an available output on my Receiver, I can use it to connect to Slingbox. So I have HDMI out (from HR24) to TV, and tried S-Video out (from HR24) to slingbox, but it isn't getting a signal from HR24.

I had the same issue. In order for my slingbox to work without the whole system on I have to unplug the HDMI cable. If the receiver is on, no trouble it works fine, but if everything BUT the DVR is off, then the HDMI cable has to be unplugged from the DVR.
If anyone has the answer to this issue, I'd love to hear it as well.

Blair

#7 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Interesting, cuz I was thinking that this could not be a HR24 issue, and I would have to say it would not be a D* receiver issue. So try what Blair says and see what happens. Can you hook up the HR24 with component and S-video to the Sling and see what happens.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16

#8 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

In order for my slingbox to work without the whole system on I have to unplug the HDMI cable. If the receiver is on, no trouble it works fine, but if everything BUT the DVR is off, then the HDMI cable has to be unplugged from the DVR.
If anyone has the answer to this issue, I'd love to hear it as well.

Blair

Not sure I understand. It's not working for me even WITH the HR24 on...

Interesting, cuz I was thinking that this could not be a HR24 issue, and I would have to say it would not be a D* receiver issue. So try what Blair says and see what happens. Can you hook up the HR24 with component and S-video to the Sling and see what happens.

I'll give it a shot and report back.

Edited by Skizza, 04 July 2010 - 12:51 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   sheureka

sheureka

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

I have a Sling Classic with s-video and audio cables running from my DVR and HDMI running to the TV (and audio out to the A/V receiver). It works fine for me. If all of the components are off I turn the DVR on with the remote wherever I'm slinging (computer or phone) and none of the other components have to be on. - sheureka

#10 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ok, Follow up....there is only one audio out on the HR24 so how can I connect it via S-video to Slingbox and via component cables to TV and have sound on both?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:24 PM

I have a Sling Classic with s-video and audio cables running from my DVR and HDMI running to the TV (and audio out to the A/V receiver). It works fine for me. If all of the components are off I turn the DVR on with the remote wherever I'm slinging (computer or phone) and none of the other components have to be on. - sheureka

Do you have the same receiver I do?

This from Slingbox forum:

The HDMI connection will most likely shutdown the analog ports due to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
(http://support.sling...KB-5000188.html)
(http://support.sling...KB-5000221.html)

#12 OFFLINE   loganbay

loganbay

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

s-video will not produce hd video. you must use hdmi or comp.

#13 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:21 AM

Crap, you're right, I remember now that the Hx24's only have the one audio out. My bad. Do you have another box (Hx2x) that you could hook it to just to by pass the HDMI and see if it's that. I don't get why it would be an HR24 issue but there has been HDMI handshake issues in the past.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16

#14 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]The HDMI connection will most likely shutdown the analog ports due to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).

I have this hooked up through my HR21-100 without any issues (component to Sling Solo and HDMI to Pannasonic DLP)
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16

#15 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

Ok, Follow up....there is only one audio out on the HR24 so how can I connect it via S-video to Slingbox and via component cables to TV and have sound on both?

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm guessing you are using the L&R out for your TV? I use the optical for my surround sound.. you could just use a "Y" cable to split it to slingbox..

#16 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

Do you have the same receiver I do?

The HDMI connection will most likely shutdown the analog ports due to High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
(http://support.sling...KB-5000188.html)
(http://support.sling...KB-5000221.html)

I have only heard of the component outputs having this problem.. svid and composite are only SD outputs and don't fall under this requirement..

#17 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

s-video will not produce hd video. you must use hdmi or comp.

:confused:
Yeah, THAT goes without saying, that is not my issue at the moment.

Crap, you're right, I remember now that the Hx24's only have the one audio out. My bad. Do you have another box (Hx2x) that you could hook it to just to by pass the HDMI and see if it's that. I don't get why it would be an HR24 issue but there has been HDMI handshake issues in the past.

No other DTV boxes (that aren't in use) except for a VERY old one from testing days, oh, and a CNX over the air receiver

I'm guessing you are using the L&R out for your TV? I use the optical for my surround sound.. you could just use a "Y" cable to split it to slingbox..

Yeah, no surround sound, I'm going straight to TV

I have only heard of the component outputs having this problem.. svid and composite are only SD outputs and don't fall under this requirement..

So it's moot to even disconnect HDMI and connect to tv via components as there is no HDMI caused conflict or output shutoff.

#18 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

I have two Slingbox Classics (both connected to HR22-100's) and one Slingbox Pro (connected to HR24-500). All 3 are connected to TV with HDMI (one using a DVI adapter) and to Sling via either s-video or composite video, and red/white audio. Where necessary, I used Y cables for the audio to feed it to two places.

I have never had a problem getting audio and video, with or without TV on.

#19 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

Component to TV, Composite to Slingbox and 2 Y adapters for audio is your best bet .. Click on picture to go to source.

Posted Image
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   Skizza

Skizza

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

I get to THIS step in the setup

Posted Image

then it kicks me to this screen

Posted Image

Once I enter password, it takes me back to step one in the process