Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I call DTV or a tree pruner?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

Dishpointer has an iPhone app - 3gs and above. . . that should give you (or the tree trimmers) a pretty good idea where to trim. I haven't tried it but during the recent SWiM installation, the installer told me I have a year or so before a Ginko - grows like a WEED! -starts affecting my dish.

Fortunately, I think I can do it from one of the rental 'bucket lifts'.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Dunno if you can see it in my pics, but the bracket for the previous dish is about 3ft upper right of the current one. Still there. I guess the model change didn't allow re-using that bracket. Wish it would've for both positioning and aesthetics. Ya know if history repeats, all will be fine come Fall. It's just this is the first time I've gotten stuttering/pixelization. So I figured I should do something.

Hey Dennis, can you bring over that bucket!

#23 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Un releated to LOS issues but, I did not notice monopoles on that install.

#24 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

Boiled down, either move the dish east or move the tree west. :)

Problem solved, and FYI, it's "line of sight', not site.

...and a site survey to determine line of sight issues.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#25 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

You could also see about having the dish put higher to get above the tree line. I have an SL3 and the installer had to mount it on my roof because the near by trees were blocking alot of the signal areas. This was when I was being upgraded to HD from SD. Got a SL3 vs 18"
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#26 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

I'm getting alot to consider with all this expertise. Things I'm still wondering.

1) am I not future-proofing if I step down from 5 lnb to a 3 lnb. Future channels?

2) Can I see a list somewhere of the locals and other channels I might lose? Ones that are on 119 in my market? Cincinnati? I think our sports is on 119.

3) Monopole, meaning what???

4) If I call DTV before addressing the tree, am I wasting time and money. Will the tech look for alternative solutions? maybe move the dish? Change the LNB? Hey, might he upgrade me to SWM?

You all have been VERY helpful. Dennis especially if he'd just bring over that darn bucket ;)

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

You all have been VERY helpful. Dennis especially if he'd just bring over that darn bucket ;)

Ever see Texas Chainsaw Massacre? :D

I think they're done with the props. ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,876 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm afraid the rental / gas / travel would be out of both of our leagues!! Just cut the damn tree down!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#29 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

I'm getting alot to consider with all this expertise. Things I'm still wondering.

1) am I not future-proofing if I step down from 5 lnb to a 3 lnb. Future channels?

2) Can I see a list somewhere of the locals and other channels I might lose? Ones that are on 119 in my market? Cincinnati? I think our sports is on 119.

3) Monopole, meaning what???

4) If I call DTV before addressing the tree, am I wasting time and money. Will the tech look for alternative solutions? maybe move the dish? Change the LNB? Hey, might he upgrade me to SWM?

Response to #1: DirecTV's new Sats going up seem to be in the 99 thru 103 slots. They are making an active effort to get away from going any further than 103. You should be good foryears to come going down to a 3.

Response to #3: Monopoles are support poles that helps keep the dish from swaying or wobbling in the wind.

Response to #4: It's hard to say if you'd be wasting your time. Without a site survey it's impossible for anyone here to know. If the dish is able to get moved, some cable would have to be moved with it or new ones run. Coming out just for a dish alignment probably would be a waste.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#30 ONLINE   eakes

eakes

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

Today you are not receiving 119, all its transponders are reading 0 or NA. If you are not missing any channels you desire and/or normally watch then there is nothing on 119 that is of interest to you. Changing to a 3LNB feedhorn will 'fix' the guide data problem. You may be able to persuade Directv to change the LNB since you have demonstrated blockage of 119. the tech may even change you to SWM if all your existing receivers are compatible.

Other than changing the feed, the next best solution is to raise the antenna until you have clearance over the tree.

#31 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

You could also see about having the dish put higher to get above the tree line. I have an SL3 and the installer had to mount it on my roof because the near by trees were blocking alot of the signal areas. This was when I was being upgraded to HD from SD. Got a SL3 vs 18"

Today you are not receiving 119, all its transponders are reading 0 or NA. If you are not missing any channels you desire and/or normally watch then there is nothing on 119 that is of interest to you. Changing to a 3LNB feedhorn will 'fix' the guide data problem. You may be able to persuade Directv to change the LNB since you have demonstrated blockage of 119. the tech may even change you to SWM if all your existing receivers are compatible.

Other than changing the feed, the next best solution is to raise the antenna until you have clearance over the tree.

Good point. After I posted that question I went next door to my neighbor who I referred to DTV. His install was last week. His Sat is about 20 ft across from mine (cleverly hidden on the inside of his chimney). Anyway I went to check his readings on the 119. Know what? He doesn't even have 119 on his SWM setup. I cycled through all the sats, its not there.

The 3LNB is sounding like a good solution.

I'm a geek with the HRs features, but not at all up on how the satellite signal itself feeds the box. But it does seem that I should be able to change the config or a setting and make the box think its getting signals from a 3 LNB, so I d get guide data. I know that isn't so, but it just seems like it should be possible.

#32 OFFLINE   Ted M

Ted M

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

It seems like it should be possible, but it isn't.

You CAN, in the satellite setup, choose a Slim Line 3, but that leads to guide data problems.

If you tune to a channel that comes from 119, or 110, or 103, the guide data will want to come from 119, which is no longer available.

If you tune to a channel that comes from 99 or 101, the guide data comes from 101.

It is the electronics in the LNB that determines what satellite the guide data comes from, not the satellite receiver.

I had a tree problem with 119 also. I sent an email to DTV tech support and they said that if using HD they recommend a 5-LNB. This is because if any new channels come along they will be on 110 or 119.

The trees in my case are 200 feet from the dish, and some are on the property of a neighbor.

Rather than spend thousands on tree cutting I bought a 3-LNB, installed it myself, redid the setup and now I have no guide problems.

The only thing I lost are the Standard Definition locals. The Hi Def ones comes in fine, so no loss. I don't care about any "new" channels. There are more than enough now.

Ted
Northern New Hampshire

#33 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

I've pretty much gotten all my answers, but this one falls under the category of "just curious" And since I've got the experts all here, I'll ask..

How AM I getting Guide Data at all? The signal strength indicates constant 0s for 119, Test Channels 9513 and 9514 give me a 771. Yet my Guide is pretty much always 2 weeks out and complete, unless I Reset twice, which I've done before, and the guide seems to fill naturally. Does Guide Data contain Data other than what I see in the Guide?

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

I've pretty much gotten all my answers, but this one falls under the category of "just curious" And since I've got the experts all here, I'll ask..

How AM I getting Guide Data at all? The signal strength indicates constant 0s for 119, Test Channels 9513 and 9514 give me a 771. Yet my Guide is pretty much always 2 weeks out and complete, unless I Reset twice, which I've done before, and the guide seems to fill naturally. Does Guide Data contain Data other than what I see in the Guide?

:nono:

The two slots are 101 & 119 that both have the guide data.
If you stay tuned to the HD off the 99 SAT, then the data comes from 101.
If you change to channels off the 103 SAT, then the data needs to come from 119.
Changing to the 3LNB, keeps the 101 signals always active, so it no longer matters whether you're tuned to 99 or 103.
A.K.A VOS

#35 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

Gotcha! Finally. Thanks.

So now a follow-up question. Sometimes I notice one of my tuners is on the default Restart channel (channel 201 I think). I never tune to that channel myself. Does that maybe indicate that the DVR auto-tuned there in an effort to get guide data off the 101? Could it indicate that since the DVR couldn't get guide data, that it may have Restarted on its own.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

Gotcha! Finally. Thanks.

So now a follow-up question. Sometimes I notice one of my tuners is on the default Restart channel (channel 201 I think). I never tune to that channel myself. Does that maybe indicate that the DVR auto-tuned there in an effort to get guide data off the 101? Could it indicate that since the DVR couldn't get guide data, that it may have Restarted on its own.

:shrug:
Mine only changes to 201 after a major reset.
A.K.A VOS

#37 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

:shrug:
Mine only changes to 201 after a major reset.

So its either auto-tuning to 201, or its resetting. Hmmmm. Interesting. Leads me to think its coded to try to deal with my guide data issue.

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

So its either auto-tuning to 201, or its resetting. Hmmmm. Interesting. Leads me to think its coded to try to deal with my guide data issue.

I'm thinking this is a planned result in the firmware - after a reset, default to a channel everyone gets to start with....on one of my HD DVRs, this occurs to channel 1, on another, its 201.

#39 ONLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

I agree, but I still wonder if its a reset or an auto-tune in my case. I might try dimming my blue light to tell. Here's another anomoly-fwiw: I have 3 HRs. 2 display the guide data error msg frequently, one never does.

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

I agree, but I still wonder if its a reset or an auto-tune in my case. I might try dimming my blue light to tell. Here's another anomoly-fwiw: I have 3 HRs. 2 display the guide data error msg frequently, one never does.

Don't make me call the Ripley's folks. :D

I think that once you address your LOS issues...you should see if some of these things remain...

spam firewall