Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should I call DTV or a tree pruner?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

I wanted to post an update. On Sunday I got a ladder, an extension saw, and a teenager, and the photos attached should show you what I accomplished. You can compare it to the photos I posted before. It was the best we could do in my LOS efforts, and while not perfect, I haven't had the Guide Data nag appear on the screen on any DVRs in the house since the trim.

But the Alignment test still fails, on all 3 HRs. And about the only change in signal strength readings that I see (compared to my first post) are:

Sat 119
Still usually reads all 0s, but occasionally xponder #31 reads around 50. I'm guessing this is why I haven't seen the Guide Data nag screen since pruning.

Sat 110
those the xponders are now 75,83,77

103 (s)
I see an extra xponder
17-24: 77 88 0 0 86 88 0 0

So I called DTV this morning and I got them to address the failed System Test with the Dish alignment diagnostic code on all 3 HRs in the house. But I also raised the topic of another issue that I have (many of you know about from other threads) and that is one DVR has a bad jitter/dropped-frame issue. I've done about 4 HDD Surface Scan tests and each time that fixes the issue but only temporarily for 2-4 days.

DTV tells me that they have to address the alignment problem before they will address the jitters on that one DVR.

The CSR Tech read me that the repair ticket and it mentions the failed alignment test and the jittery DVR. Now I'm trying to prepare myself for all the scenarios with the tech tomorrow. While there is a good chance he fixes the alignment issue (maybe he changes the LNB, maybe he moved the dish a little, etc.), there is also a chance he diagnosis the tree needing more trimming and does nothing.

Regardless of the scenario, I feel certain the the bad DVR will continue to jitter. I'd be a million bucks that has nothing to do with signal strength or alignment. If that's the case, I wonder how I should proceed. Since the ticket mentions the jitters, I won't sign off on the repair ticket if I still have a bad DVR. Right? Any advice? Anything I should do before the tech comes in the morning? :confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0024 (Medium).JPG
  • PICT0023 (Medium).JPG

Edited by itzme, 27 July 2010 - 10:56 AM.
Ignore the Pine tree in 2nd photo, it is behind the dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

Now that you show the "other tree", I'm not sure that location will work anymore. "Maybe" the SL3 would clear them, but it's hard to tell from any of your photos.
A better shot would be from below the dish, pointing to the LOS and having the LNB arm in view.
I've never seen "jitter" cured my dish alignment.
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

That other tree (the pine) is behind the dish and is not an issue at all. The depth and the LOS are hard to get a picture of without making the brick wall disappear to get a true LOS angle. I tried to take this pic from the angle you asked. But I fully understand the "V" aspect of LOS. Those trees in the distance (lower left, below) are not a problem for my next door neighbor's dish, so I've sort of ruled them out. Dishpointer's Obstacle Feature reads "d=165', h-145' and since those trees don't affect his signal, I don't think they're my problem, just the close tree.

The pruning cleared that "V" LOS by, I'd guess, 50-75%. If you compare it to my 1st post.

I agree that an alignment won't fix jitters, but apparently the CSR/Tech at DTV thinks we can't talk replacement DVR until the alignment is done. I'll guess I'll just go with the flow when the tech makes his service call and sees all my issues. I just hope he doesn't try to take the easy way out (You gotta remove that tree).

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0025 (Medium).JPG

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

From that shot, it looks like the SL3 would be the easiest thing to change [to] and simply no longer care about 110 & 119.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

From that shot, it looks like the SL3 would be the easiest thing to change [to] and simply no longer care about 110 & 119.

If the service tech does go the SL3 route, do you think he'll change out my legacy install for SWM? Or is that not necessary? BTW, per my photos, mine is a 5lnb, right? Slimline 5?

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

If the service tech does go the SL3 route, do you think he'll change out my legacy install for SWM? Or is that not necessary? BTW, per my photos, mine is a 5lnb, right? Slimline 5?

Yes that is a Slimline 5.
"Would guess" he wouldn't change it to a SWiM, since the LNB swap will be easier/quicker.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall