Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which USB Capture Card

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have been looking all over to determine which TV Capture Card (USB only please) could be used to transmit a picture from my Directv STB to my laptop. I don't have HD so an SD USB card is fine, I am just not sure which to get.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

Laptops tend to be slow, so I would recommend using a USB capture device that has an onboard mpeg encoder chip, so your CPU in the laptop doesnt have to use all the laptops resources to encode the program stream, which will result in drop outs and poor quality.

A Hauppauge HDPVR, while it does HD, will also encode SD, and allows you to choose a variety of formats. Even encoding a SD program from your DVR to the computer using the component (RGB) cables and toslink (dolby digital) with the HDPVR will result in better picture quality and much better sound.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,932 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

Not known the level of performance of your laptop, but if it was powerful enough, then you might also want to look into the DirecTV2PC app here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=165127

This doesn't transfer recordings but does let you play them from your DVR.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Davelr,

Thanks. I have seen that device but steered away from it as it seemed overkill since I am not interested in HD. If it is the best option though, I will look further into it.

veryoldschool,

Is there a FAQ for that thread? I browsed through it and it all seemed very technical. I understand it is software, but my fundamental question would still be, how do I hook my laptop up to the DTV box, USB?

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,932 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

veryoldschool,

Is there a FAQ for that thread? I browsed through it and it all seemed very technical. I understand it is software, but my fundamental question would still be, how do I hook my laptop up to the DTV box, USB?

How do you connect your laptop to the internet?
If you have a DVR [you didn't say if this was a receiver or a DVR] and connect it to your home network, then this is how it streams from the DVR to your laptop.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

My laptop is connected to my wireless network. However my DTV DVR (not sure of the model, have had it for 1.5 years) is not connected to the internet.

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Here is one (I have no experience with this one) that has the onboard encoder chip, and is much cheaper than the HDPVR.

http://www.tigerdire...5401&CatId=1428

Just basically check the software that comes with the box to make sure it does what you want to do, and check the CPU requirements. The ones with built in encoders will have MUCH lower requirements, and provide better results.

The caveat is that these SD mpeg2 encoders have been pretty much replaced by newer HD versions, and you will probably need to use the software that comes with it (no windows media center, etc), and may not support newer (windows 7) operating systems.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Davelr,

That looked great and I was getting ready to add to cart when I saw problems with Windows 7 installations. Crap. Any other recommendations?

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,932 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

My laptop is connected to my wireless network. However my DTV DVR (not sure of the model, have had it for 1.5 years) is not connected to the internet.

You can use one of these since they're designed [or the receivers are ] to work: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167138

Here is some info on the DirecTV2PC app:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=143444
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

It seems that the Hauppauge HDPVR may be the best (and of course, the most expensive) option.

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,932 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

It seems that the Hauppauge HDPVR may be the best (and of course, the most expensive) option.

It does give you the option to store recordings on your laptop, which the DirecTV2PC doesn't.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

I have used a couple of different capture cards, but in the end the best bet is a stand alone DVD recorder, not much more money and works very well.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#13 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:46 PM

davring,

Do you burn the DVD and then using a file converter take it from the DVD-R to your harddrive?

#14 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

davring,

Do you burn the DVD and then using a file converter take it from the DVD-R to your harddrive?

I suppose you could, but I wasn't interested in storing them on a HDD.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

davring,

I use both the HDPVR and a DVD recorder. For simplicity, the DVD recorder is great for copying movies from the DVR, but is rather difficult for saving multiple clips from different shows, or editing commercials out.

There is a program called DVDShrink as well as many others that will "rip" the DVD you record on your dvd recorder to your hard drive on the computer. The files will be in VOB format, and will play with most all computer DVD video software. They are just next to impossible to edit, without converting them to another format as VOBs break in 1GB intervals, so a single movie could end up being several files.

#16 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

Ok, so that takes us back to the Hauppauge HDPVR. :)

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Ok, so that takes us back to the Hauppauge HDPVR. :)

It is the most versatile. Not to mention, if you have a DirecTv receiver (not dvr), you can plug the receiver into the HDPVR, load up SageTV on your laptop, and you have a DVR, media center, and internet media box, all on your laptop.

#18 OFFLINE   reefland

reefland

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Thanks, you all have been a tremendous help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...