Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Order DECA Dongle post-install?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gtspm10000

gtspm10000

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Has anyone been able to get DirecTV to ship them a DECA dongle (and power supply) after install?

I got service at a new house about a month ago (HR-24, 2 x H24s, MRV). At the time, I had no internet connection and didn't think to ask ahead about it. Now, after reading DBSTalk and other forums, I realize that I can't link the DECA network to the cloud without a DECA module connected between the LAN and the SWM splitter.

I tried to explain all this to a snarky customer service rep. She cut me off and told me to 'just plug in the ethernet cable' if I wanted internet- despite every scrap of info i've read indicating that DECA can't be used simultaneously with an ethernet connection on these boxes.

So was I just unlucky and it's in policy to send these out upon request? Or am I going to be spending $60 at SolidSignal in the near future?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Has anyone been able to get DirecTV to ship them a DECA dongle (and power supply) after install?

I got service at a new house about a month ago (HR-24, 2 x H24s, MRV). At the time, I had no internet connection and didn't think to ask ahead about it. Now, after reading DBSTalk and other forums, I realize that I can't link the DECA network to the cloud without a DECA module connected between the LAN and the SWM splitter.

I tried to explain all this to a snarky customer service rep. She cut me off and told me to 'just plug in the ethernet cable' if I wanted internet- despite every scrap of info i've read indicating that DECA can't be used simultaneously with an ethernet connection on these boxes.

So was I just unlucky and it's in policy to send these out upon request? Or am I going to be spending $60 at SolidSignal in the near future?

You can call in and order an internet installation but they won't ship it and it's $99.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

The DECA would go after the SWM splitter on it's own coax line, you were right. The CSR was wrong. Try again by talking to a MRV/Internet tech...or get them off the net, maybe from a user here.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   gtspm10000

gtspm10000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

You can call in and order an internet installation but they won't ship it and it's $99.

I just looked online- $25 for the equipment & $50 for professional installation. I'd be tempted to just spend $25 if that was an option. But for $75, i'm going to fight a bit- seeing as how VoD is part of their marketing package, but neither the order rep nor the installer inquired about the internet situation or explained the limitations of the DECA setup vis a vis the prominent ethernet ports on the back of the x24s

The DECA would go after the SWM splitter on it's own coax line, you were right. The CSR was wrong. Try again by talking to a MRV/Internet tech...or get them off the net, maybe from a user here.

Is there a number to get through to them directly? Or a codeword that the voice recognition operator recognizes?

Thanks guys

#5 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

It would be a lot easier to just order one on line from Solid Signal or other on line supplier. At the same time, order any green label splitters yo may need to connect in the DECA.

#6 OFFLINE   hublar

hublar

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Try this.

http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

#7 OFFLINE   gtspm10000

gtspm10000

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

It would be a lot easier to just order one on line from Solid Signal or other on line supplier. At the same time, order any green label splitters yo may need to connect in the DECA.

I've heard a bit about 'green label' splitters- I assume it's referring to the newer lineup that can handle DECA/MRV? As opposed to first gen SWM splitters?

I've already got a 1x4 splitter (green) and only plan on using 3 receivers + the DECA dongle to my router. I shouldn't need to order additional splitters- correct?

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,092 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

I've heard a bit about 'green label' splitters- I assume it's referring to the newer lineup that can handle DECA/MRV? As opposed to first gen SWM splitters?

I've already got a 1x4 splitter (green) and only plan on using 3 receivers + the DECA dongle to my router. I shouldn't need to order additional splitters- correct?

Correct.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...