Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR order gone mad!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

Geez…. I don’t think this can be right!

First I have to say that after talking to 5 people at DirecTV over the last week that they have been exceptionally nice. Even after some really stupid things that don’t relate to my question now they really have been much easier to talk to than in the past when I’ve dealt with them!

Now for the confusion…

I just tried to order the ‘real MRV’. I already have MRV on my account so I could use it with my Ethernet network but figured I’d do the real thing so I could connect one the HR22s that doesn’t have access to Ethernet. I also need to have a SWM16 installed because being the compulsive person I am I stopped by a local dealer and he had a bunch of HR24-500s so – I had to buy one…. (Well, pay $200 for the lease) Bottom line is I need the MRV hardware for my 3 HR22s, 1 R16 and 2 HR24s and an extra DECA adapter for my Internet connection.

I currently only have a SWM LNB so I can only use 8 tuners – thus the need for the SWM16.

When I called the first person I talked to said no problem – She’d put in the order and it would $99 +$49 installation. I said sign up me up!

After being on hold for while she came back and said that for some reason their system wasn’t allowing her to do the normal order for ‘Whole Home DVR’. I suggested that may be because I already had the ‘unsupported’ Whole Home DVR service on my account or that I had too many receivers? She checked and tried and checked etc but then finally said she talked to her supervisor and the problem was the too many tuners for the install and that she would have to have someone from tech support put the order in. She put a bunch of stuff in the notes and then sent me to tech support.

Once in tech support they were unsure why she sent me to them but I explained it all again and then this person played around trying to get it to go through. After a while she said she had to get with her supervisor to get it straightened out…

After a while on hold she came back and said she had it all set and the total would be $79! I said that doesn’t sound right – I asked her if it should be the $99 + $49 and she said no. I asked if that LOW price was going to cover the 4 DECA adapters, SWM16, splitters and all and she said yes it would cover all of that! I annoyed her a bit and asked 2 or 3 times because I couldn’t see how it would be so low…

So – I paid the $79 and she set me up with an appointment. I’m figuring that this can’t be right but I’ll just have to wait and see…

Then I get an email confirming my order… What the hell? Can this be even close to what it is supposed to be? Any words of wisdom for me? Not sure what to do now?

Email confirming my order:

Great news, we have placed your order for a new receiver!

Please review the summary of your order below. If you need to change your order, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 at least 24 hours before your scheduled installation appointment. Making changes less than 24 hours prior to your installation may cause your installation appointment to be rescheduled.

If you requested standard professional installation, a DIRECTV installer will:
• Route cable from your DIRECTV satellite dish to your TV and receiver through an exterior wall or from your basement or attic, and set up a connection to an existing phone jack within 25 feet of the receiver
• Connect one TV to each DIRECTV® Receiver
• Install a Low Noise Block (LNB) converter, if necessary
• Relocate the receiver you have now to another room, if you have already requested it
Please remember that you must maintain DVR Service if you ordered a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD Access if you ordered a DIRECTV® HD Receiver. If you ordered a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, you must maintain both services on your account. By doing so, you will be able to take full advantage of the amazing features on your new receiver.

Your order includes a DIRECTV on DEMAND Internet Connection Kit. Soon you'll be able to watch your favorite shows and movies on your own schedule. Please make sure you have the following before your equipment arrives:
• Broadband Internet connection (speed - 750 Kbps or higher)
• Broadband router with available Ethernet port
Thank you for your order. You're now ready to experience TV like you've never seen it before.

Other Important Details To Remember
Please Review Your Order
Your installer will arrive between 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM on Saturday, July 10, 2010. To reschedule your installation appointment, visit directv.com/schedule or call 1-800-531-5000.
Please make sure to review the terms and conditions of your order.
Order Date: 7/5/2010
DIRECTV Order Confirmation Number: XXXXXXXXX
DIRECTV Account Number: XXXXXXXX

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
1 Internet Connection Kit $25.00 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish $0.00 Equipment Total $25.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee $49.00 Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00 Tax $5.07 Order Total Paid* $79.07

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

You'll probably want to talk with the install company before they come to be sure they bring a SWM 16 and NOT DO 2 SWM 8s.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,936 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

Frankly I don't know what to say.
Who knows what the installer will have on the truck for this service call.
The SWiM-16 won't show up on your order, but :shrug:
"Seems like" having the whole home DVR service [unsupported] has caused a system glitch, and getting the "Connected Home Networking", should have had a line item.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

You'll probably want to talk with the install company before they come to be sure they bring a SWM 16 and NOT DO 2 SWM 8s.

Thanks - not 2 SWM8s because that would create 2 MRV clouds right?

Will DirecTV tell me who the installer is so I can call them?

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Frankly I don't know what to say.
Who knows what the installer will have on the truck for this service call.
The SWiM-16 won't show up on your order, but :shrug:
"Seems like" having the whole home DVR service [unsupported] has caused a system glitch, and getting the "Connected Home Networking", should have had a line item.

Crazy - right?

#6 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

Thanks - not 2 SWM8s because that would create 2 MRV clouds right?

Will DirecTV tell me who the installer is so I can call them?

I "think" 2 SWM 8s cause DVRs to not all see each other & like you point out, not be on the same cloud.

Installers sometimes call you prior.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#7 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,044 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Geez…. I don’t think this can be right!

First I have to say that after talking to 5 people at DirecTV over the last week that they have been exceptionally nice. Even after some really stupid things that don’t relate to my question now they really have been much easier to talk to than in the past when I’ve dealt with them!

Now for the confusion…

I just tried to order the ‘real MRV’. I already have MRV on my account so I could use it with my Ethernet network but figured I’d do the real thing so I could connect one the HR22s that doesn’t have access to Ethernet. I also need to have a SWM16 installed because being the compulsive person I am I stopped by a local dealer and he had a bunch of HR24-500s so – I had to buy one…. (Well, pay $200 for the lease) Bottom line is I need the MRV hardware for my 3 HR22s, 1 R16 and 2 HR24s and an extra DECA adapter for my Internet connection.

I currently only have a SWM LNB so I can only use 8 tuners – thus the need for the SWM16.

When I called the first person I talked to said no problem – She’d put in the order and it would $99 +$49 installation. I said sign up me up!

After being on hold for while she came back and said that for some reason their system wasn’t allowing her to do the normal order for ‘Whole Home DVR’. I suggested that may be because I already had the ‘unsupported’ Whole Home DVR service on my account or that I had too many receivers? She checked and tried and checked etc but then finally said she talked to her supervisor and the problem was the too many tuners for the install and that she would have to have someone from tech support put the order in. She put a bunch of stuff in the notes and then sent me to tech support.

Once in tech support they were unsure why she sent me to them but I explained it all again and then this person played around trying to get it to go through. After a while she said she had to get with her supervisor to get it straightened out…

After a while on hold she came back and said she had it all set and the total would be $79! I said that doesn’t sound right – I asked her if it should be the $99 + $49 and she said no. I asked if that LOW price was going to cover the 4 DECA adapters, SWM16, splitters and all and she said yes it would cover all of that! I annoyed her a bit and asked 2 or 3 times because I couldn’t see how it would be so low…

So – I paid the $79 and she set me up with an appointment. I’m figuring that this can’t be right but I’ll just have to wait and see…

Then I get an email confirming my order… What the hell? Can this be even close to what it is supposed to be? Any words of wisdom for me? Not sure what to do now?

Email confirming my order:

Great news, we have placed your order for a new receiver!

Please review the summary of your order below. If you need to change your order, please call us at 1-800-531-5000 at least 24 hours before your scheduled installation appointment. Making changes less than 24 hours prior to your installation may cause your installation appointment to be rescheduled.

If you requested standard professional installation, a DIRECTV installer will:
• Route cable from your DIRECTV satellite dish to your TV and receiver through an exterior wall or from your basement or attic, and set up a connection to an existing phone jack within 25 feet of the receiver
• Connect one TV to each DIRECTV® Receiver
• Install a Low Noise Block (LNB) converter, if necessary
• Relocate the receiver you have now to another room, if you have already requested it
Please remember that you must maintain DVR Service if you ordered a DIRECTV Plus® DVR or HD Access if you ordered a DIRECTV® HD Receiver. If you ordered a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, you must maintain both services on your account. By doing so, you will be able to take full advantage of the amazing features on your new receiver.

Your order includes a DIRECTV on DEMAND Internet Connection Kit. Soon you'll be able to watch your favorite shows and movies on your own schedule. Please make sure you have the following before your equipment arrives:
• Broadband Internet connection (speed - 750 Kbps or higher)
• Broadband router with available Ethernet port
Thank you for your order. You're now ready to experience TV like you've never seen it before.

Other Important Details To Remember
Please Review Your Order
Your installer will arrive between 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM on Saturday, July 10, 2010. To reschedule your installation appointment, visit directv.com/schedule or call 1-800-531-5000.
Please make sure to review the terms and conditions of your order.
Order Date: 7/5/2010
DIRECTV Order Confirmation Number: XXXXXXXXX
DIRECTV Account Number: XXXXXXXX

YOUR EQUIPMENT SELECTION
1 Internet Connection Kit $25.00 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish $0.00 Equipment Total $25.00
ADDITIONAL
Installation Fee $49.00 Delivery & Handling Fee $0.00 Tax $5.07 Order Total Paid* $79.07

I just went over the 8 tuner limit and had DTV come out and upgrade the system with a SWiM16. The order did not list the SWiM 16, but the notes to the installer said that a SWiM16 was to be installed. I called back latter to verify this with a differnt CSR and they confirmed a SWim16. When the installer called to verify his arrival time he also confrimed the notes said SWiM16. Installatoin went smoothly with no problems.

#8 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

<Yoda>
End badly, this will.
</Yoda>

This order isn't anywhere close to being right. The only thing that it's setup to cover is the truck roll ($49) and the ICK ($25). NOTHING more. No SWiM16, no additional decas, nada. Just the ICK.

Your going to need to spin the wheel and try again.

I'm betting that going unsupported is blocking the CSRs from adding the proper WHDVR install work order. Doug or one of the other mods can confirm, but the CSR first will need to shut down your unsupported MRV, then process the WHDVR service order. I also think that it will need to remain off until the actual installation takes place.

So it should be $99 for WHDVR service +$25 for ICK +$49 for installation.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#9 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

I had an order go someone like that for just $3.00 less, which could have been taxes.

If I were you I would NOT cancel it and wait for the truck to arrive (or an installer's phone call) to see what they are bringing to your house. Once they arrive walk around the whole setup and agree to what gets done. You can still cancel at this point since no work has been done.

In my case (and YMMV) I got a new antenna, LNB, SWiM, three DECA's and a PI all installed for that price.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

I just went over the 8 tuner limit and had DTV come out and upgrade the system with a SWiM16. The order did not list the SWiM 16, but the notes to the installer said that a SWiM16 was to be installed. I called back latter to verify this with a differnt CSR and they confirmed a SWim16. When the installer called to verify his arrival time he also confrimed the notes said SWiM16. Installatoin went smoothly with no problems.

Great - maybe I'm just being paranoid! Maybe I'll give them a call tonight and ask them what I ordered.:)

#11 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

<Yoda>
End badly, this will.
</Yoda>

This order isn't anywhere close to being right. The only thing that it's setup to cover is the truck roll ($49) and the ICK ($25). NOTHING more. No SWiM16, no additional decas, nada. Just the ICK.

Your going to need to spin the wheel and try again.

I'm betting that going unsupported is blocking the CSRs from adding the proper WHDVR install work order. Doug or one of the other mods can confirm, but the CSR first will need to shut down your unsupported MRV, then process the WHDVR service order. I also think that it will need to remain off until the actual installation takes place.

So it should be $99 for WHDVR service +$25 for ICK +$49 for installation.

I hear ya - that's why I posted here. You'd think the order would at least mention something about MRV, DECA or SWM!

I suggested to them to remove the WHDVR and then try to add the order but she said that 'wouldn't be necessary'.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

I had an order go someone like that for just $3.00 less, which could have been taxes.

If I were you I would NOT cancel it and wait for the truck to arrive (or an installer's phone call) to see what they are bringing to your house. Once they arrive walk around the whole setup and agree to what gets done. You can still cancel at this point since no work has been done.

In my case (and YMMV) I got a new antenna, LNB, SWiM, three DECA's and a PI all installed for that price.

More hope! Maybe the whole story is in the notes and all be as it should in the world.

Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,936 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

I hear ya - that's why I posted here. You'd think the order would at least mention something about MRV, DECA or SWM!

I suggested to them to remove the WHDVR and then try to add the order but she said that 'wouldn't be necessary'.

I have to think that since it really is a back door into the system, that this is the problem and agree with Robert.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

I'll say she wouldn't be correct. :)

If the installer wishes to keep getting a paycheck, a SWiM16 isn't going to leave his truck (assuming he even has one to begin with) without a line item on his workorder. That is one of several items that is damn near tracked by serial number. He's not going to part with it without a papertrail.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#15 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

If the installer wishes to keep getting a paycheck, a SWiM16 isn't going to leave his truck (assuming he even has one to begin with) without a line item on his workorder. That is one of several items that is damn near tracked by serial number. He's not going to part with it without a papertrail.

You're right! That's what happened to me. Also once a work order is generated, nothing on earth can change it. You have to cancel and start over.

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Very BAD advice. You're going to do nothing but waste the installer's time and money, when there's no way he's going to be able to complete the job and get paid. Plus, the OP will be wasting his own time.

ALWAYS get the work order correct! Don't screw the installer over by accepting a work order that you know isn't right.

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

Very BAD advice. You're going to do nothing but waste the installer's time and money, when there's no way he's going to be able to complete the job and get paid. Plus, the OP will be wasting his own time.

ALWAYS get the work order correct! Don't screw the installer over by accepting a work order that you know isn't right.

Agreed.

I've seen that "manuever" attempted by a few others, and no one wins in the end.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#18 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

I have to think that since it really is a back door into the system, that this is the problem and agree with Robert.

Back door? I wish I knew about a back door so I wouldn't have to spend the next two hours arguing with multiple CSRs.

Why is this so difficult?

You're right! That's what happened to me. Also once a work order is generated, nothing on earth can change it. You have to cancel and start over.

Sounds promising. Maybe they'll get me installed about the same time as the new DirecTivo comes out?:lol:

And how do I get the work order right? This is the 2nd order in a week that they have wrong and the first is still in limbo – because the ‘Case Management’ people wouldn’t listen to me. I have no way of knowing what the work order says and they won’t tell me who the installer is. I’ve already ‘wasted’ hours just trying to give DirecTV money. What do I have to do to get them to take my money and get me set up?

Agreed.

I've seen that "manuever" attempted by a few others, and no one wins in the end.

Manuever? 99% of the people that call DirecTV would expect DirecTV to know what they are doing and be able to get something as simple as replacing a receiver or getting a ‘Whole Home DVR’ order entered into the system. Most people wouldn’t know there was a problem until the installer showed up and they would both be confused and have to reschedule.

We are not talking rocket science here for the love of God!

Here I call again – any bets on how long I’m on the phone, how many people I’ll have to talk to and how wrong the end result will be? I’d raise hell with the poor CSR but it won’t help and they can’t do what DirecTV’s half-assed system won’t allow. Keeping my fingers crossed…..

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

It's always a good idea to have the unsupported MRV removed from your account and then "real" whole home added back. It only causes problems if you don't.

Make sure the work order is correct! If it's not, the entire work order is cancelled and the tech gets screwed out of getting payed for the service call.

The techs usually have SWiM16's on the truck but not always. That's why the work order should be as accurate as possible.

Some techs will NOT complete the internet connection unless it goes directly to the router. I got in a big fight with my installer because he would not let me tap the internet connection from one of my wireless adapters.

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, some installers need a little more training on that. The broadband DECA works fine via wireless.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...