Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External SWM LNB / DTV OTA / Approved Diplexers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

What is a approved diplexer that works with the external SWM5LNB in conjuction with a AM21/HR21.

Previous working setup was a SWM8/ Perfect Vision PVDP2PP ---- PVDP2PP/AM21/HR21. Both tuners on the HR21 and the AM21 OTA worked as they should.

Today, they replaced the LNB on my dish to the SWM5LNB. With the Diplexer in the mix, it would not see Tuner 1 and have very low signal levels on Tuner 2.
So just short of OTA....not in the mix, is there any new approved & or known working diplexers in a similar cable configuration that works ?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=180356

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

By any chance did they replace your LNB because you ordered the Whole Home DVR service?

If so, you cannot diplex OTA on that.
Thought I'd check before you spend more $.

#3 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Nope. He replace it because I was getting signal issues. See other linked thread....

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:10 PM

"Short answer", there are no "approved" diplexers.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

Is the *signaling* within the SWM8 I had different than the SWM5LNB ?

Maybe as the old SWM8 did have a OTA port to diplex in ?
However, I did not even out the rabbit ears coax in that but I had the diplexer on both ends of the runs.

I know no diplexer is approved but is anyone running one in a similar working setup....

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

Is the *signaling* within the SWM8 I had different than the SWM5LNB ?

Maybe as the old SWM8 did have a OTA port to diplex in ?
However, I did not even out the rabbit ears coax in that but I had the diplexer on both ends of the runs.

I know no diplexer is approved but is anyone running one in a similar working setup....

"The signaling" is the same. The receivers would have to reconfigure if it was different and they don't.
"More than likely" the 2.3 MHz comm signal isn't getting through your diplexers.
Now the sensitivity to this could be different between any two SWiM devices.
You may need to use these: https://installeroas...ack-pr-160.html
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

The bottom line is that a direct cable from OTA antenna to receiver is the best method. This eliminates insertion loss.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

I've done OTA throughout the years in various configurations. Goes back to those $600+ Spaun switches.

Granted there is the hi band - low band breakup (and I did read indepth past threads when I decided to do diplex one run which did work)....prior to this but I don't recall any frequency overlaps.

There will always be insertion loss , whether it goes through a ground block etc....Mine comes straight off dish, to the SWM splitter, straight to the receivers. No wall plate as each receiver has a *cable rough in*, so the insertion loss is as minimal as I can see it can be ?

#9 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

Just a quick update/thread bump.

I had a service visit which ended up with a DVR replacement.
Since it got me in the mood of DTV'ness.....I wanted to reexplore this and it's now working.

What I was did wrong was I was diplexing past the splitter.

The correct way was to diplex before even going into the swim splitter and all is well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...