Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody know why recordings made on HD-DVR1 won't play on HD-DVR2??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Has anyone managed to play recordings made on HD-DVR1/eSATA1 on
HD-DVR2? Has anyone tried bringing "the card" from HD-DVR1 to HD-DVR2 along with eSATA1? I noticed that the file names of the recordings have the same 5 digit code as part of the file name. You don't suppose that is the key, do you? Here is my next (off-the-wall) plan. I have a used eSATA with recordings on it, nothing important. I have "cleared the decks" and made room for a new HD-DVR. I'm going to use the used eSATA on the new HD-DVR. I plan to record a few things on the new HD-DVR/used eSATA. I plan to check thoroughly my playlist and see what will play and what won't. I then plan to do a "graceful power shutdown" and compare the file names before/after in Linux, the date recorded will make that possible. Then I plan to modify the code number of an old recording to match the code number of the new recordings. Then I want to see what will play. Has anybody tried anything like this?
TYVM!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

The recordings can only be decrypted by the combination of the card and the chipset of the DVR that recorded it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the prompt response!
Guess I'll file my idea in "file 13".
I was just wondering anyway.
TYVM!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Others have tried various "techniques" to play back or back up recordings made on one DirecTV DVR on a different DVR but it never works. Unlike DISH network which allows you to move your external HDD to any of your DVR's and watch the shows, DirecTV DVR's somehow encode the recording so it will only play on the exact DVR that made the recording.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...