Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR and using a splitter for internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marcello696

marcello696

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

I hope someone here can answer this for me. I have an appointment this Friday for the Whole Home DVR service and my equipment will be as follows:

HR24-500, HR20-700, and H24

My current Directv install is already pre-wired with coax and Ethernet.

Here is my problem.......I have a splitter in my data closet and in my office for my Time Warner internet and the line for the H24. My internet and Directv have lived in harmony over these splitters for about 4 months.

I've been reading about Swim and DECA and I am worried that I might need the installer to run a dedicated coax line for the H24.

if the installer tries to charge me, is running a dedicated line included in the installation and if so should I call Directv about the additional charge for running another line?

I hope this makes sense and thank you in advanced.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

The Satellite line and the Time Warner line cannot live together with MRV. You may have been diplexing it somehow or just got lucky with the frequencies :shrug: but the Sat Line and the Internet line should not be the same coax and it will almost certainly be a problem when MoCA (DECA) is added to the equation.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

I know what he's doing and I do the same thing. There is a splitter that installers used to diplex cable/satellite onto the same coax. At the end of the line is another diplexer to split the cables back out. However, with DECA it is not possible to do that anymore.

If you get the DECA upgrade, that should include any installation necessary to get you going. With regard to running a new coax for the H24, it is basic installation so they will not fish the cable through walls and rooms. They will take the easiest route for getting the cable to the room with the H24. Anything else will cost extra.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...