Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Second HDTV off one box?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doabbs

doabbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

Is it possible to run 2 HDTV's off of one box or will HDCP prevent that? I currently have my Plasma hooked up via HDMI in the living room and have a COAX (RG 6) running into the bedroom with a Standard Def TV. I want to put a small LCD or Plasma in there but wanted to know if I would need another box or not?
HR24
Slimline-3S
TC-P42S1

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Well you could definitely run component to a second TV. There are very few channels that require HDCP.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

You would need to use something other than the Coax cable for the HDTV.
This website has lots of choices: http://www.monoprice...102&cp_id=10235

A simple choice would be to use the Red, Green, Blue Video and the Red and White Audio cable for the second hookup. Those people have them all made up in one cable depending on how long of a distance you need.

You would probably also need a RF capable remote since you would be operating it from another room.

Good luck.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   doabbs

doabbs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thanks, I'm already operating in the second room using the Next Generation RF Extender, works pretty well:
http://www.amazon.co...78430189&sr=8-1

I got all my HDMI cabling from MonoPrice, they are great.
HR24
Slimline-3S
TC-P42S1

#5 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

or just get a hdmi switch and some longer hdmi cables.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#6 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

I have a lot of experience sharing DVRs between two rooms. The question comes down to what you want to watch and how important sound quality is because solving for these factors affects the cost.

The simplest solution for "HD" in both rooms is to run HDMI to one set and component/digital audio to the other. This will get you up to 1080p on the one connected via HDMI but will only get you 1080i on the one connected via component. DD audio should be available to both rooms (if you can use it). If you want to have the option to watch 1080p content in the second room, the only option I am aware of is some sort of switch or splitter. I use a Gefen splitter (EXT-HDMI1.3-142D) which is the only one I found that would reliably split 1080p signal on HDMI (with full HDCP) and preserve digital audio stream -- most splitters do OK with the video but dumb the sound down to 2-channel. In my case, I wanted full 1080p and Dolby Digital in both rooms. The Gefen splitter has been doing this for me about 6 months with no problems (tested with VOD 1080p programming).

Good luck to you.

Big K

Edited by jaguar325, 06 July 2010 - 12:24 PM.

- HR22-100 & HR20-100 to: Mitsubishi 52244 LCD and 52249 LCD shared w/ HDMI splitters
- H21-100 (2) to: Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD (HDMI), Sony KDL46W3000 LCD (HDMI)
- HR20-700 to: Mitsubishi HD 60" Rear-Projection (component)
- 3LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB616 and WB68
- Gefen 2-way HDMI 1.3 splitters on HR20-100 and HR22-100
- Yamaha RX-V2065/V800/V2090/V1070, YSP800
- Thunder provided by M&K, Def Tech subs

#7 OFFLINE   doabbs

doabbs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

Well I'm glad the answer is, it's possible. I guess the only issue then is snaking HDMI or 5 (RCA) cables up through the wall. I've already got a spare piece of cable I left for just such a thing but the size of these type connectors wasn't accounted for when I drilled the hole for the RG6 and Cat5e.
HR24
Slimline-3S
TC-P42S1

#8 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

http://www.monoprice...mi cat6&x=7&y=4

If you want to try something other than running long large bundles, you could try one of these type products to run the signal over ethernet cable (definitely cheaper per foot and loads easier to run through walls). Up to 40-50 feet the cheapest version seems to work pretty well and Monoprice return policy is pretty solid if it doesn't work for you.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Is it possible to run 2 HDTV's off of one box or will HDCP prevent that?...

The answer to the first part is "yes" (already answered) but the answer to the second part is "probably". As Stuart says, it is not an issue yet because of the paucity of HDCP content. But if HDCP ever ramps up, it may only allow the HDMI connection to work.

They are busy trying to plug the analog hole. And that is probably only a matter of time. I know that when I change inputs on one set (HDMI) the handshake affects not only the HDMI port, but the component ports as well (connected to another set) as they blank a couple times until the handshake on the other, HDMI port, takes.

So that proves the "yes" answer and implies the "probably" answer.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

I agree that Cat5 (something like this http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001RJIBN6) would likely be the best solution for 1080p. Do these "baluns" work w/ HDCP?

What is the practical limitation on run-length? I see that product from Amazon lists 60m (200ft). Would HDMI (w/o the balun) be significantly shorter? Would component differ?

Is there a "consumer grade" way to modulate the HD signal over coax, allowing the remote TV to use its digital tuner to "tune into" the HD station? (I know this exists pretty cheaply for SD, but have never seen a reasonably priced HD unit.)

#11 OFFLINE   laciii

laciii

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

I use a ViewHD 2 Port HDMI 1x2 Powered Splitter with a 55" Samsung LED TV and an Emerson 30" LCD TV. I have a 45' HDMI cable running upstairs from my HDMI splitter. I have two HD DVRs an HR21 and HR20. The HR21 is hooked to the HDMI splitter. I bought the splitter from Amazon and the HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans. All three of my HDMI hookups are run through a Yamaha RX-V465 AV Receiver. I've had great luck with this setup.

#12 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

Well I'm glad the answer is, it's possible. I guess the only issue then is snaking HDMI or 5 (RCA) cables up through the wall. I've already got a spare piece of cable I left for just such a thing but the size of these type connectors wasn't accounted for when I drilled the hole for the RG6 and Cat5e.

I think I agree with the advice to go ahead and get to HDMI (ver 1.3 or better) now if you can. If you decide to use HDMI and can cut holes big enough for the connectors, you might use the spare wire you already ran as a means of pulling the new cable through (assuming it's not tacked down). If you run HDMI through walls, make sure to look for Class 2 (fire rating) cable. Here is an example: http://store.stsi.co...22cl2-25-f.html It not only meets fire code but the plugs are not all that big. Also, some cables built for thru-wall installations have a "jacket" that makes pulling them very easy.

Good luck
- HR22-100 & HR20-100 to: Mitsubishi 52244 LCD and 52249 LCD shared w/ HDMI splitters
- H21-100 (2) to: Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD (HDMI), Sony KDL46W3000 LCD (HDMI)
- HR20-700 to: Mitsubishi HD 60" Rear-Projection (component)
- 3LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB616 and WB68
- Gefen 2-way HDMI 1.3 splitters on HR20-100 and HR22-100
- Yamaha RX-V2065/V800/V2090/V1070, YSP800
- Thunder provided by M&K, Def Tech subs

spam firewall