Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple "First Runs" recording?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

I am sure that this has been discussed numerous times here but my searches have come up empty :(

I have my series recordings defaulted to "First Run" only. However, there are alot of shows that record multiple "First Runs" thru the day. They seem to be mostly cable shows. For example, Joy Behar, The Soup, The Daily Show, ex.

Is this a problem with the guide data or bug in the DVR? If guide data, why hasn't somebody fixed it by now? It seems like an easy fix. Is there a different setting I can use to stop this?
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

I am sure that this has been discussed numerous times here but my searches have come up empty :(

I have my series recordings defaulted to "First Run" only. However, there are alot of shows that record multiple "First Runs" thru the day. They seem to be mostly cable shows. For example, Joy Behar, The Soup, The Daily Show, ex.

Is this a problem with the guide data or bug in the DVR? If guide data, why hasn't somebody fixed it by now? It seems like an easy fix. Is there a different setting I can use to stop this?

I'm not sure on the others, but I know of the Daily Show. Comedy Central is known for bad guide data, it's been an issue for a long time. Unfortunately, it's something only they can fix. But we do have a workaround. Instead of doing a normal recording, use keywords. In this case it's "Stewart nnot slant cchan 249" then that is set to first run only. Colbert is similar, but nnot discuss.

That will record only the new shows. You likely can do the same thing for the others, with different words. There are times where it'll pick up something you didn't intend, but not too often.

Edited by dpeters11, 06 July 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

As dpeters said, the daily show is known for having bad guide data that says both showings are the first run of that show. In a way they are, since the second airing is timed for the correct time for that show on the west coast on sat systems like DirecTV where they only have a single CONUS version of the channel.

There are some work arounds and DirecTV might be able to add a little more intelligence to the DVR's to help with these situations but I don't think they could ever make it 100% right and the vast majority of the time I'd rather it record something extra than skip recording something I did want recorded.

#4 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

It has worked to my advantage once in a while knowing that it will be recording again if I cancel the current recording of a show. But thinking about it more, what really annoys me is that my "Recorded Show List" is constantly showing new shows because of multiple recordings when I have already seen them.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#5 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

I typed in "Stewart nnot slant cchan 249" using the Smart Search option and it returns multiple daily shows (same show). What am I doing wrong?

How does "slant" fit into the search? what does it mean?

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#6 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

I got like 10+ showings of E's "The Soup" each week for the last 2-3 weeks. It just records them all like they're all 1st run. I finally deleted my series listing and set a manual recording for the time slot.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, All Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, WOW (Knology) Cable = Internet & Phone Only,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

#7 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

I got like 10+ showings of E's "The Soup" each week for the last 2-3 weeks. It just records them all like they're all 1st run. I finally deleted my series listing and set a manual recording for the time slot.

That's the best way to go.

#8 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'm waiting on my install, but I'm curious about this.

Is this a problem for all content or only for certain channels?

On my current DVR (Cox Cable), I can set it to record a series, say Entourage, only at 10:30 on HBO. I can then narrow it further by telling it to only record on Sundays. This helps to avoid multiple recordings if the guide labels more than one episode as new. I record a lot of shows that run every day, such as the news, that I only keep one of at a time. Every day the DVR automatically deletes the oldest episode. I'm curious as to how the DirecTV DVR behaves.

I guess I just want to know what recording options are available on the DirecTV DVR?

#9 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

DirecTV DVRs do not have time restricted recordings except if you do a manual recording.

I never understood those anyway, why not just set a manual recording in that case. The purpose of a DVR is to find the show whenever it is on. When you limit times, you are just using the DVR as a VCR.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#10 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

The reason is because you can't always trust when a show says "New" in the guide and, as shown in this thread, some shows are on 20-30 a week on multiple channels and there is no reason to record over and over again.

Edited by bob13654, 06 July 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

The reason is because you can't always trust when a show says "New" in the guide and, as shown in this thread, some shows are on 20-30 a week on multiple channels and there is no reason to record over and over again.

Again, telling a DVR to record Comedy Central at 10 pm does NOT need a program attached to it. You just do a manual record if you are going to use that technique.

Or, you just have it keep on show and it just records over it.

Or you just delete the extras.

Making a DVR say record Show A if it only comes on at 10 pm is over constraint of what a guide based DVR is supposed to do.

When you constrain it like that, you don't let it follow the show nor do you let it resolve conflicts by finding the next recording.

Also, season passes do NOT cover multiple channels. Only one.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   bob13654

bob13654

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Again, telling a DVR to record Comedy Central at 10 pm does NOT need a program attached to it. You just do a manual record if you are going to use that technique.

Or, you just have it keep on show and it just records over it.

Or you just delete the extras.

Making a DVR say record Show A if it only comes on at 10 pm is over constraint of what a guide based DVR is supposed to do.

When you constrain it like that, you don't let it follow the show nor do you let it resolve conflicts by finding the next recording.

Also, season passes do NOT cover multiple channels. Only one.

Two questions

When you do a manual recording, does it put the correct name in the recordings folder or just the channel and time? I've seen some DVRs that if you do a manual recording, it will just say something like NBC HD 10:00-11:00. Does this make sense?

Can you do a reoccurring manual recording? What I mean is, can I set up a manual recording to record at 6:00 Monday - Friday on NBC?

I would agree with your statement about over constraint if the provider had accurate guide data. Sadly, I've yet to find any provider that was accurate enough.

#13 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

Two questions

When you do a manual recording, does it put the correct name in the recordings folder or just the channel and time? I've seen some DVRs that if you do a manual recording, it will just say something like NBC HD 10:00-11:00. Does this make sense?

Can you do a reoccurring manual recording? What I mean is, can I set up a manual recording to record at 6:00 Monday - Friday on NBC?

I would agree with your statement about over constraint if the provider had accurate guide data. Sadly, I've yet to find any provider that was accurate enough.

The show name will show in the M section of your playlist if sorted by Title. It will show as Manual: <Recording Day(s), Time, Channel> for the folder and Manual: <Show Title> for the indvidual episodes. If you pad the recording to start early, it will show the title of the previous program.

We pay for DVR service. $7 X 7 Million DVR subs is about $49 Million per month. You would think that would pay the salary of someone to sit there and babysit the data they get from Tribune. I will take that job and charge a whole lot less than $49 Million per month. And I guarantee that my listings would be a whole lot more accurate.

#14 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

We pay for DVR service. $7 X 7 Million DVR subs is about $49 Million per month. You would think that would pay the salary of someone to sit there and babysit the data they get from Tribune. I will take that job and charge a whole lot less than $49 Million per month. And I guarantee that my listings would be a whole lot more accurate.

hmmm.

Is Dtv lazy/incompetent?
Is Tribune lazy/incompetent?
Are the indvidual channels lazy/incompetent?

Or is this an evil plot by marketing people to make us watch the same show over and over again? :D

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

I don't think it's fair to blame DirecTV. Maybe they could edit the data, but that's not something the carriers do. I don't know of a single cable, sat or IPTV carrier that goes through the data and checks the listings for accuracy.

I'd think that would be quite difficult.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:48 AM

It's got to be guide data. I've been getting multiple recordings of Pawn Stars but none of my other SL's have this issue.

Maybe there's some way to start keeping track of Guide Data related SL issues. :shrug:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#17 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

I'm waiting on my install, but I'm curious about this.

Is this a problem for all content or only for certain channels?

On my current DVR (Cox Cable), I can set it to record a series, say Entourage, only at 10:30 on HBO. I can then narrow it further by telling it to only record on Sundays. This helps to avoid multiple recordings if the guide labels more than one episode as new. I record a lot of shows that run every day, such as the news, that I only keep one of at a time. Every day the DVR automatically deletes the oldest episode. I'm curious as to how the DirecTV DVR behaves.

I guess I just want to know what recording options are available on the DirecTV DVR?

No, the problem is not widespread or frequent, but it does exist for particular shows (I don't see it at all on national network shows like NCIS, CSI, or even a bunch of series on USA network).

However, when it is an issue, it's a PITA. Two examples: MSNBC's Countdown and Rachael M, as well as CNN's Farid Zakaria Global Public Square. All of these record multiple sessions throughout the same viewing day and the only solution (other than a boolean search) is to set manual recordings, which I have done.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#18 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:26 AM

Two questions

Yes you can make it recurring. One day a week or Mon thru Fri.

#19 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

hmmm.

Is Dtv lazy/incompetent?
Is Tribune lazy/incompetent?
Are the indvidual channels lazy/incompetent?

Or is this an evil plot by marketing people to make us watch the same show over and over again? :D

The individual channels often put in filler shows without complete data. Since the particular episode isn't specificed in their data, DirecTV errs on the side of recording it. I solve it fairly easily by not recording shows that have lots of bad guide data.

To me, bad guide data is just as irritating as stretch-o-vision ala Turner channels.

#20 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

I understand there can always be mistakes in the guide data. Even a channel provider might even not realize they are not providing accurate information. I would think they would fix it if they where notified. It just amazes me that this has been going on for quite some time and nobody fixes the issue. It would be so easy to fix but I guess someone just does not want to fix it. :(

I'm surprised that Dtv does not have enough clout to "help" to make sure the guide data is correct with the responsible party.

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

spam firewall