Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiple "First Runs" recording?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,438 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

I am sure that this has been discussed numerous times here but my searches have come up empty :( [...]

This topic comes up once or twice a year, and the bottom line is the networks who provide the data to TMS need to be contacted. They are the ones that are either originating sloppy info, or purposely not flagging old shows as repeats (or purposely flagging them as first-run) because it somehow translates to more viewers/ad dollars for them (my theory).

The last time I checked, less than 5% of the shows were visibly tagged first run or repeat.

One way to circumvent this issue would be for DirecTV to implement one of our long-standing Wish List requests:

Use "First Aired Date" (FAD) to calculate "First Run/Repeat" status, and only look for embedded "First Run" or "Repeat" flags when no FAD is present.

This would work in 99% of the cases where a FAD was present, and might only fail for Canadian or British imports, e.g. Depending on whether or not stations airing those "refresh" the FAD, folks who record those shows might have to continue to record episode type "both".

It's such a simple solution, the only reason I can think of DirecTV has not implemented it is because there may be something in their agreements with the various networks that forces them to honor whatever flags the networks send to TMS, even if they are incorrect. But that's just my theory, I have no factual knowledge of this.

As far as the Comedy Central shows, there are advanced search workarounds to reliably record both Stewart and Colbert, and other shows with similar guide data.

Edited by Steve, 14 July 2010 - 08:29 AM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:42 PM

I looked through my to do list and noticed American Pickers was set to record 6-7 times over the next 1 1/2 weeks or so. Now whether or not it will, I'm not sure.

the shows on the history channel that do this have generic discriptions and do not discribe the individual shows (no title no air date nothing). so it probably is the channels problem.

#43 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 469 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

the shows on the history channel that do this have generic discriptions and do not discribe the individual shows (no title no air date nothing). so it probably is the channels problem.

And it goes beyond just the guide data. A&E channels and Dicovery channels have been actually advertising shows as "all new" that are months-old reruns. Just flat-ass lying in their ads.

I have always thought that this issue went beyond just negligence, and this reinforces that feeling. I'm getting really really tired of having to babysit my to-do list and remove 10 shows a week, almost all from these two families of channels.

Keith

#44 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

I think that is only partially true. I set up iCarly to record for my daughter and set it to "only new episodes". Each episode whether new or rerun had the exact same generic description. Something like "Young girl and her friends set up a webshow". Also whether new or old it didnt indicate an original air date so the DVR thought every episode was new. Over the past couple of months I have seen more and more generic data popping up everywhere.

earlier, someone asked about the keyword recordings for Colbert and Stewart. This post contains the answer. In most cases, the improperly recorded show contains the generic description. So if you set the recording for Ttitle iCarly CChan xxx nnot webshow It should skip the recording of shows with generic guide data. It was the theory. But the keyword recordings started ignoring the first run tag a while back, so I stopped using them. I don't know if it has been fixed.

An interesting bug I have seen recently, which may be present in the keyword search. I have noticed if I set up a new series list for a show currently in reruns (say NCIS) it will record the first episode it finds, even though it is a repeat. But from there, it records only the new shows. That is a bug in the D* software.

Jump over tot he Tivo community forum, I bet you find this same thread. It is a guide problem that impacts all the dvr software. It could be handled better no doubt.

I recommend manual recordings.

If my post sounds angry, please re-read it with a smile.

#45 OFFLINE   mrfatboy

mrfatboy

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

An interesting bug I have seen recently, which may be present in the keyword search. I have noticed if I set up a new series list for a show currently in reruns (say NCIS) it will record the first episode it finds, even though it is a repeat. But from there, it records only the new shows. That is a bug in the D* software.

I noticed this bug also.
DirecTV since '99, Grandfathered DNS Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox | HR24-500 | HR23-700 | Unsupported MRV

My Network Setup

My Computer Setup

#46 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

I noticed this bug also.

It has always been that way. The DVR seems to use the first show as the "starter episode" for a series even if it is a repeat.

#47 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

History channel strikes again. Checked my todo list tonight and I had 54 items. Normaly I have around 20 to 25. So I look and find 20+/- Pawn Stars, 6+/- UFO Hunters, and 6+/- MonsterQuests. All with genric discriptions. Makes season passes lees useful.

#48 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:10 AM

I wouldn't pay any extra, it isn't a big deal to me. As long as my shows get recorded, I can deal with the other BS.

Even though I should not have to do it I would be willing to pay $1 extra a month for correct guide data.

Number of Directv subscribers = 18 million

18 million X $1 X 12 months = $216 million a year

That $216M a year to setup and run a dedicated directv guide data enforcement department. The sole purpose would be to make sure the guide data is absolutely correct. This would include employees that would actually enter the data, check for correctness and even have lobbyists for the channel providers to ensure correct guide data from the source.

Come on! How much would it really cost to have a bunch of these guys fixing the guide data? :hurah:

Posted Image

#49 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,438 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

I wouldn't pay any extra, it isn't a big deal to me. As long as my shows get recorded, I can deal with the other BS.

Ya. Aside from having to delete a few shows I may have already seen, the only real issue for me is when I'm running close to 100% disk space and an unwanted recording could bump my oldest unwatched show.

This is less of a problem now with MRV, since I now distribute my recordings across DVR's and can still watch them in any room. My drives don't fill up as fast. That said, it sure would be nice if DirecTV could simply "calculate" the "first run" status based on original air date and not rely on what the networks want us to believe.
/steve

#50 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

It's got to be guide data. I've been getting multiple recordings of Pawn Stars but none of my other SL's have this issue.

Maybe there's some way to start keeping track of Guide Data related SL issues. :shrug:

Mike

Are getting the actual multiple recordings or just looking at the TODO list and seeing they are GOING TO record? Right now I have about 12 Pawn Stars showing they will record (all reruns) but if you look at the program info you'll see why.

Previously, just before the recordings are due the guide data updates and it doesn't record. I'm waiting to see what happens with this next batch since you brought it up. I haven't had ANY incorrect recording for Pawn Stars so far. Same thing happens for my wife's Oprah, but they never record because guide data updates at the last minute.

#51 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

History channel strikes again. Checked my todo list tonight and I had 54 items. Normaly I have around 20 to 25. So I look and find 20+/- Pawn Stars, 6+/- UFO Hunters, and 6+/- MonsterQuests. All with genric discriptions. Makes season passes lees useful.

I have found that the "incorrect" guide data usually gets corrected at the last minute and they don't record.

#52 OFFLINE   daniellee

daniellee

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

My biggest frustration with recurring manual recordings is the lack of a "Keep At Most" option (also on the wish list). This is one of the two remaining features I miss from the DirecTIVO days (“suggestions” being the other one).
-Danny

AU9S Slimline Dish -> SWM-16
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR20-100, (1) HR21-100, (1) HR21-200, (1) HR21-700 (all DECA network with internet connection)
See my kitchen wall cabinet setup here

#53 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

I have found that the "incorrect" guide data usually gets corrected at the last minute and they don't record.

not all the time. i have come home to find a marathon having been recorded

spam firewall