Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Super simple drive cloner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before. I managed to get one of these from Amazon for $15 a while back, although $22 is not bad either. It will clone a SATA drive with no PC needed. I don't think it will resize things (i.e. smaller to larger) but will make an exact duplicate. I just tried it with one of my 1TB HR20 drives and it worked fine. Took about 4 hours though. One error in the poorly written documentation is that to turn on cloning, you press the button twice within 2 seconds, not press it for two seconds as the manual says. Took a while to figure that one out. Anyway, for someone needing to replace a drive on the way out and who doesn't want to mess with using a PC, this will do it. BTW, it clones left to right when the power cord is facing you. Something else the manual does not tell you.

http://www.smartieco...roducts_id=1518

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,024 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

... I don't think it will resize things (i.e. smaller to larger) but will make an exact duplicate....

So, it won't do a 500 GB to a 2 TB?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

So, it won't do a 500 GB to a 2 TB?

No, not for the clone function. It would do it, but only give you 500GB on the other drive. Mainly it just comes in handy for replacing drives of the same size. Just handy since you don't need a PC or anything. Just connect the two drives and press the button twice.

It does act as a USB to dual SATA converter too, so it can be used for other stuff too.

#4 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:56 AM

Very Interesting!!! I wonder if we should get in touch with "Smartie Computers" and ask about a slight modification to copy from one size drive to a larger size? Or perhaps there is some option that would allow this.
Thanks for this info Poppo!!!
Best Wishes Always!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

Protected By... spam firewall...And...