Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Legacy SD Receiver hookup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Holihan50

Holihan50

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

I am using an older Directv RCA DRD435 receiver in my travel trailer with a portable antenna... Will I notice any picture quality difference at all if I use the coax (rf) connection to the TV instead of the S-Video or Composite (R/W/Y) connection? In addition the TV's only Composite video connection is already in use so that pretty much rules out the S-Video..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

RF is always a lower quality picture than a direct line connection. That doesn't mean it will be unacceptable, though. It really will depend on the quality and condition of the tuner in the TV, something that isn't a consideration when you are using a line input.

#3 OFFLINE   eea123

eea123

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

I'll also offer that RF outs on my older boxes seems to be a weak link in my home setup. I currently have an RCA DRD515RB unit in the downstairs den that feeds two rooms, RCA and Digital Dolby audio for the stereo in the den and RF / coax to the TV in the master bedroom. The coax run is older RG-59 (I wired the home just before RG-6 hit big) and has had three different boxes' RF fail over the last 13 years. The units are still working via composite and S-video, but just won't output without snow on RF.

I'd guess the run is 30' and does have a wall plate. I used good quality wire and connectors back in '96. I've checked the run a number of times and swapping in a new box usually works for a few years.

Before someone asks who runs up and down the stairs to change channels, I also hard wired in a Niles IR system.

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

I am using an older Directv RCA DRD435 receiver in my travel trailer with a portable antenna... Will I notice any picture quality difference at all if I use the coax (rf) connection to the TV instead of the S-Video or Composite (R/W/Y) connection? In addition the TV's only Composite video connection is already in use so that pretty much rules out the S-Video..

Howdy and welcome to DBSTALK.COM! :welcome_s

I still have an RCA DRD450RGA (which is currently inactive) but I did observe that the picture quality was MUCH BETTER when using the S-VIDEO output. The composite output was very close in quality but slightly less sharp. The RF output was considerably poorer. I recommend you use S-VIDEO if your TV has such an input.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   eea123

eea123

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

Doesn't the RF output confirm to the NTSC standard of 240 lines versus 480 for S-Video? Hence the tuning to VHF channels 3 or 4.

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:26 AM

Doesn't the RF output confirm to the NTSC standard of 240 lines versus 480 for S-Video? Hence the tuning to VHF channels 3 or 4.

No, NTSC is 480 lines...

#7 OFFLINE   eea123

eea123

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 04:36 AM

No, NTSC is 480 lines...

Wow, VHS tapes were extremely crappy at 240 lines then.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Yes, yes they were.

#9 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Yes, the quality was not that great. But I have some from 1981 that still play just like they did when they were recorded. How many recordings of TV shows do you have that will last 29 years or more? (Or have compatible hardware to play them that is STILL AVAILABLE IN STORES??)

I get a kick out of watching an HBO movie from them occasionally...and then HBO signed off after around midnight local time. They had this clever video of a cartoon character putting out the cat and going to bed. At the end he pulls the shade down and that was it until the next day AROUND 4PM when it signed back on...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...