Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

esata swap to new HR24?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

Had to replace an HR24 and moved my esata drive to the new DVR. All my settings, to do list, and series manager was intact but drive showed 100
% free. My question is did it delete all the recordings (about80g) and use the whole drive or is that 80g in limbo and lost space? Since it only shows % and not GB how can you tell?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

You can't watch recordings on another DVR.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

You can't watch recordings on another DVR.

I know that, just want to make sure the new DVR is using the whole 100% of capacity and not just skipping over what was already recorded.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

I know that, just want to make sure the new DVR is using the whole 100% of capacity and not just skipping over what was already recorded.

Ahh ok...it might need reformatting, I'm not sure. :confused:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Hmmm. My understanding was that the shows would list, but not play.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

Had to replace an HR24 and moved my esata drive to the new DVR. All my settings, to do list, and series manager was intact but drive showed 100
% free. My question is did it delete all the recordings (about80g) and use the whole drive or is that 80g in limbo and lost space? Since it only shows % and not GB how can you tell?

Connect the eSATA drive to Linux PC and check by yourself - we can't do that remotely.

#7 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

One of the menu reset options is to reset everything.
That option should bring you back to a "clean" starting point.
If you are "feeling frisky", you can go the Linux route.
I did recently. You will need a "gracefully shut down" eSATA.
Linux is a free downloadable operating system.
You PC can become a dual boot system, into MS Vista or Ubuntu Linux.
There are many posts about copying one drive to another.
"Copy and replace internal hard drive" is pretty good.
Instead of doing the "xfsdump" step, you would need to do a ls -lat (directory command) to see what is stored on the drive.
I had similiar ideas to yours about the "old" recordings being on the new HD-DVR and "being "invisible" and therefore "taking up space".
I thought too that an "old" eSATA on a "new" HD-DVR would show the "old recordings" on the New Playlist, but they would not play.
Since nothing shows on your playlist, I'd guess that the eSATA has been reformatted, which could occur if "something" didn't look right to the new HD-DVR.
There are a lot of smart folks here (me EXcluded) who can help you through the "Linux Experience".
GOOD LUCK!!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#8 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to assume it was reformatted to use all disk space, appears to be anyway according to % used for what I have recorded now. Only concern is that if it reformatted then why are all my settings still there? Hopefully it just deleted the unplayable recordings.

#9 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Yes that occurred to me after I sent the earlier message.
Did you look at the various "flavors" of Menu - Reset?
What each does is explained.
If the system "sees" something "strange", it will reformat
just what it will reformat is unknown to me.
Would that include favorites etc, I don't know.
It would seem that a reformat would also remove your favorite channels etc.
"The Linux" route would tell you for sure.
It is a bit "tricky" the first time, and you have to know a bit of Linux.
After the mount command instead of doing the xfsdump bit do a
ls -lat /mnt/(whatever name you used as a mount point)
(The ls is a form of "directory command")
I have done three eSATAS and I find that the recording data
is in the mw_dat directory.
If the recordings exist the "ls -lat /mnt/(whatever)/mw_data"
will show size and creation date
plus permissions etc.
If you are "feeling frisky" the smart folks here will walk you through it.
If you have and "no so smart" questions, I will be glad to help you with that.
Linux guru sometimes need a translator.
Best Wishes!!
ed
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

#10 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

I think I will leave it as is. I'm Linux illiterate and it "appears" to be using the full capacity. Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

I think a Menu - Reset - All should bring you back to "ground zero" for sure.
You will lose your favorites and programming, but you will have a newly formatted disk.
Quite frankly I think you made a good choice "the Linux route" is
a mite tough!! I had to recall some Linux from 20 years ago and get A LOT
OF HELP from a LOT of PLACES before I could get it done. It took me about a week to get there.
I too had worried about old recordings being "invisible", but taking up space on the drive.
Best Wishes!!

PS Of course you could experiment and (1) record a few things of fixed length then note the free space. Then do the Menu - Reset - All. Then record (2) the same number and size as previously recorded. Then check free space.
Is the free space the same for (1) and (2)??
If the free space is the same, you were clean before.
If the free space goes up, then you were not clean before in (1).

PSS Probably the best course is to just let things be.
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

#12 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

I mounted a used eSATA to a new HD-DVR today. In my case the favorites were saved and the "old" recordings showed on my playlist. I knew they would not play, but I tried one just to see. DirecTV said "your card access has expired". Really I think it should say the card/receiver combination for this recording does not match the card/receiver combination for this HD-DVR.
I could delete the "old recordings" one by one using the playlist - delete.
This is what I had hoped to see. It is my understanding that if the new HD-DVR can read the old eSATA it will not reformat the drive. Based on what you have said, I believe that the HD-DVR could not read your eSATA and so it reformatted the drive's data part, but not the favorites or to do part.
I would think it would reformat everything, but since you maintained your favorites, I'm guessing it only reformats certain areas of the drive.
Best Wishes!!
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

I mounted a used eSATA to a new HD-DVR today. In my case the favorites were saved and the "old" recordings showed on my playlist. I knew they would not play, but I tried one just to see. DirecTV said "your card access has expired". Really I think it should say the card/receiver combination for this recording does not match the card/receiver combination for this HD-DVR.
I could delete the "old recordings" one by one using the playlist - delete.
This is what I had hoped to see. It is my understanding that if the new HD-DVR can read the old eSATA it will not reformat the drive. Based on what you have said, I believe that the HD-DVR could not read your eSATA and so it reformatted the drive's data part, but not the favorites or to do part.
I would think it would reformat everything, but since you maintained your favorites, I'm guessing it only reformats certain areas of the drive.
Best Wishes!!

If it's the case, system logs should be preserved and you can find info there what happened with the drive.

#14 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

If it's the case, system logs should be preserved and you can find info there what happened with the drive.

Can this be done through the menu or is it a linux function?

#15 OFFLINE   feeth

feeth

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

Got a new 24 yesterday to replace a 21-700 that would not work with the MRV system. I had an 1tb esata HD hooked up to the 21 and it always worked fine.

After setting up fav channels on the 24, I unplugged both it and the esata. Plugged in the esata and let it power up for 5 mins. Then plugged in the 24.

I was getting the not recog the drive error. I selected reboot on the screen and that did not help.

I unplugged the esata, then I did a full reset on the 24 via the menu. I unplugged the 24. Plugged in the esata, waited 5 mins for it to power up. Plugged the 24 back in and it still comes up with the drive error.

I'm clueless when it comes to linux, is there any other way to make this work?

I dont care about the old content on the drive. I just want it to work with the 24.

TIA!

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Can this be done through the menu or is it a linux function?

If you mean reading log messages, then only Linux PC will help do that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...