Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The LeBron Hour, Finally

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5359255

Looks like LeBron has made his choice, and will make everyone wait till Thursday night.

He has requested that ESPN give him a one-hour show, for this announcement.

While that does seem a bit over the top, at least he has requested that all the advertising dollars go to charity.

The best thing that will come out of this....
By Friday, all this NBA Free Agency noise should come to an end....

And we can start to focus on the start of NFL Football.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

What's really sad about this is ESPN giving into his demands.
I'm sorry but I had my way not a single reporter would show up at his little circus.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

I agree... except, they probably should have made this a summer reality show from the start. I mean, there have been worse ideas for a reality show!

Each week a different team "courts" LeBron... and then he starts giving them "challenges" to avoid elimination... and by the end of the summer the winning team gets LeBron.

I am being sarcastic... but strangely surprised no one thought of doing this!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,120 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

Mrs. Fluffybear has suggested that since Lebron is requesting all advertising dollars go directly to charity that ESPN should run nothing but commercials for that entire 60 minutes and use the crawl for his announcement.
Giving him a single minute of air time is only inflating his over-inflated fat head more.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

The circus is almost in town.

The NBA has truly hyped up this whole free agent thing to the point where its almost beyond all comprehension.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

Wow. I mean, I thought there were some prima donnas in baseball (I'm talking to you Alex Rodriguez) but - geez - talk about thinking that you're bigger than the game.

I guess this is just another reason I don't watch basketball. I mean, if LeBron is so good, how come the Celtics beat them? How many championships has he won? How many rings is he wearing? I mean, come on, Kobe Bryant has more 'claim to fame' but LeBron wants ONE HOUR???

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:03 AM

Wow. I mean, I thought there were some prima donnas in baseball (I'm talking to you Alex Rodriguez) but - geez - talk about thinking that you're bigger than the game.

I guess this is just another reason I don't watch basketball. I mean, if LeBron is so good, how come the Celtics beat them? How many championships has he won? How many rings is he wearing? I mean, come on, Kobe Bryant has more 'claim to fame' but LeBron wants ONE HOUR???

Yup....yup..and yup...

The money they are throwing these guys....and the mega-hype coming out of the NBA these days is beyond compare.

Funny thing is....most of these guys are staying with their original teams...so this mostly ends up being a salary (huge increase) negotiation ploy in the end.

With 80% of games decided in the last 2 minutes and insanely paid players...you are not alone in rejecting the NBA altogether.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

What a clown who's in love with himself.I wouldn't know him if I saw him in the street passing me.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

What the heck is a "lebron" anyway?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

I bear him no personal ill-will... but for someone who has won zero NBA championships, or even NBA finals games... he is getting a lot of press.

For as sick as we all get with Brett Favre and his retirement-or-not summers... at least Favre won a championship in his sport before he became a distraction.

Maybe LeBron will win a half dozen championships and all will be forgotten... but until he does something, I think people would be wiser to spend their money on other available talent that has achieved something OR other potential achievers who aren't trying to take over the system.

#11 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

I have never watched a game of basketball and I hate the fact that I know what you are discussing. Just ridiculous amounts of money. If anyone thinks at these rates of pay that any game in professional sports is not predetermined you are crazy. It is hush money, plain and simple. Just MHO.

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

I bear him no personal ill-will... but for someone who has won zero NBA championships, or even NBA finals games... he is getting a lot of press.

For as sick as we all get with Brett Favre and his retirement-or-not summers... at least Favre won a championship in his sport before he became a distraction.

Maybe LeBron will win a half dozen championships and all will be forgotten... but until he does something, I think people would be wiser to spend their money on other available talent that has achieved something OR other potential achievers who aren't trying to take over the system.

Just a quick note...He played in the 2007 Finals & got swept by the Spurs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Wasn't that some sort of Auto?:)

#14 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

I have never watched a game of basketball and I hate the fact that I know what you are discussing. Just ridiculous amounts of money. If anyone thinks at these rates of pay that any game in professional sports is not predetermined you are crazy. It is hush money, plain and simple. Just MHO.

You've obviously not watched sports to think all professional are predetermined. Do you realize how ridiculously impossible it would be to organize hundreds of thousands games in ALL pro sports & thousands of players to make certain events happen to get predetermined results? Then, have no one but just one desperate former referee come forward and call them out? :nono2:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

What the heck is a "n3ntj" anyway?

#16 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

You've obviously not watched sports to think all professional are predetermined. Do you realize how ridiculously impossible it would be to organize hundreds of thousands games in ALL pro sports & thousands of players to make certain events happen to get predetermined results? Then, have no one but just one desperate former referee come forward and call them out? :nono2:

One day, I will be vindicated by the truth, just wait.;)

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Now, I'm not much of a basketball guy, I prefer hockey. But in these kinds of sports, isn't more about the team? Michael Jordan obviously was one of the best players in history, but didn't he have a solid team to back him up? One player can't win a championship.

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Now, I'm not much of a basketball guy, I prefer hockey. But in these kinds of sports, isn't more about the team? Michael Jordan obviously was one of the best players in history, but didn't he have a solid team to back him up? One player can't win a championship.

Exactly...No great player won without another (or more) great player. Jordan/Pippen, Magic/Kareem, Bird/McHale, Russell/Havlicek, etc.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Just a quick note...He played in the 2007 Finals & got swept by the Spurs.

Yeah, that's why I was careful with the wording "...someone who has won zero NBA championships, or even NBA finals games."

He did make the finals, but didn't win a single game there... so the next time he wins even a single game in the NBA finals will be his first win.

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,847 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, that's why I was careful with the wording "...someone who has won zero NBA championships, or even NBA finals games."

He did make the finals, but didn't win a single game there... so the next time he wins even a single game in the NBA finals will be his first win.

I can't read sometimes. :lol:

spam firewall