Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The LeBron Hour, Finally

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,835 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

I'll be the second one to say...Lebron Who? ;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

My "problem" was in the method by which the decision was conveyed, and not the decision itself.

Truth be told... owners and teams will cut players or trade them at the drop of the hat, often without any notice at all... so I honestly don't feel sorry for the team or owner of the Cavaliers.

BUT... when a player has the chance to be above board and explore his earned opportunities and then he proves to be no different than ownership/management... that is just disappointing.

That's what gets on my nerves about these things... and to be fair, the media is every bit as much to blame as anyone in LeBron's camp. ESPN didn't have to do a 1 hr special... and all the media doesn't have to talk about this like it is the end (or beginning) of the world until a decision is actually ready to announce.

So I can't really blame LeBron for the road he took... but I had hoped for better from him. I didn't expect better, but hoped for it. But he isn't the first or the last to let me down in that manner.

I do feel sorry for fans... though not the ones who were lighting jerseys on fire. I understand disappointment and frustration, but adults need to stop turning over cars and setting fires to celebrate OR protest sporting "events" and announcements. It's sad.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

I can't wait to see him at his 1st game back in Cleveland next season.Saying that is an understatement I know ! I am not a basketball fan in any way,but I might tune in if it's on tv to see the crowd vent their anger on him !

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#44 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Mike Russo on XM had advice for Cleveland fans. Stay away.

The sight of a near-empty arena would say a LOT more than a chorus of boos.

#45 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,835 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

So would a semi full of ripe tomatos.... :D

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,934 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Just beat them ... on the floor. Trash talk and poor sportsmanship won't help Cleveland. Winning is the only answer.

#47 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

Yeah... except it would punish the Cleveland team more than it would punish LeBron.

A better reaction, in my opinion... would be to sellout the arena and neither cheer nor boo him. Booing him shows you care too... and if you ignore him, silence will speak louder.

#48 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,766 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

Wasn't that some sort of Auto?:)

I think you're confusing that with the LaSalle. :lol:

These guys get paid WAY too much money for what they do. While the rest of us are taking pay cuts, losing jobs, and struggling to get by, they just keep more and more money. :nono2:

#49 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,206 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

Yeah... except it would punish the Cleveland team more than it would punish LeBron.

A better reaction, in my opinion... would be to sellout the arena and neither cheer nor boo him. Booing him shows you care too... and if you ignore him, silence will speak louder.

Very true! All you do by booing him is feed his ego more.

Miami though should have put a clause in his contract which states any year in which Miami fails to make the playoff's, Lebron only gets the league minimum.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#50 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

While I agree that the hype and the "decision show" has been a bit overboard... That letter is probably the biggest bunch of garbage and poor sportsmanship I have ever read. This is absolutely ridiculous that that came from a majority owner. Lebron gave them 7 years. They didn't give him a supporting cast. You can't expect the guy to stay in Cleveland forever. He wants to win a championship and it obviously wasn't happening there. You can't fault the guy for wanting to go try and win somewhere else.

I tend to agree. I know it's heartbreaking to the Cleveland fans that he decided to leave but the fact is he did it to win. We always jump on athletes for being about the money. In this case, he left a LOT of money on the table in order to go somewhere he feels gives him the best opportunity to win.

Again, I understand the disappointment but that letter and some of the fans are simply displaying very poor sportsmanship. If the owner cared that much about winning a championship before, he should have provided Labron a supporting cast sufficient to win one -- not guarantee it after he leaves.
Links: My System Diagram | System Pix
Yamaha RX-A2010, Samsung UN55B8000, AppleTV, Roku3, Yamaha CDC-685, Oppo BDP-93
Klipsch: (2) RF-83's, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54's, (2) RSX-5's
SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
See links above for additional system details.

#51 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

I think you're confusing that with the LaSalle. :lol:

These guys get paid WAY too much money for what they do. While the rest of us are taking pay cuts, losing jobs, and struggling to get by, they just keep more and more money. :nono2:

Do you mean the DeSoto? :)
While I agree that the player are overpaid, nobody is putting a gun to the owners head and forcing them to paid. I don't for a minute believe that the league is losing 400 millions a year like I heard someplace.

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

The overpaying thing has been talked about this week too...

Several owners (Hawks signing Joe Johnson for a max deal comes to mind) probably overpaid for their "talent" this year... and you know those same owners will be complaining next year for the new collective bargaining agreement that they are overpaying.

I'm not arguing collusion by any means... but if owners don't want to overpay, then they shouldn't overpay.

That said... I do believe that fans pay to see the athletes, so IF ticket sales are strong for a team and ad revenues/merchandising are high for that team... I do think the athletes on that team should be paid a large share of that profit pie.

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,835 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

The overpaying thing has been talked about this week too...

Several owners (Hawks signing Joe Johnson for a max deal comes to mind) probably overpaid for their "talent" this year... and you know those same owners will be complaining next year for the new collective bargaining agreement that they are overpaying.

I'm not arguing collusion by any means... but if owners don't want to overpay, then they shouldn't overpay.

That said... I do believe that fans pay to see the athletes, so IF ticket sales are strong for a team and ad revenues/merchandising are high for that team... I do think the athletes on that team should be paid a large share of that profit pie.

I wonder if 2-3 years from now....if the NBA sees significantly shrinking ticket and other revenues...if we all look back at this year's free agent frenzy as the beginning of the end...

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,934 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

I wonder if 2-3 years from now....if the NBA sees significantly shrinking ticket and other revenues...if we all look back at this year's free agent frenzy as the beginning of the end...

Naw ... they will blame something else. The economy seems to be a fair target to blame any business failure on ... regardless of if the real reason is poor management of the business.

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Naw ... they will blame something else. The economy seems to be a fair target to blame any business failure on ... regardless of if the real reason is poor management of the business.

Yep... there are some unfortunate casualties of the economy (like small businesses and a lot of laid-off people)... but many of the bigger companies did this to themselves.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...