Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting H24 for MRV

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

Through an error with CSR with the original MRV setup, they sent me a D12 receiver instead of an MRV capable receiver (non dvr). I spoke with CSR on Friday to get the proper receiver and the H24-100 came yesterday.

The D12 had a deca, 3-way splitter and band stop filter. The router was connected to that deca. After trying a couple of different connections, the H24 can only see the HR24. The 3 DVRs (HR 20-700 and 100, HR24-500) can see each other but now have no internet connection.

What is needed to get a fully functional MRV setup connected with all my equipment with internet?

Equipment: Hr 20-100 hr 20-700 hr 24-500 h24-100 linksys wireless router

Thanks

HR-44-700 (3) C41-500 HR 24-100 GenieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

Through an error with CSR with the original MRV setup, they sent me a D12 receiver instead of an MRV capable receiver (non dvr). I spoke with CSR on Friday to get the proper receiver and the H24-100 came yesterday.

The D12 had a deca, 3-way splitter and band stop filter. The router was connected to that deca. After trying a couple of different connections, the H24 can only see the HR24. The 3 DVRs (HR 20-700 and 100, HR24-500) can see each other but now have no internet connection.

What is needed to get a fully functional MRV setup connected with all my equipment with internet?

Equipment: Hr 20-100 hr 20-700 hr 24-500 h24-100 linksys wireless router

Thanks

:confused: This part is :confused:
What you should have "here" is a 2-way splitter, with one leg feeding the H24, and the DECA fed off the other leg. This DECA needs to have a PI to power it. Also there shouldn't be a bandstop filter here anymore.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

:confused: This part is :confused:
What you should have "here" is a 2-way splitter, with one leg feeding the H24, and the DECA fed off the other leg. This DECA needs to have a PI to power it. Also there shouldn't be a bandstop filter here anymore.

I misquoted myself, I do have a 2-way splitter. When I get home I'll try what you said but I think the problem was the band stop filter. I should have probably just removed it.

Thanks VOS.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

I misquoted myself, I do have a 2-way splitter. When I get home I'll try what you said but I think the problem was the band stop filter. I should have probably just removed it.

Thanks VOS.

Using a bandstop filter blocks the DECA, so these are to be used where you want to do that, like for the D12.
I still wonder a bit about your setup at this location, because you seem to have two issues: no internet and sharing of playlist.
The filter would have to be between the splitter and the rest of your receivers to do this.
Does the DECA have a power inserter and have three green LEDs?
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Using a bandstop filter blocks the DECA, so these are to be used where you want to do that, like for the D12.
I still wonder a bit about your setup at this location, because you seem to have two issues: no internet and sharing of playlist.
The filter would have to be between the splitter and the rest of your receivers to do this.
Does the DECA have a power inserter and have three green LEDs?

It did but I disassembled it all. I will reconnect and try it without the BSF. My first mistake was calling CSR. :(

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

It did but I disassembled it all. I will reconnect and try it without the BSF. My first mistake was calling CSR. :(

Since I still don't have a clear image of what was done, or for that matter how it is now, set it back up and see what you get. If you still have problems, either take some photos or please put together a drawing of everything, so I can start with a baseline to "see" what you have.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Since I still don't have a clear image of what was done, or for that matter how it is now, set it back up and see what you get. If you still have problems, either take some photos or please put together a drawing of everything, so I can start with a baseline to "see" what you have.

Ok, I have it connected and the h24 shows the sharing on the other 3 dvrs. However, I did a test on all receivers and only the hr24 and h24 get the following error messages: The [router] receiver has a reduced network performance. 48-72-865 on the h24 and 48-72-070 on hr24. One of the error messages is no phone line connected.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Ok, I have it connected and the h24 shows the sharing on the other 3 dvrs. However, I did a test on all receivers and only the hr24 and h24 get the following error messages: The [router] receiver has a reduced network performance. 48-72-865 on the h24 and 48-72-070 on hr24. One of the error messages is no phone line connected.

Posted Image

So now you have them "working", but the bit-rate is below 215.
Hope your splitters look like these:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1275576411

If they don't then they need to be changed for the ones with the green label.
If they are the green label, then "we" [you] need to look at your cabling & connections.
You can run a test from the 24s, by pressing the guide & > buttons on the front panel [these can take a few times before the menu shows]. You will see the blue screen and coax network. Select this and it will test the power levels. There is a second test PHY levels, which will show a matrix of bit-rates between each node [DECA].
Posting these two screens [or the info] will help to narrow down the legs to look at to improve the bit-rates.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

So now you have them "working", but the bit-rate is below 215.
Hope your splitters look like these:

If they don't then they need to be changed for the ones with the green label.
If they are the green label, then "we" [you] need to look at your cabling & connections.
You can run a test from the 24s, by pressing the guide & > buttons on the front panel [these can take a few times before the menu shows]. You will see the blue screen and coax network. Select this and it will test the power levels. There is a second test PHY levels, which will show a matrix of bit-rates between each node [DECA].
Posting these two screens [or the info] will help to narrow down the legs to look at to improve the bit-rates.

Yea, the two way is green from DTV.

Here is the coax network from the h24 located in the office:

Network tuner 100% Tuner 1 99%

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

HR 24 in bedrm2:

tuner 1 96% tuner 2 97% Network tuner 99%

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

Now it's time to look at the cabling.
In the two posts above, on the matrix screens, those that are below 215 are the ones causing the error in the system test.
You might be able to improve these if you connect the bandstop filter on the input of the first splitter, which I'd guess is either a 4-way or an 8-way. If it's an 8-way, make sure all unused ports have terminations on them.

The major issue looks to be the DECA signal going up the cable and then coming back to the same DECA. Using a bandstop filter on the first splitter should improve this.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Now it's time to look at the cabling.
In the two posts above, on the matrix screens, those that are below 215 are the ones causing the error in the system test.
You might be able to improve these if you connect the bandstop filter on the input of the first splitter, which I'd guess is either a 4-way or an 8-way. If it's an 8-way, make sure all unused ports have terminations on them.

The major issue looks to be the DECA signal going up the cable and then coming back to the same DECA. Using a bandstop filter on the first splitter should improve this.

I ran the band stop filter through the input of 4-way splitter and I received no signal at all. I made sure the coax was in tightly. I went back to the old hook up and the h24 and hr24 only reported no phone line.

So maybe the problem was the installer didn't have a good connection into the 4-way splitter?

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

I ran the band stop filter through the input of 4-way splitter and I received no signal at all. I made sure the coax was in tightly. I went back to the old hook up and the h24 and hr24 only reported no phone line.

So maybe the problem was the installer didn't have a good connection into the 4-way splitter?

The bandstop doesn't block the SAT signals, but loose cables/connections sure could have been the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

I've ran setup a few times and sometimes I get the reduced network performance and sometimes I don't. Now it says The [Directv Mediashare renderer] [Router-mac address] receivers have reduced network performace.... Before it just said router. Now it points to the DECA attached on the 2-way to the h24 or to the DECA on the hr20-700.

#15 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:33 PM

So did you remove the BSF altogether? I was told BSF wasn't needed if the splitter had the green label and everything was DECA compatible. You are using SWim on an approved MRV setup, right?

The SWiM lnb should also have the green label.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

I've ran setup a few times and sometimes I get the reduced network performance and sometimes I don't. Now it says The [Directv Mediashare renderer] [Router-mac address] receivers have reduced network performace.... Before it just said router. Now it points to the DECA attached on the 2-way to the h24 or to the DECA on the hr20-700.

So did you remove the BSF altogether? I was told BSF wasn't needed if the splitter had the green label and everything was DECA compatible. You are using SWim on an approved MRV setup, right?

The SWiM lnb should also have the green label.

The bandstop filter is for any receiver that doesn't have a DECA and any SWiM that doesn't have the filter internal [marked by a green sticker/label].

As for failing and what looked from the screen shots as the signal from a DECA back to itself, this can be improved with a bandstop filter on the first splitter. This path has the DECA send the signal out the coax and return down the same coax. By using a filter on the first splitter [going to the SWiM], you remove the coax from the splitter to the SWiM and shorten the path.
From others with this problem, they have had all the connectors in wall plates replaced and this resolved it. This would tend to show any poor connector can cause leakage and since DECA is in the OTA band, it [noise] may be leaking in not out.
I'd check that all connectors are "snug".
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hey VOS,

That's a very good summation. Thanks for the clarification on that.

#18 OFFLINE   hookemfins

hookemfins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Maybe I didn't have a good enough connection when I attempted to install the bsf yesterday. When I attempted yesterday no signal was getting to the receivers. I'm going to get a taller ladder to make sure we have a good connection.

Armchair, everything "should" be on the up and up as it was installed by DTV.

#19 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

I think it's great that VOS has figured this out and offers support on the test feature and troubleshooting.

But since this is a supported install, I think Directv should send the tech out to fix at their expense.

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

I think it's great that VOS has figured this out and offers support on the test feature and troubleshooting.

But since this is a supported install, I think Directv should send the tech out to fix at their expense.

While they "should", I'd also guess they're had very little training for this. Installing is one thing, but troubleshooting the system at this level, isn't something they've been given.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall