Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A Friend's Whole-Home DVR Experience

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

A friend got a new house and decided to go with DirecTV again. After seeing my MRV setup he wanted that as well. To make sure everything was installed/set up correctly, he had me come over yesterday.

The first thing I had to fix (not directly DirecTV related) was an Internet issue; he was only getting 1.6 Mb of the 7 Mb he was paying for. It turned out to be a router issue; switching from the stock firmware to "Tomato" fixed it. I also spent quite a bit of time getting his fiancee's laptop connected via wireless; it turned out to be a driver issue.

The DirecTV appointment was for 8-12; installers finally arrived at 4, and they brought an HR22 and four H24s. My friend kept saying while we were waiting, "Comcast is looking pretty good right now." The installers had to leave a few hours later for about 45 minutes to obtain a missing part.

At around 8 p.m., one of the installers asked where my friend's phone jack was. My friend showed him, but said he didn't want the DVR connected to it. The installer replied that it should be left connected 30 days. :eek2: The installer finally called DirecTV and got it activated (with no phone line, of course), along with the H24s.

I asked the other installer why he didn't force a software update prior to fully booting the HR22; he replied, "they ship them ready for MRV." After the HR22 booted up, he noticed the option for MRV was missing... duh! Of course, he had to reboot and "0 2 4 6 8" in order for it to appear.

And for the best part: the broadband DECA. It wasn't on the work order (no big surprise), but the installers had an extra, so they made sure a coax was connected near my friend's router so it would work. At the end of the installation, I noticed there still wasn't a power adapter connected to it. I asked one of the installers about it, and he said it was connected to the receiver closest to the dish. I actually had to show him a picture of the correct power adapter, and he finally figured it out. The other installer said he would have to bring one tomorrow, and by this point my friend was looking homicidal. I just happened to remember that he had DirecTV at his old house and asked him if he still had one of his old receivers. He replied in the affirmative and went to his garage and grabbed one. We ended up connecting the broadband DECA to that temporarily (for power) just so *everything* was working before he signed the work order. :lol: I noticed after connecting it that the DECA was blinking yellow; I asked if it had been actually connected at the other end... they installers replied in the affirmative, but a quick check by my friend revealed that it hadn't, and he had to crawl under his desk to connect it to the wall plate. After that, everything worked. Hopefully, the installer will actually bring the power adapter today.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Forcing a software download DOES NOT enable MRV.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:57 AM

Forcing a software download DOES NOT enable MRV.

Right, but the unit was shipped with an old version of the software that didn't include that option.
HR21-700 | HR23-700 (2) | H24-700
DECA MRV setup, including one module connected to a WAP/switch (for PS3 and Xbox 360) and another connected directly to a Slingbox

Protected By... spam firewall...And...