Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Options for networking 2 HR24s?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mockenrue

Mockenrue

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I have 2 HR24s coming in next week, and I'm trying to understand what my networking options are. I have two rooms/TVs:

Family room (already has Ethernet connected to my outgoing HR20-700 and phone line)
Basement (no Ethernet or phone line to my outgoing HR10-200).

So here are my questions:

1. If I have Ethernet to the FR box, can it network to the basement using the built-in DECA? Is it seamless, or would I need additional equipment?

2. If I had Ethernet in the basement too, could the HR24s talk to each-other without DECA?

3. In a "two DVR" scenario, could I access either hard drive/play list from either room?

4. Can I do the networking hookup myself, or does an installer need to come?

The DirecTV CSR told me that I could network right away if I had Ethernet in both rooms, but would need an installer/extra equipment if I wanted to use DECA. Not sure if that's right, so I wanted to check here.

One last question:

5. As long as I have Internet connectivity, I don't need phone line, correct? I'll still keep the upstairs one for caller ID, but I just don't want to put up with the nag screen in the basement like I did on my old HR10.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:17 PM

:welcome_s

I would recommend you start here...by reading the contents in this threads. There is great information here on both the recommended networking method (SWiM and DECA), as well as traditional Ethernet network connections for Whole Home DVR Service (formerly MRV).

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=178068

http://www.dbstalk.c...hlight=Ethernet
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,621 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:20 PM

I have 2 HR24s coming in next week, and I'm trying to understand what my networking options are. I have two rooms/TVs:

Family room (already has Ethernet connected to my outgoing HR20-700 and phone line)
Basement (no Ethernet or phone line to my outgoing HR10-200).

So here are my questions:

1. If I have Ethernet to the FR box, can it network to the basement using the built-in DECA? Is it seamless, or would I need additional equipment?

2. If I had Ethernet in the basement too, could the HR24s talk to each-other without DECA?

3. In a "two DVR" scenario, could I access either hard drive/play list from either room?

4. Can I do the networking hookup myself, or does an installer need to come?

The DirecTV CSR told me that I could network right away if I had Ethernet in both rooms, but would need an installer/extra equipment if I wanted to use DECA. Not sure if that's right, so I wanted to check here.

One last question:

5. As long as I have Internet connectivity, I don't need phone line, correct? I'll still keep the upstairs one for caller ID, but I just don't want to put up with the nag screen in the basement like I did on my old HR10.

1) Supported Whole home includes DECA for each DVR / Receiver and then an Internet Connection Kit (DECA adapter) for an ethernet connection to your network.

2) Yes, you need to call to get MRV -Whole Home 'unsupported' if you use your own network.

3) Yes

4) You can do it yourself - the ethernet part.

5) No phone line is necessary.

If they're coming to install, I'd call back and be sure to get an Internet Connection Kit.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   Mockenrue

Mockenrue

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the replies and links. They aren't coming to install... I was just going to swap out the boxes myself. However, the CSR did say that I'd need extra equipment for DECA (probably referring to the Internet Connection Kit). I'll probably get the boxes up and running, then call back to request the Whole Home Service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...