Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 HDMI handshake problems

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cajunrc

cajunrc

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

I have had handshake problems since I replaced an HR-20 with the HR24. When I turn on the TV (42" Panny plasma) I don't get a picture until I turn the TV off and on once or twice. I am going thru my AV receiver and do not have any problem with the DVD player. Any idea's what can this be?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have had handshake problems since I replaced an HR-20 with the HR24. When I turn on the TV (42" Panny plasma) I don't get a picture until I turn the TV off and on once or twice. I am going thru my AV receiver and do not have any problem with the DVD player. Any idea's what can this be?

Yes...A HDMI handshake problem.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

I have a handshake problem as well, when switching from my HR22 to the HR24. Often, it can be fixed by changing to a channel with different resolution. I have my DVR set to native on. If you have native off, you can probably just cycle through the formats until you force a resolution change.

Occasionally that doesn't work and I turn the AV receiver off and then back on. That seems to force a re-handshake.

(Those steps take less time than turning the TV off/on.)
DogLover

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Here you go....problem solved. :D

Posted Image
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 613 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I have posted a number of times and sent a number of reports about problems with HDMI and my Sony system. It makes the Sony automatic HDMI functions not work by just having the HR24 HDMI connected to my amp. There is a serious HDMI problem with did not exist with my HR 20 or HR21.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

First, let me say I am talking completely out of my hat. I may be full of crap here. I'm guessing, but...

...my guess is that this is still an HDMI problem and not DirecTV's fault. We don't know the design requirements of the HR24, but it is probably HDMI 1.4, which supports 3D. Earl has said multiple times that the HR20 was HDMI 1.0. Given its manufacturer date, the HR21 would be HDMI 1.2 or maybe 1.3 at the best. I want to say Earl also said the HR21 was HDMI 1.0 but I can't remember for sure. Who knows what your Sony is. Now, supposedly all of these HDMI systems are fully backwards compatible and it's a wonderful world, but maybe that's not the case. Your experience tends to back that up, along with the other posts in this thread. HDMI is a really poor standard. As texasbrit said yesterday:

I will be glad when we see the last of HDMI. Poor standard, badly implemented, poorly controlled.

I bet DirecTV will be able to implement a tweak in the HDMI protocols to ameliorate this problem with future software downloads but for now, STEVEN-H, you're screwed. Sorry. HDMI sucks.

(Note to self: used "ameliorate" properly here in July. Can check off until August.)

Edited by Carl Spock, 07 July 2010 - 10:02 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   jgrade

jgrade

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

HDMI sucks; that's putting it mildly. I have given up on HDMI and gone back to component with my Sammy. Between the green screens and mode not supported, I spend more time fixing HDMI problems than I do watching the TV. After three different controller boards with new firmware, two different AV receivers, multiple cables and a HR20 and HR21 the HDMI issues continue. I know most of the blame is on the Sammy but still, HDMI is the worst ever.

cajunrc: Don't think about this too much. As we have all said HDMI is the problem not the equipment. My only suggestion is to see if there is a firmware update for your TV. I updated a 32" Bravia I use for my computer monitor and it worked wonders. Handshake nightmares before the update.
A flute without holes, is not a flute. A doughnut without a hole, is a danish.

Samsung HL-S7478W
DirecTV HR20-700
Sony STR-DA3300ES

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

HDMI sucks; that's putting it mildly. I have given up on HDMI and gone back to component with my Sammy. Between the green screens and mode not supported, I spend more time fixing HDMI problems than I do watching the TV. After three different controller boards with new firmware, two different AV receivers, multiple cables and a HR20 and HR21 the HDMI issues continue. I know most of the blame is on the Sammy but still, HDMI is the worst ever.

cajunrc: Don't think about this too much. As we have all said HDMI is the problem not the equipment. My only suggestion is to see if there is a firmware update for your TV. I updated a 32" Bravia I use for my computer monitor and it worked wonders. Handshake nightmares before the update.

Here's a link that might give you hope. Looks as if implementation might begin this year.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have posted a number of times and sent a number of reports about problems with HDMI and my Sony system. It makes the Sony automatic HDMI functions not work by just having the HR24 HDMI connected to my amp. There is a serious HDMI problem with did not exist with my HR 20 or HR21.

Sony products and HDMI just don't seem to get along well. I had major problems back in the winter of '06 with two Sony TVs that wouldn't work with HDMI and the HRs. Spent a lot of money on those two Sonys and traded one to a contractor for work done and gave the other one away.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

I don't have an HR24 so can't say definitively but this might be as easy as switching cables. I fixed an issue with a newer Mits LCD and HR22 about 6 months ago by switching out an HDMI cable that was not rated 1.3. If the HR24 is 1.4, I don't know if this idea would help you.

Good luck.
- HR22-100 & HR20-100 to: Mitsubishi 52244 LCD and 52249 LCD shared w/ HDMI splitters
- H21-100 (2) to: Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD (HDMI), Sony KDL46W3000 LCD (HDMI)
- HR20-700 to: Mitsubishi HD 60" Rear-Projection (component)
- 3LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB616 and WB68
- Gefen 2-way HDMI 1.3 splitters on HR20-100 and HR22-100
- Yamaha RX-V2065/V800/V2090/V1070, YSP800
- Thunder provided by M&K, Def Tech subs

#11 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Here's a link that might give you hope. Looks as if implementation might begin this year.

Does it provide some sort of sych between its digital video and digital audio? IF so sign me up.

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

My mother has a Samsung LCD TV and Comcast Cable.
Quite often the TV and Cable Box do not talk to each other.
She has learned over these past few months to go into the setup on her tv by pressing the Source button and then choosing the HDMI connection.

This might work for you also.

I suggested to her that one of the local children there hook her up with the Red, Green, Blue cable ( I always forget whether it is component or composite ) to see if that loses connection also. They have not done that yet since it only takes her a few second to re-choose the HDMI connection.
I would do it if I lived close but alas I am over 1,000 miles from her.

Good luck.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

Here is a link if you want to read about the different designations of the HDMI cables.

http://www.bluejeans...ec-versions.htm

Ethernet Channel
Specification version 1.4 introduced the new optional "Ethernet and Audio Return Channel." Unlike prior changes to the features and protocols supported by the spec, this change actually requires some alteration to the HDMI cable design. The connectors remain the same, and the pins still map as they did before, but two conductors have been given new additional tasks to perform, and because the bitrate to run through these conductors is rather high, the specification requires that they be run as a 100-ohm twisted pair. Prior cable designs did not run these conductors as a twisted pair, and so the impedance of the pair in a non-Ethernet cable could be almost anything, most likely unsuited for high-speed data.

It is important to remember that the Ethernet and Audio Return Channel is an optional HDMI cable feature. In other words, a cable which was compliant under any prior spec version continues to be compliant under HDMI 1.4 -- it is simply classified as a cable without Ethernet -- and new cables can continue to be certified compliant under HDMI 1.4 and its accompanying Compliance Testing Specification, again as non-Ethernet-capable cables. The version number of the certification does not in itself say anything about the cable's capabilities.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

Does it provide some sort of sych between its digital video and digital audio? IF so sign me up.

I dunno. I just read the article and passed it on. Anyone who reads it knows as much as I do. Seems like a good thing, tho. :)

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

I dunno. I just read the article and passed it on. Anyone who reads it knows as much as I do. Seems like a good thing, tho. :)

Rich

Alot of this is surrounding the needs to support 3D...but yes...it should reduce sync issues...

Then again...now there's HDMI v1.4a... :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Make it stop daddy... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Alot of this is surrounding the needs to support 3D...but yes...it should reduce sync issues...

Then again...now there's HDMI v1.4a... :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Make it stop daddy... :D

It's becoming almost unbearable to deal with all the technology and it doesn't look like it's gonna stop. In fact, I think we gotta face it, it's just not gonna stop. And my head's gonna explode! :)

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

It's becoming almost unbearable to deal with all the technology and it doesn't look like it's gonna stop. In fact, I think we gotta face it, it's just not gonna stop. And my head's gonna explode! :)

Rich

Change is Good.
Technology is Awesome.
If it wasn't we would still be watching the old analog signals off the huge antennas in black and white maybe. LOL
Then again, we would not be spending any money on TV programming.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

Change is Good.
Technology is Awesome.
If it wasn't we would still be watching the old analog signals off the huge antennas in black and white maybe. LOL
Then again, we would not be spending any money on TV programming.

The point I was trying to make is that the technology is coming so fast that it's almost impossible to keep up with it. Rain is great too, keeps the plants growing, the lawns green and the reservoirs filled up. But, let it rain in torrents for forty days and forty nights and, well, you know. :)

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

The point I was trying to make is that the technology is coming so fast that it's almost impossible to keep up with it. Rain is great too, keeps the plants growing, the lawns green and the reservoirs filled up. But, let it rain in torrents for forty days and forty nights and, well, you know. :)

Rich

LOL

#20 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 613 posts
  • Location40241

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

My Sony System works just fine with HR20 and HR21 DVR's that have been updated for 3D. There is a problem with the HDMI implementation in the HR24 and it can and should be fixed by Direct TV. The problem did exist in the previous HR's until it was fixed in those. So let's not get to far adrift from the HR24 HDMI Handshake problem.
HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

spam firewall