Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 HDMI handshake problems

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

I am confident the HDMI problems will be corrected soon. I have a HR22-100 hooked to a Sony TV that had many issues in the past and it has none now. I also have a HR22-100 hooked to a different Sony tv with no problems but I do have a HR24-100 hooked to that same Sony and have HDMI issues. They have had problems in the past and have fixed them, I have no reason to believe they won't be able to fix the new problems.

I get the feeling that HDMI is more of a suggestion than a specification.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

I am confident the HDMI problems will be corrected soon. I have a HR22-100 hooked to a Sony TV that had many issues in the past and it has none now. I also have a HR22-100 hooked to a different Sony tv with no problems but I do have a HR24-100 hooked to that same Sony and have HDMI issues. They have had problems in the past and have fixed them, I have no reason to believe they won't be able to fix the new problems.

I get the feeling that HDMI is more of a suggestion than a specification.

Unfortunately for 2 years my HR20 and Toshiba Plasma have never hand shook properly and routinely wind up with a screen full of 8-bit looking text characters 2-3inches tall overlaid on top of the picture. Just tried it again last week. I expect HDMI to never work between these two, however the Sony BluRay player and the Sony DVD player prior to it have never had HDMI problems with this television.

#23 OFFLINE   dvdguru

dvdguru

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

Many times you can correct this by changing the order of how you turn everything on. For example, if you have a universal remote that runs a macro to turn on the tv, receiver and directv receiver keep trying a different order for the turn-on process. Try receiver, then tv, then box. Then try tv, then receiver, then box, etc. This method is not able to fix it all the time but more often that not it is. It all depends on your receiver and tv.

I think my turn-on macro for my universal remote is: Turn on receiver, pause the macro for 1 second, then turn on tv then the directv receiver. I have the pause in there to make sure the receiver is ready to receive an input signal, etc. If you play around with these methods it will usually work after experimenting for awhile.

#24 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

I have a Sony HDTV, a Sony AV receiver, all hooked up HDMI to my HR24. Zero problems, nada, zilch. Can't explain why others are having problems and I am not.

#25 OFFLINE   penmaster

penmaster

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

We had the same problem - audio and video cutting out - the HR24 having trouble handshaking with the receiver. We have a Denon AVR-1910 receiver and a Mitsubishi WD-73837 73-Inch TV. This is our solution:

1. First we changed the power-up sequence for the remote control. We made sure to turn on the HR24 before turning on the receiver. We even added a 1 second delay after turning on the HR24. That fixed the problem about half of the time, but it was still doing it, although not as much. It seems that the DVR has to be on first so when the receiver comes on, it needs to detect it right away or it goes bananas.

2. We were using HDMI 1.3 cables. We bought an HDMI 1.4 cable and replaced the cable from the HR24 to the receiver. That solved the problem completely. No more cutting out and it comes up fast all the time. We think it is a bandwidth problem. If you give the connection more bandwidth then it will handshake, no problem. We think it has to do with the newer equipment requiring more bandwidth.

I hope this helps.

BTW the HDMI 1.4 cable I used was very inexpensive ($8.99). It got very good reviews at Amazon.com: Menotek Gold Plated 10FT HDMI 1.4 Cable (http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0030HS50M)

Edited by penmaster, 22 July 2010 - 01:00 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

Every time my HDMI shakes hands, it reaches for the hand sanitizer.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#27 OFFLINE   Dominator

Dominator

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

I have posted a number of times and sent a number of reports about problems with HDMI and my Sony system. It makes the Sony automatic HDMI functions not work by just having the HR24 HDMI connected to my amp. There is a serious HDMI problem with did not exist with my HR 20 or HR21.

I have a similar setup to Steven-H. Downstairs, I have a Sony STR-DG920 amplifier, Sony KDF-55WF655, and an HR24/100. I just had DTV installed for the first time a few weeks ago. I was having no problems watching live TV downstairs or watching anything live or recorded on my upstairs Panasonic Plasma with my second HR24/100 which doesn't have any kind of audio A/V receiver connected to it (and even no problems watching shows upstairs that were recorded on downstairs DVR). During playback of most recordings downstairs, if I paused or fast forwarded, or apparently breathed the wrong way, I would lose audio. And the DVR wasn't responding to fast forward / rewind commands from my remote very well either. After a red button reset, things would work fine, the audio would come back, until I tried to play a recording from the DVR. After reading on this site about the HDMI problems with the HR24 boxes being related to Dolby Digital decoding during playback of recordings, I turned off Dolby Digital on the HR 24 for a brief experiment. DVR playback was much smoother but the audio quality with analog audio was not acceptable. So I disconnected my HDMI cable from my HR 24 to my Sony amp and connected instead with component video cables and a digital coax audio cable. So at least for a day or so, no problems, I get my Dolby Digital audio, and no red button resets required. I don't see a difference in picture quality between HDMI and Component. Hopefully DTV will update the HR24 software to eliminate this bug, but until then, I'll stick with component video and digital audio over coax. Thought this suggestion might help people having the same problems as me.

#28 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

[...] So I disconnected my HDMI cable from my HR 24 to my Sony amp and connected instead with component video cables and a digital coax audio cable. So at least for a day or so, no problems, I get my Dolby Digital audio, and no red button resets required. I don't see a difference in picture quality between HDMI and Component. Hopefully DTV will update the HR24 software to eliminate this bug, but until then, I'll stick with component video and digital audio over coax. Thought this suggestion might help people having the same problems as me.

:welcome_s

This workaround has worked very well for others. I don't think it will be too long before the HDMI issue you describe is fixed.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#29 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

I have a similar setup to Steven-H. Downstairs, I have a Sony STR-DG920 amplifier, Sony KDF-55WF655, and an HR24/100. I just had DTV installed for the first time a few weeks ago. I was having no problems watching live TV downstairs or watching anything live or recorded on my upstairs Panasonic Plasma with my second HR24/100 which doesn't have any kind of audio A/V receiver connected to it (and even no problems watching shows upstairs that were recorded on downstairs DVR). During playback of most recordings downstairs, if I paused or fast forwarded, or apparently breathed the wrong way, I would lose audio. And the DVR wasn't responding to fast forward / rewind commands from my remote very well either. After a red button reset, things would work fine, the audio would come back, until I tried to play a recording from the DVR. After reading on this site about the HDMI problems with the HR24 boxes being related to Dolby Digital decoding during playback of recordings, I turned off Dolby Digital on the HR 24 for a brief experiment. DVR playback was much smoother but the audio quality with analog audio was not acceptable. So I disconnected my HDMI cable from my HR 24 to my Sony amp and connected instead with component video cables and a digital coax audio cable. So at least for a day or so, no problems, I get my Dolby Digital audio, and no red button resets required. I don't see a difference in picture quality between HDMI and Component. Hopefully DTV will update the HR24 software to eliminate this bug, but until then, I'll stick with component video and digital audio over coax. Thought this suggestion might help people having the same problems as me.

Sony's have been a PITA when trying to use HDMI since the HRs first came out. Samsungs were, but I don't see any posts about them anymore. I had two Sony TVs that I got rid of because of the HDMI problem. I don't think we can blame this on D*.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...